LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

How fun an engine is an LT1?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 01:41 AM

[QUOTE=StLounatic;4568504]Theres alot of BS in this thread. Look around and dont settle for the first car you find. Stock for stock both being 6-speed cars, the lt1's are alot more fun to drive. They arnt faster, but they have alot more grunt down low.

Also if you find a strong LT-1. Add a CAI, and a set of headers and you be kicking ls1 ***. If nothing else get a tune to top it off. Some will say otherwise, but a strong stock lt1 hangs alot better then most think. Its the crap running LT-1s that give the whole group a bad name.

QUOTE]

My LT1 has headers,cai and gears and One of my best friends has a bone stock 2001 WS6 and he WAXES me on the interstate. I outdrive him as well.

There is not alot of BS in this thread either. One thing I can agree with you on is for him not to settle on his first car. Drive a few..take them out for a short cruise and get a feel for them. Youll know what you prefer and more and likely youll love either car. Even after having a 11 second NA ls1 I still aprreciate and love my LT1.

Last edited by robb4964; 12-05-2007 at 02:32 AM.
Old 12-05-2007, 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by StLounatic

I say save the money and go with the LT-1, they last longer and are cheaper to buy parts for. Not to mention they look alot better, and SOUND alot better.

Wow...I dont want to start a war with you but here goes. This is an ignorant statement. Until you own an LS1 yourself and drive it every day, Mod it and run some miles up on it then you can make this claim.

My LS1 had 165k+ cammed and getting beat every single day I drove the car and it did not leak a drop of oil and ran puuuurfect. Never put a dime in that car as far as it breaking down. Everything I did was upgrades. It was punished and never let me down.
I am not saying at all that LT1's wont last a long time Im just saying LS1s do to.

And as far as parts costing more...really? Since when? LT1 heads and cam packages are just as expensive and if you factor in labor costs more.
Old 12-05-2007, 03:59 AM

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Thread revival! I love it especially since I didn't read some of this garbage.
I say save the money and go with the LT-1, they last longer...

Proof?

There are H/C LT1's making over 500rwhp. But yeah keep spreading your BS.
Such a gerneralized broad statement I'm not sure I can even begin to ask enough questions for clarity.

i said a bolt on + a cam lt1 will beat a bolt on ls1.
Add a CAI, and a set of headers and you be kicking ls1 ***.
Inconsistency is a mother****er...

P.S. You're still a n0ob at providing any logic or reason to solidify your statements. Hopefully since this topic was fresh you have come to the conclusion you made not one bit of sense.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by wrd1972
Just great, this has turned into LT1 vs. Ls1. Who would'a thunk it.

Here is an honest answer to the question posted. The Lt1 engine is every bit as fun as any high performnce V8 including the LS1. You will have the wide power band and get up and go to boot. The engine pulls at all RPM's above 1.5K.

To sum it up:
1 cylinder=not fun but useful for cutting grass
4 cylinder=not fun unless on two wheels but funny as hell when equipped with "Fart-cans".
6 cylinder=not fun unless equipped with t-type badges on black painted fenders
8 cylinder=a barrel full of fun in any f-body especially the 4th gen.
10 cylinder=Holy S*** and lots of $$$$
12 cylinder=
You will be happy either way with a LT1 or a LS1, the determining factor should always bee how much you want to spend initially and in the future.
i had a v6 that was fun and showed a few 5.0 mustang owners my rear bumper

.. but then again... it looked like this

i didnt have the fancy LED's in the "thunderbird" letters though

Old 12-12-2007, 08:54 AM

get the LS1 if you can afford it. I like my LT1, although its down and out right now, but I'll rebuilt it, but if I were to get another camaro today, i'd just go with an LS1.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:58 PM

I have an LT1 and with the mods that I have done I pulled off 403 crank torque and 380 crank hp. I'm thinking that the guy I bought my car off of though had done work to this car and didn't tell me (fearing i wouldn't buy a pre-modified car) but when I bought it, it looked completely stock, until I started modding it. Then I found that the rear bump stops were already cut, along with a computer that was already tuned for modifications like a wide open exhuast and a low temp thermostat. I walk all over LS1's with my LT1 I guess is the moral of the story here haha.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:23 PM

ive got a ls1 and a lt1 car. both are awesome to drive but the lt1 sounds so much better when at idle and wot.
Old 12-12-2007, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
It's possible to have a lot of fun with an LT1.....

