LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

IAC tested elctrically good, can it still be bad?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 12:34 AM

IAC tested elctrically good, can it still be bad?

Okay, to make a long story short. No vacuum leaks, no DTC's, heated O2's with long tubes. Engine ran sweet about three weeks ago. Came back from TAD, now it wont idle below 1400 rpm. Turn AC on it goes down. O2's are working fine using my scan tool.
I sprayed bubbly water over all hoses etc and nothing changed. No exhaust leaks. Cleaned the living heck out of the throttle body and IAC housing.
IAC is very clean, and I didnt clean it as it is a couple years old.
I checked the pins for resistance and the IAC is within specs. I also connected it and put it in a bag and turned the key on, NOTHINg, it didnt move at all. So, being a 93, I pulled the spring down and turned the IAC out and in for several test to see if it would move. Nothing.
I then put it back in the throttle body at 1", 1 1/8", and 1 3/16 " without the connector and the idle changed, got higher as I went shorter and at 1 3/16 it was at 1100. (My engine chip is set for 850, and I also tried three different older tunes that worked prior to all this and the idle never changed).
So, I reconnected IAC connector, started it up and no change, turned ac on and it brought it down 200rpm.
Took it out and it didnt change length.
Should it change length when it was out and connected and I turn the key on? Should it have changed length within the engine when running and ac turned on?
Can an IAC be bad, yet show its resistance reading being good?
Old 05-01-2010, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by RACEON
Can an IAC be bad, yet show its resistance reading being good?
Your assuming it could only have an electrical problem. Maybe it has a mechanical problem.

What were the IAC counts doing while you had the scanner connected?
Old 05-01-2010, 08:22 AM
Administrator

Everything I've ever read indicates that moving the pintle on a used IAC valve is likely to damage it. Its possible the stepper motor is no longer connected to the pintle.

Have you verified that the throttle blades are closing fully? You indicate the poblem started when you "Came back from TAD". What is TAD?
Old 05-01-2010, 12:56 PM

The IAC counts were Zero, so it was trying to lower the idle.
When I took the throttle body off to clean it I set the throttle body with a quarter turn past touching, to start. Its an AS&M 58mm. I tightened the everything down, cleaned the IAC housing too.
The pintle turns in if you pull the spring down. It just doesnt move back and forth when the key is turned on and off, even after moving it back and forth as it screws in real nice. I tried the key on/off prior to any of my actual movements of it too.
I did the IAC rest several times and the diagnostic mode of resetting it too.
TAD (temporary assigned duty) is when you go away from your military base for a specific amount of time.
Old 05-01-2010, 05:02 PM
Administrator

If you've damaged the pintle, the electical test may be fine. But it seems obvious that the pintle isn't moving.
Old 05-01-2010, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
If you've damaged the pintle, the electical test may be fine. But it seems obvious that the pintle isn't moving.
Thanks, I am just nukeing it out.