LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

no start, good spark and injecter pulse

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 07:12 AM

no start cranking with key, but runs fine when push started

"Hi,
Great forums here, hope to get some help as well.
I have a `95 Camaro with a 5.7L stick that will not start. It was backfiring after starting for a while, if you`d rev`d it slow it would seem to run
fine, but stab the throttle and it stumbled and backfired, but now it will not start at all. It has good spark on all plugs, injector pulse on all injectors, but will not fire, pop, or anything while cranking (even if you add fuel to through the intake). Here`s the really strange part, about 80% of the time when you release the key from crank, the motor tries to run backwards!! It`ll roll over real slow 2 or three times trying to run backwards, if you release the clutch in gear while it`s doing it, it`ll move backwards in a forward gear. We`ve done a complete tune-up, cap rotor, wires, plugs, changed the optical eye in the distributor, changed the ignition module, changed the coded tumbler and key, removed the aftermarket security system (which didn`t appear to be tied into any ignition wires) all with the same results. A diagnostic scan with the latest Snap-on SOLUS scan tool says nothing is wrong. Am I looking at a bad computer?? Any ideas and or responses would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks."

*edit*
as found out later in this thread, the car runs fine when push started. So it cranks in the right direction but pops off and runs backwards with the key, but runs fine when push started.

Last edited by Rukee; 06-12-2007 at 04:54 PM.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:29 AM

Bump for any ideas.....
Old 05-08-2007, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Rukee
Bump for any ideas.....
Today when I check for injection pulse width I have real light flickers with a noid (sp?) light. Not nice and bright like you`d expect. Any ideas from anyone??
Old 05-08-2007, 01:53 PM

"Hi,
Great forums here, hope to get some help as well.
I have a `95 Camaro with a 5.7L stick that will not start. It was backfiring after starting for a while, if you`d rev`d it slow it would seem to run
fine, but stab the throttle and it stumbled and backfired, but now it will not start at all. It has good spark on all plugs, injector pulse on all injectors, but will not fire, pop, or anything while cranking (even if you add fuel to through the intake). Here`s the really strange part, about 80% of the time when you release the key from crank, the motor tries to run backwards!! It`ll roll over real slow 2 or three times trying to run backwards, if you release the clutch in gear while it`s doing it, it`ll move backwards in a forward gear. We`ve done a complete tune-up, cap rotor, wires, plugs, changed the optical eye in the distributor, changed the ignition module, changed the coded tumbler and key, removed the aftermarket security system (which didn`t appear to be tied into any ignition wires) all with the same results. A diagnostic scan with the latest Snap-on SOLUS scan tool says nothing is wrong. Am I looking at a bad computer?? Any ideas and or responses would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks."
Well if it's trying to run backwards it must be trying to start backwards. Have you messed with the starter wires at all?
Old 05-08-2007, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Well if it's trying to run backwards it must be trying to start backwards. Have you messed with the starter wires at all?
Absolutely not. The engine wasn`t removed nor was anything rewired, it was running fine. The motor turns over the correct direction, only when you release the key from crank position does it try to go backwards.....I said it was really strange.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:53 PM

Absolutely not. The engine wasn`t removed nor was anything rewired, it was running fine. The motor turns over the correct direction, only when you release the key from crank position does it try to go backwards.....I said it was really strange.
In that case it reads like cylinders are firing when they shouldn't be. My best guess is the rotor screws in your optispark have come loose causing the rotor to spin freely firing cylinders at will. You may have good pulse and "spark" but what you don't know is if that spark is supposed to be firing when it should.
Did you do the tune up before or after this happened? Whatever the case may be it sounds ignition related.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Did you do the tune up before or after this happened? Whatever the case may be it sounds ignition related.
Tune-up was done after it wouldn`t start. While doing the tune-up the rotor screws and two cap screws snapped so the distributer was replaced with a used one, original optical sensor was installed with the tune-up. Optical sensor was then replaced with the used one after the tune-up was done and it wouldn`t start with the original optical sensor. While doing the optical sensor, nothing was out of line or rubbing inside the cap.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:03 PM

It's odd it would go backwards if the plug wires not crossed over. If you have fuel and spark, what is your compression?
Old 05-08-2007, 05:38 PM

Sumptin' is bassackwards....
Old 05-08-2007, 07:09 PM

It was running just fine, then it wouldn`t start for a while, then it would start and run good with a light throttle but would buck and backfire hard if you were too quick with the throttle, then it wouldn`t start at all. After it wouldn`t start at all is when the tune-up, used optical sensor and ignition module replaced. Got a busy day but I`ll try to check compression on a few cylinders tomorrow.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:28 PM

If you have compression and spark and you are adding fuel manually so you know it's getting in and it still does not fire the only thing left is the spark is happening at the wrong time.

So since I don't know if this has been asked/done I will ask. First has compression been done (at least on a back cylinder ) to preclude a broken cam???????

Has valve timing been checked for a slipped timing chain??????
Old 05-15-2007, 09:38 AM

Compression on cyl # 7 is 125psi while cranking, and bounced up to 145psi when the motor again tried to fire and rolled over backwards when the key was released from crank. Just picked up a used computer and the same results. Any ideas??
Old 05-15-2007, 04:43 PM

125 psi is way too low. Which cylinder is that? What are the other cylinders reading? You won't get any compression with a reading like that.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:44 AM

There are a few things you must do when checking compression. First and foremost is pull the fuse(s) for the injectors. If fuel is squirting in the cylinders while you are testing the compression, it can reduce the compression reading.

Second, the throttle butterflys must be wide open.

Last, since you are partly there already, it's a good idea to watch the valve movement along with the piston to check for proper valve timing.

Last edited by Guest47904; 05-16-2007 at 05:50 AM.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by speedygonzales
There are a few things you must do when checking compression. First and foremost is pull the fuse(s) for the injectors. If fuel is squirting in the cylinders while you are testing the compression, it can reduce the compression reading.

Second, the throttle butterflys must be wide open.
And put a battery charger on the car. Its not the number you are looking for per se' but that they are even all across.

But of course if all 8 cylinders have like 80psi then you have a big problem.

How many miles on this thing??

Is it possible that the timing chain has jumped? or that you installed the opti of of time??

Quick Reply: no start, good spark and injecter pulse