LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

LE2, Trickflow, AFR HEAD choices

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 07:01 AM

LE2, Trickflow, AFR HEAD choices

I haven't found an updated thread on this in my research so im going to start one.

I know they are all good and have their pros and cons. Whats everyone's experience with the above head selections? Ive been leaning towards the LE2 setup but in some reading read the trick flow setup wasn't a bad choice either, specs dont look bad for their 185 gen x head, as as far as a package setup seems stout, LE comes in cheaper and also seems like a great choice....my heads now are OEM and have 30k on them. from my reading they are a good head themselves. the aftermarket ones seem to have alot of cnc work which i do like. opinions??

As far as the AFR i haven't looked into them much aside from reading forums.
Old 05-15-2018, 04:07 PM
Administrator

Re: LE2, Trickflow, AFR HEAD choices

LE quotes typical flow values for each of his head porting levels. Trick Flow and AFR also publish flow numbers. While bench flow isn’t an absolute indicator of head performance, it’s a place to start.

Note also, for example, LE ports the out-of-the-box Trick Flows for improvements over the Trick Flow published numbers. Advanced Induction also ports the Trick Flow heads. AI also ports the GM LT4 heads.

It all comes down to “how fast do you want to go? - how much do you want to spend?”

Last edited by Injuneer; 05-16-2018 at 11:03 AM.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:45 AM

im still thinking LE2 heads i was just browsing around and saw i could get a set for a little more money and wasnt sure if it was a larger gain. Im just looking for a mild setup. i dont need 800 hp. (I shouldn't swear like that lmao) A good friend of mine has a neighbor that works on these for a living, hes excited to go over some stuff with me and help me out. should get the ball rolling next week.
Old 05-27-2018, 06:23 AM

Tell us more..What did you decide?
Old 05-29-2018, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by plattted
Tell us more..What did you decide?
well after some investigation on the few oil leaks i have, im thinking my head isn't leaking. it hasn't gotten any worse. Im thinking it is residual from the intake when i did it, and that looks good. soooooo....after a lot of research and talking with a few people im going to go with a procharger kit. I got a nice setup lined up with low mileage that im going to set up. My thoughts on this is ill get just as much power out of that and have the room to expand later if i got bored. planning on the charger, ford green tops, the gauges of course, refresh my opti, new plugs and wires while im there, and change the cam seal as well as the water pump drive seal. One of the gentleman i was talking do has a perfected tune from his dads trans am, all i have to do is buy a liscence for his tuning SW.

Opti question.....the slots in the internal wheel gets pluged from my understanding get plugged with oxidation/ozone. disassembling the opti and cleaning that nicely should do the trick right?
Old 05-29-2018, 05:51 PM
Administrator

The ozone causes rust in the Opti internals, but not the stainless steel disc. The rust particles tend to collect in the portion of the module that contains the light emitters/receptors. Can’t reliably send the light through the slotted disc, or reliably detect the light. May be able to clean it. If you don’t have a problem leave it alone. Some of the OEM units have lasted upwards of 200,000 miles. There are other possible failure modes, besides the optical module.

Ozone is primarily a problem with the unvented units used in 93/94. 95 and up added a vent system to remove the ozone. What year is your car?

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1...nature-879835/
Old 05-29-2018, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
The ozone causes rust in the Opti internals, but not the stainless steel disc. The rust particles tend to collect in the portion of the module that contains the light emitters/receptors. Can’t reliably send the light through the slotted disc, or reliably detect the light. May be able to clean it. If you don’t have a problem leave it alone. Some of the OEM units have lasted upwards of 200,000 miles. There are other possible failure modes, besides the optical module.

Ozone is primarily a problem with the unvented units used in 93/94. 95 and up added a vent system to remove the ozone. What year is your car?

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1...nature-879835/
I do need a signature....lol it's a 96. It has a little rough idle, plugs and wires could fix it who knows.