LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

motor mount problems.........bolt wont slide out!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2003, 10:50 AM

motor mount problems.........bolt wont slide out!!!

installing longtubes..............driver side was EASY!!!!!.......didnt even have to remove oil filter........slid right in less than a minute.

however.....that must mean my motor mounts are really sagging towards the passenger side

i can slide the header up almost completely.......however, it gets hung up on a head bolt and needs about 1/2-3/4 inch more clearance

so far ive undone the passenger motor mount bolt and slide it out as far as i can..........BUT THE DAMN THING WONT COME OUT!!!!!.......there are some hard 1/2 inch lines blocking me from pulling it straight out........but i should still be able to pull it out at an angle because it has cleared one side of the mount...............so i start slowly jacking the motor up tiny bits at a time, then trying to slide the bolt out........but it wont budge no matter what.

ive tried just jacking the motor up a bunch to see if i could slide the header in without removing the bolt, but the whole damn car starst to lift up before the motor mount even budges.......i really dont want to lift my car via the oil pan so i give up

what should i try next?

ps, there is no possible way it will go in from the top the motor is too far to the passenger side
Old 07-17-2003, 10:54 AM

just thought of something............should i try unbolting the transmission mount and jacking the engine up?
Old 07-17-2003, 11:27 AM

Mine was just the opposite. The passengers side slid right in. Had the old maifolds and all the extra stuff off and the passengers side in, in about 1 1/2 hours. The drivers side took me two days. After wrestling with it for 1 1/2 days, I raise the motor and it went rigth in. Just had to button it up, added plugs and wires and she fired rigth up.
DO NOT TAKE BOTH MOTOR MOUNT BOLTS OUT AT THE SAME TIME. I hear it is next to impossible to get them lined back up right.
Old 07-17-2003, 11:28 AM

Just bend the lines out of the way far enough to get the bolt out.
Old 07-17-2003, 11:38 AM

Originally posted by joeSS97
Just bend the lines out of the way far enough to get the bolt out.

i did that...........the lines are not the problem.......the bolt itself is just jammed in there, it wont slide out.............i thought jacking the motor up slightly would relieve tension on the bolt.......but the whole car raises up instead of just the motor.
Old 07-17-2003, 11:50 AM

Ok,its been a while.I remember having the same problem.I believe I had to pry the bolt out with a pry bar.Or knock it out with a punch.One of those should work.
Old 07-17-2003, 12:35 PM

Originally posted by joeSS97
Ok,its been a while.I remember having the same problem.I believe I had to pry the bolt out with a pry bar.Or knock it out with a punch.One of those should work.
well i ran out of time today (have to goto work)............ill give that a shot tomorrow morning.................now im worried that if i need the prybar to get it out..........how the hell am i gonna get it back in!?!?!?

guess ill cross that bridge when i come to it
Old 07-17-2003, 03:40 PM

i was sitting here at work, thinking that if my motor mounts are sagging so much to one side........i might as well replace them............so i overnighted some from paul @ thunderracing.......now i better be able to get that bolt out!
Old 07-17-2003, 07:09 PM

I learned the hard way. I installed AS&M's and then the header flange bumped into things and then I had to do the motor mounts. I wish someone had warned me before hand because i was close to taking the passenger side header out to get to the motor mount. I used a prybar and lots of swearing to get the bolt out!!
Old 07-17-2003, 08:05 PM

If it is hung on the threaded portion, perhaps you can just screw it out.
Old 07-17-2003, 08:09 PM

Yep thats how i got mine out. Just had to keep unscrewing it then put a box end wrench on the head and bang with a small sledge hammer until it came out. Went back in and no problems since a year ago that i installed them.