This qualifies for "LT1 fun overdose" dont ya' think?
Old 12-12-2007, 03:34 PM

LT1 Bolt-on record is 11.8 @ 113. LS1 bolt-on record is 10.8 @ 122

Nuff said
Old 12-12-2007, 03:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SS RRR
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Thread revival! I love it especially since I didn't read some of this garbage.

Proof?

Such a gerneralized broad statement I'm not sure I can even begin to ask enough questions for clarity.

Inconsistency is a mother****er...

P.S. You're still a n0ob at providing any logic or reason to solidify your statements. Hopefully since this topic was fresh you have come to the conclusion you made not one bit of sense.

Ok tard.. I said a cam+bolt-on lt1 will beat a bolt-on ls1, I also said a bolt on lt1 will beat a stock ls1.. I dont see how there is any inconsistency there, but you dont seem to read very well so what ever.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:25 PM

LT1 LS1 blah, blah, blah. Its just one pissing contest after another.

Last edited by wrd1972; 12-12-2007 at 05:29 PM.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:25 PM

TRUE!

This thread is mostly pointless. Here's why:
Most people on here dont keep their cars stock. With that being said, it mostly depends on how far you want to go with your car as to what is faster than what. Who cares what car is faster stock when it's not stock?

With either platform, you will have your limitations until you reach a point where customization is necessary to make more power. In other words, bolt on engine parts only take you so far before you have to start getting really crafty. With the LT1, you can easily convert most regular SBC heads... this opens a larger world of heads to you, even 18 degree heads, large 23 degree heads and even SB2.2's. Most LSx heads cant touch well prepped sb2.2's...though some come pretty close.

The LT1 will usually be a more aggressive motor when on par with the LS1 powerwise. Might be more helpful to say, if you want a mix of modern engine technology with a bit of the musclecar roughness, go LT1. If you want something more modern and new, with more modest street manners and mileage, go LS1. I like em both

And my LT1 makes my LS1 based C5 look slow. And no it didnt cost a fortune. You just need to know how to spend the money and how to build em Some people 'overmod', and some people buy things they really dont need out of a catalog because they think they gotta have it. Last time I was on leave I tore the right rear wheel off So now its getting a single plane

Pick your poison. Either will be fun, and both cost money to build. All depends on what you want out of a car.

Also, benchracing doesnt mean so much, because a good bit of the cars you run across are driven by people who dont know how to get that last little bit of ET of them or whatever... in other words, you can have a 1000RWHP camaro and you get beaten by a stock LS1, because the camaro is driven by grandma...so who cares as long as you are happy with the car? This is why I dont street race, I couldnt care less about competing with a stranger adn beating on something I built to do it.

Nice thing about the LT1 cars is that they are fairly cheap... so you can get bits and pieces from newer cars to update yours if they dont offer a factory LT1 to your liking. Mine has an SS hood, C5 front brakes, '98+ SS spoiler, ebony 2000+ interior, and a '93 M28 T56...a ZZ383 crate motor rotating assembly (upgraded and balanced), and other mods that werent available for that year. Basically the only thing '94 about it is the body. Cost me less to have a car I wanted by buying one that didnt have bells and whistles that I was going to end up replacing anyway.

Last edited by dhirocz; 12-14-2007 at 10:42 PM.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:58 AM

Lt1 > *
Old 12-15-2007, 08:11 AM

Im not sure but i think justin already bought his car. after all its been over a year since he started the thread.
Old 12-15-2007, 04:30 PM

Ok tard.. I said a cam+bolt-on lt1 will beat a bolt-on ls1, I also said a bolt on lt1 will beat a stock ls1.. I dont see how there is any inconsistency there, but you dont seem to read very well so what ever.
Nice try there n0ob, but you only tried to clear yourself only after you were questioned. Your original statement is:
Add a CAI, and a set of headers and you be kicking ls1 ***.
No answers for the rest of my questions? Not surprised in the least...

Be happy there are still arguments to be had. Not long from now we'll be arguing which electric motors put out more torque.

Last edited by SS RRR; 12-15-2007 at 04:36 PM.

Quick Reply: How fun an engine is an LT1?