LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

How hard is it to change the camshaft?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2003, 03:39 PM

Question How hard is it to change the camshaft?

Is it something I can do myself or would this be something only a mechanic could do?
Old 02-03-2003, 03:49 PM

It really depends on your mechanical ablity.
I personally don't think that it is very hard but some others may.

Read over this and you'll get the basic Idea and process.

http://64.90.9.168/cranecams/pdf/214e.pdf
Old 02-03-2003, 04:05 PM

Here's a nice writeup for you:

http://www.streetillusionsracing.com...ll/Cam/cam.htm

I still haven't decided whether or not I'm going to do it myself.
Old 02-03-2003, 04:13 PM

im in the process of doing it myself heads and cam. the "biggest" job i had done to my car prior this was my headers. the work im doing myself, but all the little tips, tricks, methods, etc. i get off the guys on this site lot of good people. without everyone on here i wouldnt even dare do it, nor would i have the slightest clue of how to do it. id be more than glad to help as much as i could as well . its not THAT hard, but the little things screw you up sometimes you know. lots of people on here have helped me with this, and HERES A BIIIIIIIIIGGGGG THANK YOU to all of you you know who you are we'll see how it goes when she finally starts up. good luck
Old 02-03-2003, 04:26 PM

Originally posted by slashz28
im in the process of doing it myself heads and cam. the "biggest" job i had done to my car prior this was my headers. the work im doing myself, but all the little tips, tricks, methods, etc. i get off the guys on this site lot of good people. without everyone on here i wouldnt even dare do it, nor would i have the slightest clue of how to do it. id be more than glad to help as much as i could as well . its not THAT hard, but the little things screw you up sometimes you know. lots of people on here have helped me with this, and HERES A BIIIIIIIIIGGGGG THANK YOU to all of you you know who you are we'll see how it goes when she finally starts up. good luck
In your opinion what is harder? Changing the camshaft or installing headers?
Old 02-03-2003, 04:29 PM

cam, but not by a lot. the worst thing for me was removing/installing the crank hub/sprocket im an idiot. when you do it right it takes 2 minutes, when you do it my way it takes 5 hours i got macs, which are pretty easy to put in. cant say about other headers though, although i doubt its much harder.
Old 02-03-2003, 04:30 PM

Here is another great guide for LT1's.

I will soon be doing this job also...most parts are already here.

http://www.afrashteh.com/guide/install.htm
Old 02-03-2003, 04:31 PM

A cam change is harder than headers and there's more you can screw up with a cam change if you don't know what you're doing.

Cam change is one of those things that if you have to ask you probably shouldn't attempt it yourself. Best to help somebody who is doing it or have them help you or pay somebody to do it.

Its easy for someone who has done one or two but for somebody who only has experience with bolt on's it can be a huge job. If all you've ever done is install a CAI you are probably way over your head to attempt a cam change (just an example).
Old 02-03-2003, 04:47 PM

Lightbulb

It is hard. Especially for a guy attempting for the first time. I dunno now that if & when I do it again I can do it in a weekend at a relaxed pace. Infact I kinda want to do it again. I just might when I do my heads. Like said before if you have any mechanical ability then give it a shot. Just make sure you take your time & get a manual. Also this board definately made it much easier.... Thanks to everyone. You guys are life savors!!!

By the way. The worst part of this job for me was the damn crank hub!!! It took a lot of Motherflocking!!!!!!
Old 02-03-2003, 05:19 PM

Hmm for what I'm hearing this may not be the best major mod for me to start by doing on my own. How about headers? Since it seems they are a little bit easier could I do that by myself?
Old 02-03-2003, 05:34 PM
Banned

What would be a resonable price for a capable mechanic to do the job?
Old 02-03-2003, 05:54 PM

ive been quoted 1000$ CDN for the cam (cheapest price) up to 1600$ CDN. heads+cam was 1200 or 1300 and the other place like 2200 or so. quite pricey for me. thats the main reason im doing it myself. now if something goes wrong , i have no one to blame but me. ive seen people on here get quoted about 1000$US for the install. pricey but you got no head aches.
Old 02-03-2003, 06:00 PM

If you know a little about engines, the operation, TDC, how to treat precision machined parts, and how to use tools, you can do it. If you've never worked on the inside of an engine before, get someone who knows what they're doing to help you. Taking things apart is pretty easy. Putting them back together correctly takes a little more knowledge.
Old 02-03-2003, 06:03 PM

i might be putting one in my car down the road as well.

it would really be helpful if you could either watch somone, or actually do it on an older car just to get the overall idea of what your doing. ive done a few cams on older carb'd cars where there is PLENTY of room and not so much late model EFI/pollution/computorized crap.

i definatly wont be paying anyone to install mine. im sure ill definatly have some friends over to help, but i feel confident that ill be able to get the job done. ive just got a bit more to learn and get used to with these later model cars.

good luck and BE PATIENT!!!

jon
Old 02-04-2003, 07:31 PM

Well, when my dad was younger he did a lot of work on his firend's 68 Camaro so if I want to install headers or a camshaft I will just ask him for help.

Quick Reply: How hard is it to change the camshaft?