LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

oil leaks. what is most likely????

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 10:02 AM
BTC

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY: Dalton, GA: Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Re: oil leaks. what is most likely????

Off topic, but are those OEM C6 wheels, or aftermarket?
Old 02-19-2018, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by wideglide2011
I have replaced the oil pan gasket ,timing cover gasket and seals.now on to the intake
any good tips to seal the intake??
]
Use the FelPro "printo" series intake gasket. They have the blue sealing bead around the intake ports

Permatex Black "ultra" RTV on the front & rear china walls and run it up about 1/2" onto the side intake gaskets

Make sure you drop the intake back on dead nuts on the motor. You don't want to have to "slide" it into position once dropped as it will push RTV off. Some people use short pieces of wood dowel on the front & rear bolt hole on one side of the engine to guide the intake on. Leaning over car placing the intake on exactly can be awkward. Try a few dry runs before putting on RTV or use dowels or something like them to assist in alignment if you want. I don't but some do.

Don't start motor until next day so RTV can cure after install. There is a TQ sequence for intake bolts. Basically starting center working out in cris cross pattern

when removing intake bolts use a piece of cardboard with holes punched in mimicking the order they are removed as some are different heights (studs) so you can put them back in order. Vacuum intake so debris does not fall into motor when you pop intake off. There is a pry point PS front of intake for removal

Haynes service book or FSM will have step by step procedure
Old 02-20-2018, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Chimera96
Use the FelPro "printo" series intake gasket. They have the blue sealing bead around the intake ports

Permatex Black "ultra" RTV on the front & rear china walls and run it up about 1/2" onto the side intake gaskets

Make sure you drop the intake back on dead nuts on the motor. You don't want to have to "slide" it into position once dropped as it will push RTV off. Some people use short pieces of wood dowel on the front & rear bolt hole on one side of the engine to guide the intake on. Leaning over car placing the intake on exactly can be awkward. Try a few dry runs before putting on RTV or use dowels or something like them to assist in alignment if you want. I don't but some do.

Don't start motor until next day so RTV can cure after install. There is a TQ sequence for intake bolts. Basically starting center working out in cris cross pattern

when removing intake bolts use a piece of cardboard with holes punched in mimicking the order they are removed as some are different heights (studs) so you can put them back in order. Vacuum intake so debris does not fall into motor when you pop intake off. There is a pry point PS front of intake for removal

Haynes service book or FSM will have step by step procedure
thanks for the tips on the intake install.does the felpro gasket make a big difference?? I already purchased another brand from summit is why I asked..
Old 02-21-2018, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by wideglide2011
thanks for the tips on the intake install.does the felpro gasket make a big difference?? I already purchased another brand from summit is why I asked..
The printo seal line of FelPro does seal better than standard gaskets. With that said the stock intake gaskets don't have this feature and for me were not a problem when my motor was stock

Summit is good about return or exchanges if you want to change to the printo type from FelPro