LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

this car is driving me crazy

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 08:19 PM

this car is driving me crazy

i have been dealing with what has now turned into a no start. i pulled the fuel filter off of the car, turned the key on, very little fuel. i put the fuel filter back on the line..... no fuel at all. you could hear the pump running but no gas at all. so i decided that the pump was really week and i replaced it. not fun i have done gas tanks to a couple of third gens we have had in the family (my stepfathers 1984 and my old 1989). i was hoping the the 4th gens were somehow easier, i have discovered that they are exactly the same.

the gas tank is done and i now have fuel at the fuel rail. i started the car and it started instantly, i started and shut it down and restarted it several times. i let the car run for 30 seconds and shut it off as i did not yet want the car hot. the car actualyl sounded allot better. i always test run my projects before i fully put them back together. i re-assembled everything, i then tried to start the car, no start..... now im getting annoyed.

i am getting fuel at the fuel rail, the car was running now it does not want to start. do these cars ever flood, when i was running the car the first few times i had the MAF off, did i somehow flood it?

so i now have fuel, before i did not. the car has ran but now it wont. what do i need to do to get this car running again.

is it possible i have a weak coil?
Old 04-12-2015, 09:27 PM

Re: this car is driving me crazy

Jeez, you need to stop making new threads every time you post. People need to be able to follow what you did before. No new reader knows what suggestions were previously made or followed up on and people that did look at your other threads are not going to want to go try to find them and re-familiarize themselves.
Old 04-13-2015, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by shoebox
Jeez, you need to stop making new threads every time you post. People need to be able to follow what you did before. No new reader knows what suggestions were previously made or followed up on and people that did look at your other threads are not going to want to go try to find them and re-familiarize themselves.
im sorry will do from now on. one thing i noticed that i thought was odd when i tested the system i was getting 1-4 volts AC on the ignition module signal wire but only .1-.4 volts A/C on the coil side signal wire, it was getting a signal but i tend to think it should be higher. could i have done something to the car running those tests, because before i ran those tests the car was starting regularly it was just running terrible. now it starts when it wants to.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:04 PM

i bought a spark tester..... i have NO spark at all. i took the opti was in the car when i bought it, hooked it up to the car's wirring harness and the coil. the car did run with the opti that came on it, just not well. i ran it off of a drill, it should have generated a spark, it did not. i could hear the injectors firring but no spark. i could hear the injectors firring but no spark. i think the coil was also weak. this car has ALLOT of miles on the body, i was told the engine and trans was rebuilt but many of the parts bolted to the engine might be original. i have a reciept for the transmission, it was rebuilt at amco in 2007. when you look at the receipt the car has only been driven 20K since 2007. by the time im done replacing all of the small stuff this car should run very well, lol. im now going to replace the coil , its a $25 part.

only question is could a faulty coil produce a 1371 coil? it certainly could cause a mis-fire, sputtering, and running poorly followed by no spark at all.

here is the testing procedure i used

Old 04-14-2015, 05:31 PM

im still stumped. i replaced the coil today, it was only $25 and im sure having a new coil did not hurt anything. still no spark on either opti, what gives? could my PCM be bad, how do i test that?
Old 04-15-2015, 05:44 AM

tested for continuity the white wire that goes from the PCM to the coil, ICM ground, ICM positive voltage, low and high signal wires from opti to PCM wires for continuity. so what gives, i have the necessary voltage and no broken wires.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:22 AM

You check all of your fuses??

The fuse in your engine compartment "black box" made poor contact and basically did the same thing your experiencing

Also double check your fuel pump relay
Old 04-15-2015, 08:46 PM

fuses are all GOOD
the fuel pump works fine now, but after replacement. before i replaced the pump you could hear it run but it was faint; barely any gas was coming out of the fuel line. im quite certain fuel is no longer a problem, especially since i have no spark
Old 04-16-2015, 05:38 PM

i am not any closer. i bought a PCM today that came out of a good running LT1 caprice. still no results. im getting 1371 code, i have tested a 4 wires leading from the PCM to the opti, all 4 wires have continity between the PCM and the opti-spark. all 4 wires have proper voltages and grounds. i picked up yet another opti from autozone (which i will return under warranty), out of 3 opti's not one of them will provide the car with the low resolution signal.

use code reader a code reader, clear code out. turn car back on, without cranking read codes again..... car generates a 1371 code WITHOUT cranking.

i have 3 different opti units none of them are doing what i need to do. is this possible? are all 3 bad? i have my doubts. i dont think it would be possible to have 3 bad opti's. this car was actually running on one of the opti's and one is brand new out of the box.