LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Intake Gaskets, again...

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 07:55 AM

Intake Gaskets, again...

I am looking for an intake gasket set that does NOT rely on just a bead of silicone on the front and back gasket surfaces. I am pretty sure that I have a leaking intake manifold gasket, the gaskets were newly installed back in March.

The car is running rough and is smoking from the back of the engine.... I read the other topic on here about the leak on the back of the motor, but his symptoms of leaking from the oil pressure sender do not match mine.

BTW, car is a 95 Z28.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:02 AM

The RTV in front and back IS the best way. Gaskets squish out. That's the way they used to seal them and that is why they changed to the RTV. As with anything, if the work was not done correctly, it may end up leaking again.
Old 06-03-2008, 05:13 PM
Administrator

Some people have "dimpled" the surfaces of the manifold and block to increase the "grip". Do not use "silicone".... its possible for air leaking past them to pull vapor into the intake via the PCV valve, and silicone contaminates the O2 sensors. Use the correct, sensor-safe sealant.

Slide the intake on with dowels in two of the bolt holes to make sure it seats "squarely". Be sure to torque the intake in two steps. Be sure to let it cure for 24-hours before you start the engine. Be sure to check the intake bolt torque a week or two after the install.
Old 06-03-2008, 05:17 PM

RTV is the best way. It must be applied properly. Clean surfaces,nice bead and ithe mani put on straight down. Then allowed to cure. The area by the oil sender is the thinnest area to seal. I messed it up once and I am sure many others have...
Old 06-03-2008, 05:22 PM

This is really a 2 person job too I think 1 person could do it but given how important it is to get a good seal without wrecking the RTV bead.... Its much easier to lay it down with 2 people.

As injuneer said, use some dowel to line it up (We used chopsticks broken in half on the furthest and opposite nearest bolt hole, pencils work too ).

Let the bead of RTV sit for a little while to skin over so its not all runny. Then place the intake on it, then let it cure for a day. Be sure not to use OLD RTV!!! Get a new bottle if your unsure of how old your RTV is, if its a couple of years old it may never set. (I had to do the job twice )
Old 06-03-2008, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by OutsiderIROC-Z
The car is running rough and is smoking from the back of the engine.... I read the other topic on here about the leak on the back of the motor, but his symptoms of leaking from the oil pressure sender do not match mine.

Just read this part of your post - what color is the smoke? It sounds like you may have a blown headgasket...