LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Jerky Throttle

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 04:29 PM

Jerky Throttle

Could use some help. My 94 6 speed has 135k miles on it. Just replaced the 2nd Opti last year.

The throttle action i pretty jerky, doesn't seem to misfire. Could it be the butterfly? Throttle spring? Anything else?

any hints to fix it, greatly appreciated.
Old 06-16-2007, 04:45 PM

clean it...if it's fixed you're good, if not you need to replace the bearings or check the cable assy.

i'd suggest a ported stock rebuilt unit. bought mine off ebay for 150 plus 10 to ship...and could have gotten it powder coated for 30 more. buy a gasket kit and it shouldnt take more than about 15 minutes to replace
Old 06-16-2007, 11:46 PM

Your saying I should inspect & clean out the butterfly? It's a common problem ?
Old 06-17-2007, 12:14 PM

An air leak in the intake tubing leading to the TB will cause the car to buck due to unmetered air (air bypassing the MAF). Check for leaks.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:16 PM
Administrator

Might want to clarify what is "jerky". Are you saying that the throttle pedal is physically jerky when you try and operate the throttle? Or are you saying the engine RESPONSE is jerky when you try and accelerate?
Old 06-17-2007, 03:01 PM

accelaration of the car jerks when I apply the throttle.

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Might want to clarify what is "jerky". Are you saying that the throttle pedal is physically jerky when you try and operate the throttle? Or are you saying the engine RESPONSE is jerky when you try and accelerate?
Old 06-17-2007, 05:50 PM

oh, in that case, when was the last time you replaced wires/plugs?
also include when you replaced PCV.

you should check the maf and make sure it's clean...check the boot ends for tears and replace if necessary. check all vacuum lines and fittings for cracks and leaks...again replace as necessary.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:41 PM

wires, plugs, opti, vr, dist cap...yes...

PCV, maf & butterfly...no.

Originally Posted by Severous01
oh, in that case, when was the last time you replaced wires/plugs?
also include when you replaced PCV.

you should check the maf and make sure it's clean...check the boot ends for tears and replace if necessary. check all vacuum lines and fittings for cracks and leaks...again replace as necessary.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:58 PM

any consensus as to what is wrong before I take things apart? I will admt to not being the most mechanically inclined. In fact any easy to check stuff would be great. It will also jerk when I decel too- bit it's rare.

Seems to do better after it warms up.

thanks
Old 06-18-2007, 06:05 PM

pcv is right on top of the pass valve cover...buy one and replace it wether you think it needs it or not...

and you can clean the tb by removing the elbow and holding open the throttle while spraying a SENSOR SAFE carb cleaner into the throttle body...or, spraying it on a rag and wiping it down. of course you arent getting the whole thing, but it's better than 1/8" of gunk on the blades and holes.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:13 PM

thanks, That's exactly the help I needed!

I'll give it a shot and let you know.

I appreciate the advice!

pcv is right on top of the pass valve cover...buy one and replace it wether you think it needs it or not...

and you can clean the tb by removing the elbow and holding open the throttle while spraying a SENSOR SAFE carb cleaner into the throttle body...or, spraying it on a rag and wiping it down. of course you arent getting the whole thing, but it's better than 1/8" of gunk on the blades and holes.
Old 06-23-2007, 12:59 PM

son of a gun.

you all were right on target. I replaced the PCV (in the driver side intake plenum), cleaned the butterfly with cleaner, and cleaned the K & N filter.

I found all kinds of air leaks. The Hennesy air tube was crushed & cracked on the clamp to the elbow, that rediculus plastic after market airfoil was loose, even the elblow was rotted. I basically resealed everything. I used duct tape on air tube end. I might have to get a new elbow soon, dunno.

Anyway, the car died & wouldn't run after I sprayed the cleaner up the plenum. I put it all back together when the filter was dried & oiled.

I'll be a son of a gun. It actually runs pretty good, no bucks or hick-ups. It doesn't pull like new but seems as stout as new 5.0 with some mods on it I drove 10 years ago.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:11 PM

still running good.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:36 PM
Administrator

PCV valve is on the driver's side of the intake manifold, not on the valve cover. The piece on the valve cover is a plain plastic elbow.

Do not use "carb" cleaner on a throttle body..... it is too harsh and can remove the carbon shedding coating on the TB blades. Use "throttle body" cleaner.