LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Lioyd Elliot or Advanced Induction heads?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2004, 06:54 AM

It seems to me that most that decide to go with Lloyd's heads do because of his price. Sure, its cheaper. But the heads are not the place to be skimping out or cutting corners. This is where you make your power! If you're going to be spending money on them, why not go ahead and get what is pretty much agreed on as the best-AI. Then you wont have any "well, if I'd done this instead of this, I might be running what that Greenbean guy does..."
Old 02-13-2004, 07:56 AM

I don't think anyone can say buying heads from Lloyd is skimping out, at least not with a straight face. The power numbers people are talking about just in this thread are enough to put that down...
Old 02-13-2004, 08:27 AM

Originally posted by GreenbeanZ28
It seems to me that most that decide to go with Lloyd's heads do because of his price. Sure, its cheaper. But the heads are not the place to be skimping out or cutting corners. This is where you make your power! If you're going to be spending money on them, why not go ahead and get what is pretty much agreed on as the best-AI. Then you wont have any "well, if I'd done this instead of this, I might be running what that Greenbean guy does..."
In that case why not buy some LT4 or AFR heads and have ported? They would flow better than the stock ported heads, thus making them better than AI's heads right.

If your needing to go all out and get every single hp out of your car with the stock heads then go with AI, but if you want to spend $500-800 less and be within 5-10rwhp then go with Lloyd. Hell, $500 will buy a lot of other parts that you may not be able to get if you get the AI heads/cam.
Old 02-13-2004, 08:39 AM

for everybody that is basically saying to spend what ever it takes to get the most rwhp. then why didn't they spend the money on some lt4's, trick flow's, edelbrock's, or afr and then have them ported. that would make more power. in the game of hod rodding there is always a little more you could do. there is always a little more money that needs to be spent to get 5 or 10 more hp. but i dont know about everyone else but my pockets aren't endless and i work hard for every dime that i get and want to get the most quality for the money. that is why i went with lloyd. yes maybe people have a tad bit more power with AI heads but maybe the extra money saved on the heads could be used for bigger injectors or something like that which will compliment the heads in which case making more power also.

as long as each individual is happy with there product (which it looks like there is) then why try to down play anyone elses choices.
Old 02-13-2004, 08:46 AM

Originally posted by RedWS6TA
for everybody that is basically saying to spend what ever it takes to get the most rwhp. then why didn't they spend the money on some lt4's, trick flow's, edelbrock's, or afr and then have them ported. that would make more power. in the game of hod rodding there is always a little more you could do. there is always a little more money that needs to be spent to get 5 or 10 more hp. but i dont know about everyone else but my pockets aren't endless and i work hard for every dime that i get and want to get the most quality for the money. that is why i went with lloyd. yes maybe people have a tad bit more power with AI heads but maybe the extra money saved on the heads could be used for bigger injectors or something like that which will compliment the heads in which case making more power also.

as long as each individual is happy with there product (which it looks like there is) then why try to down play anyone elses choices.
Wow that looks just like my post only in different words. I guess great minds think alike.
Old 02-13-2004, 09:17 AM

I have a set of Lloyds heads and with stock valves I am putting down right around 425rwhp. Last year I dynoed my car with stock heads+Hotcam=320rwhp is what I got then sprayed a 125 shot and=425rwhp&500rwtq. was the result. At the track on n2o I ran 11.67@116mph with the same gear, weight and a better 60' than I ran 2weeks ago N/A ran 11.66@117mph on a 1.69 60' spinning quite a bit. I am very impressed by Lloyds work, prices (unbeleiveable) best bang for the buck for my car besides N20, and his outstanding customer service! Last year I was stuck in the 12.3-5 range and wasn't ready to take any comforts out of the car like A/c, seats or stuff like that to go faster so I got a cam from JoeO and heads fro Lloyd and I now run 11.6's@117 first time out w/o dynotuning and spinning. Now I have changed to a tighter converter to help the spinning prob and p/u some mph too. I will be at the track when it quits raining to get some 11.4-11.5 timeslips and 118-119mph. After that some real dyno#'s which I am sure will backup my thoeries. Later Clint
Old 02-13-2004, 10:10 AM

*shrug* I'm not too happy with lloyd's heads (or something else on my car).

Dyno

Looks like a stock head/aftermarket cam car to me.....but its not.

Its a 383 with Lloyd's Heads and a 230/236/112 .544/.555 cam with 10.7 compression in front of a 6spd and 3.42 gears through a 10bolt.

Longtubes, no cats, borla, pcmforless tune(might be some hp left in the tune, not 70 though)

Stock intake/injectors/tb before you go off on me for the stock injectors, http://m0nk.sytes.net/images/wot383.uni there is a datamaster file from a WOT run on the street with injector DC at like 84% max

The car runs abolutely perfect. Rockers are adjusted properly, car will rev to 7k if you want it to. No backfires, anything.

