LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Need help bad! cars falling apart and can't figure it out

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 03:46 PM

Need help bad! cars falling apart and can't figure it out

Whats wrong: car is throwing codes po133, po153, B251, and b151. The guy said bad O2's. Does anyone know if thats correct and what all those codes mean?? Also the car is running bad it almost sounds cammed.

When it happened: I replaced all the 02's along with a computer from madz28.com a few months after the header install and it was running fine. Idled normal. Then the passenger side gave a slow response and the car would miss. I replaced the wires with OTVC (last week) and had 3 burnt wires. It seems to fix the idle a little bit. After the wires i started it up and it would bearly run idles at 500 and would drop down and lights flicker. Let it sit started it back up and ran fine. It had white smoke coming out of the back and more then normal water dripping out of the cut out. It wasn't to cold but once i drove round the block it seemed fine and the smoke stopped.
Now i got it rescanned and it is throwing those codes??

1. What could cause the 02s to go bad like that 1st it was a slow response from the passenger side for a few months. and now they both go out??

2. Could there be something burning in my car that would foul the 02's?? (the white smoke??) I'm not sure if it was doing it cuz the car was cold or not but it did it again after i let it sit for ten mins and started it back up.. a little bit came out.

3. Can you think of anything else that might be wrong?! All these problems are driving me nuts.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:26 PM

Re: Need help bad! cars falling apart and can't figure it out

Did you have to extend the wires to the 02s with the Lts? Just wondering since the O2s need a certain voltage to operate correctly and if you did the splice yourself rather than get longer wires it might cause a problem with the amount of juice going to the sensors. BTW this is just a BS response, but just food for thought.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:45 PM

Nope i used 02 extension no slicing..
Old 11-15-2005, 11:24 PM
Administrator

P0133 = Bank 1 pre-cat sensor slow response
P0153 = Bank 2 pre-cat sensor slow response
P0151 = Bank 2 pre-cat sensor low circuit voltage
P0251 = not listed as a valid code (possibly it was P0131??)

Slow response can be a sign of a contaminated sensor. With the white smoke and higher than normal water content in the exhaust, is it possible you have a head gasket problem? If you are using conventional coolant (non-Dexcool), the silicates in the coolant can contaminate the sensors.

Or, it might just be that you are seeing more condensate in the cold exhaust, because the weather has turned cooler and it takes more time to heat the exhaust system up to the point where the normal water in the exhuast gasses doesn't condense out.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:31 PM

If the 02's require a certain voltage, does the MAF require a certain voltage? I recently installed a ram air kit, and just spliced my MAF wires. Haven't noticed anything weird, but thought I would ask.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:13 AM
Administrator

Not sure I understand your question.

The O2 sensors rely on a very tiny voltage, generated by a zirconium membrane, with exhaust gas on one side, and ambient air on the other. The difference in O2 mole pecent concentration develops a tiny voltage, which either adds to or subtracts from the 450mV signal provided by the PCM, giving them a working range of 00X - 100X millivolts. Any resistance problems due to poor splices, extensions, connectors, etc will affect the small voltage signal.

The MAF sensor is completely different. It requires a 12V power supply, and the output is a variable frequency, riding on a constant voltage carrier. Since the PCM is looking only at the frequency, and converting frequency to mass air flow using the calibration table, there is no affect due to resistance or voltage changes in the MAF circuit.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:26 AM

Well thanks for the help man. And the dude did infact right down a B 251... guess he messed up.

But how can i check for a blown head gasket btw?? The car seems to be running strong so wouldn't there be a a huge loss in power from that??

Also im thinking it might just be condensation. But that one night i didn't think it was cold enough at all for it but once it warmed up it went away... I also thought i smelt something in the exhaust but wasn't sure since i dont remember since i've never really got down to smelling it before.