LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Jet-hot install problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 08:34 PM

Jet-hot install problem

I'm in the process of installing my long tubes.
The install is really easy to this point. Took at most 4 hours including beer breaks.

Problem #1. I just don't have enough clearance to slide the passenger header in. I need to jack the motor up a bit.
What is the best way to lift the motor? Put a block of wood over the jack and lift under the oil pan ok?

Problem #2. The air fitting on the headers are the same size as stock. The coupler is too small at the header end. Would I find a plumbing coupler at a hardware store that would work?

Thanks in advance,

Ryan
Old 06-02-2004, 09:10 PM

As far as jacking up the motor, i removed the bolts, then put a board under the tranny. If you put the board to one side or the other, you can jack the engine tward the drivers/passenger side.

I had to jack the engine as far as i could upward and tward the drivers side, then have my dad feed the header down to me, and really wiggle and pull it until it finally fit down in.

Cant help ya with the AIR fitting, i cut mine out with a recipricating saw
Old 06-02-2004, 09:37 PM

Re: Jet-hot install problem

Originally posted by Flyin_Z28
The install is really easy to this point. Took at most 4 hours including beer breaks.

Problem #1. I just don't have enough clearance to slide the passenger header in. I need to jack the motor up a bit.
What is the best way to lift the motor? Put a block of wood over the jack and lift under the oil pan ok?

Problem #2. The air fitting on the headers are the same size as stock. The coupler is too small at the header end. Would I find a plumbing coupler at a hardware store that would work?

Thanks in advance,

Ryan
Romove the one bolt and nut on the passenger side motor mount (not the 3 smaller ones that go into the block.. those will be hard to line back up.. just romove the one big one at the other end of the mount) Take a block of wood and place it under the oil pan and raise has high as you need to slip the header up and in.

Your tranny is too tight with your k-member isn't it? Exact same problem I had... I got so close but then the collecter wouldn't squeeze by.

About the AIR fitting.. I'm a little confused. Do you mean the Jet-Hot female fitting it too big for your stock male AIR fitting? If thats what you mean.. I also had that problem. I have the later style AIR fitting (18mm) and the one Jet-Hot sent was the older style (93 LT1s I think used it) Anyway... I found a specialty fasteners store, and got an adaptor from them. I was told I woul dnever find one.. but their out there

Hope that helps
Old 06-02-2004, 10:34 PM

Re: Jet-hot install problem

Thanks in advance,

Ryan
Remove the motor mount bolt. It's safe to jack by the oil pan if you use a decent block of wood, but your better off using the crank pulley.

2: Remove your air BS and have the bungs sealed with plugs, or welded shut. It doesnt do a thing for you anyway.
Old 06-02-2004, 10:41 PM

Thanks for the info to jack up the motor. I just wanted to make sure I could jack from the oil pan.

Sorry if my explanation of the air fitting was a little confusing.
I'll check out a fastener store and see if there are any available.

Just need to find a place to fab up a Y-pipe.

Anyone around the Toronto area know of a good shop?
Old 06-03-2004, 11:30 PM

Talking

Got the passenger header in and bolted up to the block. The bolts on the passenger header front and rear are really tough to get at.

Jacked up the motor about 6 inches if that. The header just slid in.
Removed the three bolts at the block. Couldn't remove the single bolt though the mount because of a hardline in the way. A/C or power steering.

Didn't have to remove the oil filter or valve covers. Removed the starter, made it so much easier.

Found a fitting at a harware store and it works perfect for the air fittings.

I'm just having difficulty getting me disptick back in.

Overall I'm really pleased except the limited plug access. It's really tight.
Old 06-03-2004, 11:33 PM

Got the passenger header in and bolted up to the block. The bolts on the passenger header front and rear are really tough to get at.

Jacked up the motor about 6 inches if that. The header just slid in.
Removed the three bolts at the block. Couldn't remove the single bolt though the mount because of a hardline in the way. A/C or power steering.

Didn't have to remove the oil filter or valve covers. Removed the starter, made it so much easier.

Found a fitting at a harware store and it works perfect for the air fittings.

I'm just having difficulty getting me disptick back in.

Overall I'm really pleased except the limited plug access. It's really tight.
Dipstick is the hardest part. Took us a couple hours to get the damn thing back in. Sand it down real good, seems to help some
Old 06-03-2004, 11:43 PM

Mine was a b***h to put in. I couldn't put it in by about 1-2 cm, and was not able to line it up where the bolt goes in. It was pretty tight in there, so I just left it like that. Just keep in mind how much it's off by when you check the dipstick.
Old 06-06-2004, 04:01 PM

Got the dipstick in! The flange was jamming on a lip on the block. Cleared the lip and it just slid in with a little finess.

Checked all my wires, plugs and clearances.
Started the car up so the car would get a couple of heat cycles. Retightened header bolts after 4 heat cycles and running good. All I can say is open headers is really loud. Have my 02's connected but not installed in the bungs. Heard of problems that the coating ruins them.

My steering knuckle cover melted to the #1 primary. I ripped it out and have the knuckle bare for now. Does anyone else have this problem? I might try and see if a small CV boot will work.
Old 06-06-2004, 05:40 PM

Got the dipstick in! The flange was jamming on a lip on the block. Cleared the lip and it just slid in with a little finess.

Checked all my wires, plugs and clearances.
Started the car up so the car would get a couple of heat cycles. Retightened header bolts after 4 heat cycles and running good. All I can say is open headers is really loud. Have my 02's connected but not installed in the bungs. Heard of problems that the coating ruins them.

My steering knuckle cover melted to the #1 primary. I ripped it out and have the knuckle bare for now. Does anyone else have this problem? I might try and see if a small CV boot will work.
Leave the cover off. Dont put a boot on it.
Old 06-06-2004, 06:00 PM

I think that I'm the only person I know of that didn't need to jack up the motor at all...the only things I needed to remove were the steering linkage and the oil filter for the driver side. The passenger side slid in with no problems.
Old 06-06-2004, 06:48 PM

Originally posted by RamAir95TA
I think that I'm the only person I know of that didn't need to jack up the motor at all...the only things I needed to remove were the steering linkage and the oil filter for the driver side. The passenger side slid in with no problems.
Showoff

How you did that I have NO idea.......I even had to keep the motor jacked up for putting in RK Sports. The Hooker's were not gonna go in any way, shape for form.