LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

LTX Removal Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 10:17 PM

LTX Removal Question

Because my car has a completely removable center center core support, it seems that it would be much, much easier to remove from the top as I have a ton of clearance in the front. I was planning on using this as it seems many have had consistent success with it:

https://www.tpis.com/parts/view/67

My question is, I have an auto; if I unbolt the tranny, will it stay in place since there's a cross member and tranny mount attached to it? I see where someone said I'd need to put a back under the tranny.

Last edited by snorkelface; 10-28-2017 at 10:56 PM.
Old 10-28-2017, 11:09 PM
Administrator

Re: LTX Removal Question

The cross-member supports the tailshaft housing of the trans, way in the back. The engine supports the front of the trans. When you pull the engine forward, the front of the trams will drop, likely causing damage - cross-member, trans mount, or the tailshaft housing. Crib the front of the trans with stacked lumber.
Old 10-28-2017, 11:35 PM

Re: LTX Removal Question

Got it! Thanks for the info!

Originally Posted by Injuneer
The cross-member supports the tailshaft housing of the trans, way in the back. The engine supports the front of the trans. When you pull the engine forward, the front of the trams will drop, likely causing damage - cross-member, trans mount, or the tailshaft housing. Crib the front of the trans with stacked lumber.