LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

odd starter problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2003, 11:57 PM

odd starter problem

383 Impala SS

Car started fine, then one day suddenly nothing. Turn key and nothing happened. Took starter to autozone and they said it was bad.

Bought a lt4 starter, and it didnt fit (hit header primary). Took the starter from the Z for the imp, and the lt4 starter on the z.

The z28 starter then got installed on the Imp. Turn key and the solenoid engauges, but it wont crank at all, dont even know if the starter is trying to turn.

There are 2 wires going to the starter. A big fat one, and a smaller yellow one. Does one engauge the solenoid, and the other is a signal wire to start turning? Im starting to think the headers may have put some heat on a wire and fouled/burned it.

If not, what else could be wrong? Freescan shows 11.5volts with key on run position for the battery, and all lights in car work. Maybe it lost its cranking ability? Try charging it? Im lost.
Old 07-22-2003, 12:39 AM

It could possibly be your clutch safety switch. One way to check is to run a lead wire from the small post on the starter to your + battery terminal. If that does not work then it has to be the starter because you are by passing all your safety lock outs on your car. BTW make sure your car is in neutral when you try cause if its in gear the car will jump forward.
Old 07-22-2003, 12:41 AM

Impala is an a4, so will the test show us anything?
Old 07-22-2003, 12:45 AM

A4's have the same thing except it's called an Neutral saftey switch. The switch won't let you start the car in gear. if its dead the circuit can't be completed and the car won't start.
Old 07-22-2003, 12:56 AM

Sorry if I am asking too many questions, but i have this thing with understanding things totally before attempting them.

If the safety switch is bad, would the solenoid engauge, and not crank? If i am under the car, i can see the starter gear kick into the flywheel, but it will not turn it at all. To me, it seems if a switch was bad the solenoid wouldnt engauge either unless i am missing something? Im pretty starter illiterate(sp?), teach me!
Old 07-22-2003, 01:03 AM

Your right if the safety switch was bad there would be no power going to your starter. Now if you can here your car try to start it's the starter. It could be a couple of things, 1 the starter is dead, 2 the starter was not installed right and has to much load on it (ie its binding on something), 3 and you don't want to think about this - the motor is seized.
Old 07-22-2003, 01:14 AM

Ive already thought about #3, Motor is fairly new (under 10k), and rarely run hard, gets me sick to think about it.

Guess i can unbolt the starter and turn the key and see what it does, that should eliminate installation errors. The starter is good for sure, it was in the Z working great, the lt4 is now in the Z working great too.

Also, the car will not "try to start at all". Im under the car with a freind trying to start, and as i said it doesnt turn over at all, the flywheel (flexwheel on a4s??) doesnt budge.
Old 07-22-2003, 01:24 AM

If the car does even try to start at all it could very possibly be the neutral safety switch. I you just want a temp fix run a lead wire from the small starter post into the center console and then tap into your power from your cig lighter and get a push button switch, then connect to two wire leads to each side of the push button switch and DANG you got yourself a cool push button start car. Just make sure you don't start your car in gear cause it WILL jump forward.
Old 07-22-2003, 09:04 AM

Might need to replace the big cable going from the batt to the starter. I just had this problem last week on my Z. The starter went bad and started pulling so many amps it took the cable with it. Bought a new starter, installed and the gear would kick out but not spin. If the only thing getting power is the small lead on the starter this will happen. Also check and clean all the terminals on the battery and any other leads. HTH.
Old 07-22-2003, 09:15 AM

Originally posted by btchincamaro
Might need to replace the big cable going from the batt to the starter. I just had this problem last week on my Z. The starter went bad and started pulling so many amps it took the cable with it. Bought a new starter, installed and the gear would kick out but not spin. If the only thing getting power is the small lead on the starter this will happen. Also check and clean all the terminals on the battery and any other leads. HTH.
I think that is the best 1st post i have ever seen on this board. Thank you, going outside to check over right now!
Old 07-22-2003, 03:50 PM

Update, main ground wire from battery was bad. All lights and stuff still worked, but i guess it couldnt carry the draw of the starter. Works like a champ, thanks guys