LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

How Do I Know I'm Getting Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2003, 01:51 PM

How Do I Know I'm Getting Fuel

I 'm pretty sure that my Opti carapped out, so I ordered another one from Jason, so it should be here by the end of the week. However, I'm wanting to make sure that the engine is actually getting fuel. I've tried listening for the fuel pupmp to prime when I turn turn the key to the on position, but I don't hear anything. I'm thinking this might be because the system is already pressurized from trying to start it so many times.
A person in the service department said there is a schrader (sp?) valve on the side of one of the fuel rails, and I could just push the pin over, and fuel would squirt out (like letting air out of a tire) if the fuel pump was working.
I can only afford to do one repair, so I need to make sure it's my Opti before I replace it, otherwise I'm screwed.
Thanks for the help!
Old 07-28-2003, 01:55 PM
Administrator

You should hear the fuel pump start up every time you turn on the key. It will run for 2 seconds, and then if the engine is not running, it shuts down. The PCM will also shut the fuel pump and the injectors down if the PCM can not find the low resolution pulse pattern from the Opti.

To test your fuel pump, there is a "fuel pump test" connector near the PCM. Connect +12V to that, and you should hear the pump run. If not, either the relay, the pump, the fuse or the wiring are faulty. Rob/Shoebox has all the info on his "tech" pages.

If you have fuel pressure, depressing the core on the Schrader test connection valve should allow fuel to squirt from the valve.
Old 07-28-2003, 02:02 PM

D@mn, I love this place, thanks!
Ahh, so the Opti can basically tell the fuel pump to start working. The service guy said that the PCM may have shut down the pump if something else was wrong. I will look up that test, and try it when I get home.
Any idea where that schrader valve is. I just can't seem to get my eyeballs to find it.
Old 07-28-2003, 02:08 PM

Its at the rear of the intake manifold. Stand nest to the passenger side fender and reach behind the intake with your left hand. It behind the passenger side fuel rail and is covered with a black plastic cap.
Old 07-28-2003, 02:11 PM

Thanks, I'll give it a look.
Anything esle I should know about my stuation, or anytroublshooting I could do to verify it's the Opti? I already tried changing the coil.
Old 07-28-2003, 02:27 PM

I didn't see an actual list of your symptoms?

Spark goes from ignition (on the coil bracket), to the coil, to the opti, to the plugs. So you should be able to pull the coil wire and jump it to the block - if you see spark then the coil's working. Pull a spark plug wire and jump it to the block - if you see spark then the opti's working.

Fuel - test at the schrader, looking for pressure.

So assuming your problem is that the car won't start, those tests should help narrow it down.

Dave
Old 07-28-2003, 02:46 PM

I guess that would help. Here's a link to a previous post regarding this:

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...hreadid=149651

So, you're saying that I can just disconnect a wire (be it Opti, or coil wire), and just touch it directly to the block?

I guess these testes would have helped before I bought the coil. Oh well, at least I'll have an extra coil lying aroung.
Old 07-28-2003, 03:01 PM

Originally posted by snorkelface
I guess that would help. Here's a link to a previous post regarding this:

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...hreadid=149651

So, you're saying that I can just disconnect a wire (be it Opti, or coil wire), and just touch it directly to the block?
Ah, if the car is starting a bit, then the problem's a bit harder. I was thinking it just flat wouldn't fire. But anyway, yes you can disconnect those wires, and hold them maybe 1/4" from the block, while somone turns the ignition (just for a moment). You should see sparks jumping from the wire to the block (ground) which tells you it's working.

Of course in your case, it sounds like you may have a flaky coil, or flaky opti, that works sometimes, and not other times. Makes the test a bit less useful.

I guess these testes would have helped before I bought the coil.
Um, okay, yes. No comment...

Dave
Old 07-28-2003, 04:03 PM

Since the car tries to start, but doesn't start, that's why I think it's the Opti after the coil was changed. I figure if if it was anything like plugs or wires, it would at least start, but just run horribly. Now, since the Opti is on order, I just want to make sure it isn't anything with the fuel delivery before tearing into the car to change the Opti (especially since I can't return it once it's installed).
Since the car does "kind of" start, could it still be the Opti. It's hard to explain, but it never really fully starts and runs. I don't even know if it gets going while I'm cranking it. After trying to turn it over, I'll let off the key, and then I'll notice that the engine is tring to do something, but it just stunbles around a bit, and dies after 3-5 seconds. It will also only do this sometimes, others, it just does nothing. I need to get a video up of it, but I don't think that's possible.