LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Help w/ New Motor's First Start

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 12:42 PM

Help w/ New Motor's First Start

It's been over a year since I first started the motor swap but now I'm close to being done. Basically I swapped the motor I had in my sig for a freshly built one with lower compression. In the process, the simple short block swap became a full long block swap with new heads/intake....etc.

This is my first time ever attempting anything this advanced so here are a few questions that I hope you experts can help me with...

Will the motor start and idle without having the following connect (intake, MAF, IAT, e-waterpump, coolant lines, and some vacumm hoses from the intake mani)?

As the car sits now, the motor is back in the car. I believe all the electrical sensors are plugged back in with the exception of the items listed above. When I turn the key, I hear the fuel pumps priming, and the starter turns the crank. I also have oil pressure, read from autometer gauge using aux port above the filter. After holding it for a few seconds it starts to fire...but only one at a time with a short pause between each. Then as I keep trying I would get a bunch in a row, like a rough start but not enough to get into it's idle. When cranking it and pressing down on the gas pedal it will sustain the firing even longer, but still not good enough. As soon as I let go of the key it stops.

I'm not sure what else to do at this point. It seems like my ignition system is ok, since it's firing up. It's just not getting into an idling state (not even one where I need to continuously give it gas to maintain).

Should I just finish hooking everything else up and put the other fluids back in the car and try again? (it only has gas and oil right now)

Or should the car sorta run poorly as it is now...and I should get it to run before connecting everything else?

I didn't want to put everything back on and find out that I have to drain everything out again to get to the problem.

Sorry for the long post...but I've been toying with this thing for a few months and havn't been able to find a definite answer to my questions.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:54 PM

Mine always stalls when you disconnect the MAf so bolt that on and retry.

It won't run right without the rest of the connections..the computer uses them to set the idle...

I wouldn't run it at all without coolant. I'd recommend you finish the install and try again so you can see what is truly going on....
Old 08-29-2009, 03:20 PM

Hook everything up.
Old 08-29-2009, 04:11 PM

I'm also working on a custom FMIC setup for this install. Would you also recommend finishing the piping as well?
Old 08-29-2009, 05:21 PM

Honestly, why wouldn't you finish it entirely first?
Old 08-29-2009, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Honestly, why wouldn't you finish it entirely first?
Because I wanted to see if I could catch any mistakes with assembly or wiring for certain systems before I button the entire thing up. I didn't want to go through everything and then find that something like the opti was installed wrong or messed up.

However what you guys have said has made me comfortable enough to continue and finish up the build before starting it again.

THanks!