LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

OPTI problem solved

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2004, 06:58 PM

OPTI problem solved

Well I finally figured out my hesitation problem at low constant rpms. I thought it was the opti and very well could have contributided to it. But I ended up finding a spark plug(closest to the fire wall pass side) that looked like it had never seen a spark in its life. Just a bunch of black resin coating it. The wire was bad at the opti side. Corroded and didnt seat right. I started with the opti replacement befor checking plugs which might be considered foolish by some people. But I drove cars that had a non firing plug and this car did not seem to drive like the 3rd gen I had with a bad plug wire. I guess I just didn't know this lt1 well enough yet. Opti and water pump were replaced (not very tough) car drove better but still didnt seem to have the power I thought it should. So I spent about 4-5hours tuning up the passenger side with 300 accel wires and delco platinum plugs. Got to that last plug on this side and it was as I said gunked. After all was back together the car idled flawlessly. I drove the car and couldnt believe the power gain. If you own an LT1 motor and the wheels dont spin when floored there is definetly something wrong. This may sound a little hillbillyish but I had to acctually grease my arms to get to the back two plugs . HAAAAAAA!!! Drivers side seems alot easier to tune up. Thats comming soon (gotta let my cut up hands and arms heal). If anyone has any questions E-mail me and ill give my number. This site helped lots. Thanks Everyone!!
Old 02-29-2004, 08:44 PM

Congrats on fixin your problem. Now i've got a question for you. What exactly was your car doing when it was acting up? I've got a 96' z that has lost alot of power and when it gets warmed up good then it was to back fire when you get on it. I dont know what it is but have got a few suggestions such as opti and o2 but i'm broke so I want to try to guess at it as little as possible in other words try to fix the problem without replacing everything else first. So if you could then just desct your car was doin. thanks
Old 02-29-2004, 08:58 PM

Congrats! Driver side is much easier. I did them from below, and it took about 1/3 the time of the pass side. Enjoy, the worst part is over.