LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

opinion on cam

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 08:35 PM

opinion on cam

i have a 94 z28 with K&N intake, hooker short headers and Im about to re-do the exhaust maybe to 3". thing is it has a blown head gasket and since i have the heads off i was gonna get the intake and the heads ported. i have also been looking for a good cam to put in. i want something mean but not to crazy as this is my DD. im hoping to get in the maybe 350whp range. i like the low end of the stock cam but i would like to move the powe band up a bit without sacrifising the low end trq. any help wld b nice
Old 04-13-2009, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by JAYmaroz28
i have a 94 z28 with K&N intake, hooker short headers and Im about to re-do the exhaust maybe to 3". thing is it has a blown head gasket and since i have the heads off i was gonna get the intake and the heads ported. i have also been looking for a good cam to put in. i want something mean but not to crazy as this is my DD. im hoping to get in the maybe 350whp range. i like the low end of the stock cam but i would like to move the powe band up a bit without sacrifising the low end trq. any help wld b nice
Try hot cam good low and mid range ex. for street car! also gears would really help.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:43 PM

Since you want to maintain then low end torque while, at the same time increase power upstairs some, that immediately tells me that you have to concentrate on low-end and mid-range cams.

To do that you need to keep the duration short but increase the valve lift, tighten the LSA AND concentrate on a wider torque band.

It just so happens that I've been researching just such a combination for the past couple of weeks. Reading everything I can find and using my Engine Analyzer Pro simulation program to crunch the numbers.

In case you're not familar with the program, it costs right at $500 dollars and allows the user to enter virtually every parameter of the engine that effects torque and horsepower. It calculates and displays 42 different factors. If you want to see all the things it can do, go to Performance Trends website and read about the program. Program's amazing.

Since we're searching for the same thing, you should also concentrate on torque and let horsepower fall where ever it does. So far, on my son's 350, I've gotten a torque band that hits over 400 lb ft at 3400 rpm and remains over 400 through 4800. Even beyond 4800, torque only falls off gradually, 3-5 lb ft per 300 rpms or so.

I've run at least a hundred sims trying all sorts of different cam duration, LSA and duration split combinations until I got to where I am now.

I'm using CompCams Xtreme Energy lobes with their CRC technology. You'll find them listed in the Lobe Specifications section toward the rear of the catalog. Best specs so far are 214 @ .050, 109 LSA and no duration split (same lobe for intake and exhaust) and 1.7 rockers. The lobe number is 3190. No "off-the-shelf" grind can match it. $303 from Comp; 2-4 days to get it; it's a custom grind.

If you're really serious and want me to crunch your numbers, you'll have to send all of them to me so I can plug them in. In particular, I need your head flow numbers from .100 to .600, valve sizes and any mods you've made. If your engine is still mostly stock, I can use my specs, like rings, bearings, fan type, exhaust, windage, etc.

This is for my son's 96 LT1 Vette, who also wants torque, torque and more torque. Right now his engine is totally stock, but I'm swapping to Dart Pro1 180cc heads at the same time I swap cams, so I used Dart's head flow numbers.

If you prefer to do it yourself, stay short on the duration, stay on the narrow side on the LSA (Lobe Separation Angle) and no duration split for starters.

The GM HotCam has lazy ramps, which is something you don't want for a torque engine. You'll want to open those valves, especially the intake valves, really quickly.

Hope this helps.

Jake

West Point ROCKS!

Last edited by JAKEJR; 04-14-2009 at 07:02 AM. Reason: Correct spelling, etc.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by JAYmaroz28
You didn`t mention your gear ratio or auto or m6 My son`s car as a a4 with 3.73 with hot cam and le2 heads this combo work`s well also it passes smog here in ca. an not back on gas!
Old 04-14-2009, 12:22 PM

The CC503 would suit your needs.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:40 PM

CC503 or even the hotcam should be pretty good to suit your "needs."
Old 04-14-2009, 01:43 PM

its all stock except the I/H/E m6