LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

ltcc install ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 10:18 AM

ltcc install ?

Well I got my ltcc in yesterday and got everything put together.
Followed the instructions and fired the car, it seem to run fine for like 15 seconds then backfired threw the intake and died. Nice!
So I checked and re-checked all the connections and they seem to be fine.
I am going to pull the opti back off and make sure that silly needle in a hay stack gm designed is in the slot properly...for those that are not familiar with a vented opti it has a nipple that comes off the cam and slides into the back of the opti.
What's is weird is I don’t have any indicator lights on at all on the ltcc module itself? It has red and green indicator lights on it and nothing is lit-up?
So Sunday I am going to pull the opti back off and make sure it is on correctly but wanted to start a post on this incase others are interested in this and also to see if anyone that has already installed the ltcc has any suggestions?
I e-mailed bob and we will see what he thinks?
Old 07-27-2008, 04:49 PM

Ok, well i have spent a ton of time beating my head against the wall with this ltcc install.
quadrouple checking all the conenctions, tinkering with all the wiring trying to make sure it's good.
went and got a reman distributor only to have that not work, so i went back again and got another reman and that aslo didnt work.
keep getting 3 blinks from the ltcc, high res error.
I have sent a bunch of e-mails to bob from ltcc and i am thinking he dont check e-mails on the weekends.
I have pretty much hit a dead end and could use some help from anyone that has installed one of these things?
I guess next thing i will try is a new factory gm opti.
Old 07-27-2008, 04:58 PM
Administrator

Have you checked the Opti harness connectors for corrosion or pin damage? There are two connectors - on at the Opti, and one on the passenger side of the intake manifold.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:24 PM

Hi, i did check connectors and wiring and as far as i can tell they look ok.
I think i am going to order a new opti this week cause if i cant get the ltcc going i am going to need a new one anyway, reason i decided to do the ltcc mod was due to the rotor comming off the opti, car ran fine before that.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:16 PM

OK, This is the 3rd opti on the car, reman but i would think at least 1 of the 3would have a good opti sensor.

checked fuses and they are fine, i put in a 25a just for the heck of it

checked fuel pressure and its 41psi, that should be ok

checked for spark and it shocked me...didn't feel good so i would say we have spark

got a solid green on your ltcc when cranking

after ~20 seconds or so get 2 red blinks, repeatedly

opti is on correctly

ltcc seems to not be firing the coils at the correct time, backfiring threw intake. so coil is firing when valve is open.

I seems like the ltcc box is not translating the timing correctly to fire the coils at the correct time.

verified 12v key on for the ltcc 2 pink wires to my pink wire (95 is pink)

verified 1.8v burst from the opti when cranking (white wire) so it seems to be sending the signal.

can anyone think of anything else i can check?
Thanks!
Old 07-28-2008, 08:04 PM

Only the GM opti's seem to work with this setup. Dont ask me why but the remans do not for some reason. Sorry, that is all the help i can give.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:21 PM

Don't understand why this setup is used when it is still opti dependent?
Old 07-29-2008, 10:55 AM

I just ordered a new opti harness from ebay since it was not expensive and will order a new gm opti today from summit.

reason i tried this setup was to take the spark out of the opti, theory is to make it last longer but to be honest if i had known what i do now...probably wouldnt have done it.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:31 AM

Did you get it going? Mine is doing the same thing.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:57 AM

yup, got it going.
the problem was the gm coil harness that came with the coils was connected to the coils in-correctly.
Instead of the drivers side being 1,3,5,7 it was 7,5,3,1
I would have never guessed that as i never disconnected the coil harness from the coils and its the original gm coil harness.
follow all the colors back to the correct coil and make sure the correct color goes to each coil, dont assume the coil harness is correct at the coils as mine was not!
also from speaking to Bob Bailey, I will take a second to thank him for all his help, he was great and seems to be a nice guy in general.
Make sure your signal wire goes to the white wire on the icm pigtail, dont connect to the white/black wire or any other wire for that matter, if you did the box is fried and needs to be sent back in for repair, thank god i didnt do that and it was just the coil harness connection at the coils.
so the white from the ltcc goes to the white on the icm, if you car is not a 95 just double check to make sure that in fact the white wire is the opti signal wire, it will be in the chilton's book. i would also check it for a pulse, should be 1-4v when cranking

also make sure you disconnect the icm and coil wires from the original stock icm and coil in front if the drivers side head.

also make sure your 2 pink wires are going to the coil harness wire that is 12v key-on, check this with a multi-meter or the chiltons book

do you have a constant green led on the ltcc when cranking, if so you are getting a good signal, if not check the signal wire to the opti pigtail again and make sure its on good.

Last edited by CGrant; 08-08-2008 at 11:06 AM.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:29 AM

forgot to mention make sure your not using a reman opti, i guess some folks have had issues with the ltcc running on the reman's?

edit, i just remembered that when i had the reman opti's on i was not getting a constant green led from the opti so i would say something is off on those reman opti's as far as the opti sensor goes, for some reason the ltcc didnt like them, if i remember...they were cardone brand or something like that.

Last edited by CGrant; 08-08-2008 at 03:22 PM.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:57 PM

I had the coil plugs backwards.
Old 08-09-2008, 08:07 PM

cool!
how does your car run now, i noticed a big difference as it runs alot smoother now with the ltcc than it did before.
Old 08-09-2008, 10:33 PM

Make sure all the grounds are good, ltcc has alot of grounds..
Old 08-10-2008, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by CGrant
cool!
how does your car run now, i noticed a big difference as it runs alot smoother now with the ltcc than it did before.

I haven't gotten to take it out yet. I am waiting on a header gasket. I also put on a 58 MM TB and it's only opening 3/4 of the way. I am going to fix it all tomorrow and take it back to the dyno and fine tune it.