LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

How hard is it to change the camshaft?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2003, 08:30 PM

I really dont agree, I think anyone who does the research and takes their time and follows a manual, then they would do fine. I am in the middle of mine, (waiting for ported heads to arrive) and it really isn't hard at all. Just keep everything labeled and in zip lock bags, take pictures and invest in a good torque wrench and manual. I just used street illusions guide taking it apart now I am going to use a manual putting it back together because none of the internet guides will go in depth enough to tell you stuff such as torque specs. Just to give you an example, I have Chiltons, Haynes and the General Motors manual (The two big books).

Originally posted by Chris 96 WS6
A cam change is harder than headers and there's more you can screw up with a cam change if you don't know what you're doing.

Cam change is one of those things that if you have to ask you probably shouldn't attempt it yourself. Best to help somebody who is doing it or have them help you or pay somebody to do it.

Its easy for someone who has done one or two but for somebody who only has experience with bolt on's it can be a huge job. If all you've ever done is install a CAI you are probably way over your head to attempt a cam change (just an example).
Old 02-04-2003, 08:41 PM

If I just have the Chiltons manual would that be enough along with getting help from the internet?
Old 02-04-2003, 09:08 PM

Yes, and so far is been 10 times easier than people have told me it would be. It's time consuming but far from "hard" The only tricks are not ripping the oil pan gasket when taking off the timing chain cover and not ripping the waterpump seal on the timing cover. The hub is also a little tricky...

http://www.afrashteh.com/guide/install.htm

This site gives you plenty of information including torque specs.

Originally posted by Cerwin Vega Fan
If I just have the Chiltons manual would that be enough along with getting help from the internet?
Old 02-05-2003, 08:05 AM

Thanks for the help guys, I'm thinking about doing a camshaft some where down the road. I just have to pick a weekend when I have a lot of free time.
Old 02-05-2003, 09:14 AM

Originally posted by Chris 96 WS6
A cam change is harder than headers and there's more you can screw up with a cam change if you don't know what you're doing.
I would have to agree there, headers are a much simpler job than a cam swap. There really isn't any major damage you can do in a header installation, it's pretty straightforward. Swapping cams there is a lot more that can go wrong; nicking a cam bearing, tearing the oil pan gasket or one of the timing cover seals, dropping a valve swapping the springs etc... I'm not saying a cam swap is extremely difficult or trying to stop anyone from doing it themselves, there is just much more involved in the job than doing headers.