I don't see where this 5rwhp for $500 comes from. http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...hreadid=177425 same stuff different heads

Last edited by Serene; 02-13-2004 at 10:13 AM.
Old 02-13-2004, 10:41 AM

I think all the head porters put in the time to find that every ounce of air...and to be honest the heads atop my engine are not done by the big name shops but also a hand porter I've known and good friend of mine...My feeling is the small time porters making it out there all put out about the same work..And you cant base how one compares to another over 3-4 cfm...or the cars performance on the track...alot of the performance end of it ,comes with the combination of parts used to compliment the heads..So I feel there shouldnt be a competition or debate on whos heads are better out of "lt1/lt4" stock castings seeing just about all the heads flow generally in the same range..some keeping runner small and getting good low lift and other opening the runner up and outdoing peak lift..... so really its the end user who decides I doubt very seriously unless the porter just didnt know what they were doing..that if 2 cars identically setup and only changed the heads that their would be that much variation if any in power or performance from any of the porters mentioned here..It would amount down to me customer service,cost, and repeatable good things being heard about ones work...Flow benches flow different than others and depending how they are flowed will determine what the head does....One bench could read low, one could read high....but longs the air picked up, was on the same bench. Thats all that really matters in the end..
Old 02-13-2004, 11:49 AM

Originally posted by Joes94TA
alot of the performance end of it ,comes with the combination of parts used to compliment the heads.

So I feel there shouldnt be a competition or debate on whos heads are better out of "lt1/lt4" stock castings seeing just about all the heads flow generally in the same range..some keeping runner small and getting good low lift and other opening the runner up and outdoing peak lift..... so really its the end user who decides I doubt very seriously unless the porter just didnt know what they were doing..that if 2 cars identically setup and only changed the heads that their would be that much variation if any in power or performance from any of the porters mentioned here.
same stuff on mine and that other one except the heads. 70hp difference. Granted he might have a bigger TB or something minor like that, but 70hp, come on.

Flow isnt everything
Old 02-13-2004, 01:23 PM

Stock intake/injectors/tb before you go off on me for the stock injectors, http://m0nk.sytes.net/images/wot383.uni there is a datamaster file from a WOT run on the street with injector DC at like 84% max

serene replace that Tb with a bigger one and watch what the injector does....air has to get into the motor, before it can use it
Old 02-13-2004, 01:43 PM

Originally posted by Serene
I really wonder about this 84% DC for stock injectors with your cam and CI's(383). I was on stock injectors with HOT cam and stock LT4 and pulling over 90+% on a WOT run, that is with the stock FP. If you have raised the FP maybe that is the case but then that might be why you are down on power, too rich. Joe is right though, that big mover of air is going to need to breathe. The air intake difference btwn 52 and 58 might seriously be significant at your level.

To get back on topic: I vote for AI just b/c I have seen his work. From the board here, LE has a great rep and this is the first car I have seen not satisfied. But there is alot that make up a combo, not just the heads.
Old 02-13-2004, 03:10 PM

Cool

As of today my heads are on the way to Loyd. Just made too much sense not to use him. Can't wait to get a first ride when the car is done.

Stock injectors are not capable of supplying enough fuel for that engine. A duty cycle that high is too high. Throw a set of 30lb units in along with a 58mm TB and get a retune.
Old 02-13-2004, 03:34 PM

Originally posted by Shon Herron
I really wonder about this 84% DC for stock injectors with your cam and CI's(383). I was on stock injectors with HOT cam and stock LT4 and pulling over 90+% on a WOT run, that is with the stock FP. If you have raised the FP maybe that is the case but then that might be why you are down on power, too rich. Joe is right though, that big mover of air is going to need to breathe. The air intake difference btwn 52 and 58 might seriously be significant at your level.

To get back on topic: I vote for AI just b/c I have seen his work. From the board here, LE has a great rep and this is the first car I have seen not satisfied. But there is alot that make up a combo, not just the heads.
The injectors dont have to supply the fuel for the SAE hp. That is just a calculated number. Uncorrected hp is what the injectors have to supply. In this case a peak hp of 292. Dyno correction factor was 1.17.

I have a set of 30# here that I am going to put in today

You really think I can gain most of that hp back with a tb and injectors?
Old 02-13-2004, 03:43 PM

Originally posted by 1982z28with18s
In that case why not buy some LT4 or AFR heads and have ported? They would flow better than the stock ported heads, thus making them better than AI's heads right.

If your needing to go all out and get every single hp out of your car with the stock heads then go with AI, but if you want to spend $500-800 less and be within 5-10rwhp then go with Lloyd. Hell, $500 will buy a lot of other parts that you may not be able to get if you get the AI heads/cam.
5-10 rwhp and 7 or 8 mph right? You're crazy if you really believe you will be within 5-10 hp. More like 40-45. How many of Lloyd's cars dyno as much as mine does(and its got major problems)? None. How many trap 119.5 the first time to the track(on seven cylinders at that)? None. What I'm saying is just have them done right. If I wanted to make 370 or 380 to the wheels, I would have saved even more over Lloyd and done them myself.

If I had a set of LT4's laying around, I would have them ported. But as far as the AFR's, no way, not on a street car with a stock computer. Ask Phil, he can show you the graph, not just tell you what they flow....he can show you where his LT4's bust *** on a set of CNC'd AFR's up to .600 lift.
Old 02-13-2004, 03:56 PM

His point is not only Phil does good work. My car ran 117mph first trip to the track with Lloyds heads, 3.42 gears, full interior, 226-234 cam (small IMO), and too loose of a converter. Now next time out I will run at least 118mph maybe even 119-120 with only a mialorder tune and a 52mm when I need a 58mm T.B. Steve(SAR2K) ran 119mph with his own ported heads and both cars are autos which always trap lower than M6's. So it's not just Phils heads. I am very happy with my $600 port job!

Quick Reply: Lioyd Elliot or Advanced Induction heads?