LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Car overheated, won't shift out of first!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2004, 08:00 PM

Angry Car overheated, won't shift out of first!

God my TA's a POS. Over the past month of so, I've had the rough idle/mid RPM stumble everyone complains about.

Well today I was out in it, and it took forever to shift out of first. Well I was trying to get it home, and a mile from my house, it overheated and stalled out. Now it won't shift out of first at all, and there's what sounds like an air leak coming from underneeth the passenger seat.

God this sucks. I think this may be the straw that broke the camels back, and it's time to get another G-Body.

Old 05-16-2004, 08:22 PM

When parts break, you make them stronger.
Old 05-16-2004, 08:25 PM

Sounds like you could have a clogged cat. The cat is right under the passenger seat, and if it got clogged that bad it could cause a leak up stream of it. It could also cause you to overheat, and lose tons of power.
Old 05-16-2004, 08:54 PM

Originally posted by DonHood
Sounds like you could have a clogged cat. The cat is right under the passenger seat, and if it got clogged that bad it could cause a leak up stream of it. It could also cause you to overheat, and lose tons of power.
I just had it replaced in March, what would cause it to become clogged?
Old 05-16-2004, 09:51 PM

Old 05-17-2004, 11:12 AM

Old 05-17-2004, 11:39 AM

Chill dude, some of us have to balance their work and their time on this board

I highly doubt it's your cat. If it was you'd still be able to shift, it would just put a cap on your high rpm ability.

If your tranny won't shift, 99% of the time that means it needs rebuilt. As to whether the overheating issue was the cause of this, well, it certainly could have helped.

As to overheating...

Leaks
Bad hoses
Bad pump
Bad radiator
Air in system
Fluid is old and nasty
Incorrect ignition timing can also play a role- if your opt is toast your car may run warmer
Also, if you have a lean condition combustion temps get elevated dangerously.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-17-2004, 11:41 AM

BTW, refill and bleed the coolant off, and take her for a drive when everything is cool. And check to for exhaust leaks underneath the car.
Old 05-17-2004, 02:09 PM

I'm not pissed cause of no responses, I'm pissed off at the car.

The trans was replaced with a brand new 4l60e by GM less than 10,000 miles ago. It shifts when I first take it out, but it's really hard, then ones everything heats up, it won't shift. also, the tach stops at 3500, but the motor continues to rev up beyond that.

I'm having someone look at it tomorrow.
Old 05-17-2004, 04:12 PM

Good call on that one.
You never know, it could be your opti. With the overheating and stalling, it could be possible, plus your tach signal originates from there, so...

It's too hard to diagnose most problems online, though, but the people you take it to should be able to tell you what's wrong if they're any good. Make sure and tell them all your problems, not just the ones with the tranny, or they may never realize it and just think the tranny is shot (which I know you hope isn't the problem). When my opti went I had an episode where I was merging onto the highway in 2nd gear and I went wot and it got up to 70 in 2nd gear and wouldn't go any further. I let off the gas and the thing jumped forward as it shifted into third. There was too much drag from non-working cylinders for it to reach redline and go to the next gear.

I hope they figure it out for you. Having your go fast car not go fast anymore sucks.
Old 05-17-2004, 06:16 PM

Heat is the #1 killer of transmissions.

- Z28WannaB
Old 05-17-2004, 06:29 PM

The reason I mentioned the cat, my buddy had a Saturn with a severely clogged cat. His car all of a sudden started overheating really bad, and wouldn't shift out of first gear. Every place that looked at it seemed to think it was the tranny, but everything on it checked out OK. His dad got a hold of it, gave the converter a good hollowing out, and it ran perfect after that.

Your situation sounds very similar.
Old 05-17-2004, 06:58 PM

I just dropped it off at the shop. I wrote up a whole page full of problems I had wrong with it, and they're going to check them all out tomorrow.
Old 05-19-2004, 09:26 PM

It's a clogged cat. GOt a call from the shopt today. The exhaust was backing up and throwing the O2 sensors, thats why it wasn't running right.

I had it replaced in January, so the shop said they'd cover it free of charge. RAWK!
Old 05-19-2004, 09:29 PM

I'm going to bet there is a code or two in the PCM, related to the tranny. They don't usually turn on the SES.

Quick Reply: Car overheated, won't shift out of first!