LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

HELP: Stalling - What sensors are used with/without MAF

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 07:40 PM

HELP: Stalling - What sensors are used with/without MAF

Went to start a car after it's was parked for an hour and it just starts and dies immediately. If I give it a little gas it runs for a 5 sec, and stalls again. Disconnected MAF - car starts and runs almost normally (speed density, or just pre-programmed A/F ratio mode?)
I guess it's a MAF or some other sensor failing. What is the difference between how and what sensors used in these two modes? Any troubleshooting tips?
Thank you, I appreciate any help!
Old 10-30-2007, 10:16 PM

only real diff is the MAF, all other sensors are still used
Old 10-30-2007, 11:09 PM

Might be an o2 sensor causing it to run rich or lean and just flat making it die. Or if your car is modded maybe your target idle vs coolant temps are set too low and the thing just wont idle when it gets 200 deg. Maybe tell us a bit more about the car than the year and the trans.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:03 PM

Thank you, guys. It seems to me I am having problems with MAF. Cleaned it, cleaned IAC valve, cleaned all contacts. It's still doing this even on cold and warmed-up (with disconnected MAF) engine.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:26 PM
Administrator

Have you scanned it for codes? A faulty coolant temp sensor could cause the PCM to set an excessively rich A/F ratio on cold start.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by WS6T3RROR
Might be an o2 sensor causing it to run rich or lean and just flat making it die. Or if your car is modded maybe your target idle vs coolant temps are set too low and the thing just wont idle when it gets 200 deg. Maybe tell us a bit more about the car than the year and the trans.
O2 sensors aren't used to adjust AFR right after start up; the PCM waits approximately 3 - 5 minutes for the O2's to warm up and the coolant to warm up. Might check the fuel pressure to see if it's within specs. You could also have a leaky fuel injector causing a rich condition.

Last edited by OBE1 95Z28; 10-31-2007 at 10:11 PM.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by OBE1 95Z28
O2 sensors aren't used to adjust AFR right after start up; the PCM waits approximately 3 - 5 minutes for the O2's to warm up and the coolant to warm up. Might check the fuel pressure to see if it's within specs. You could also have a leaky fuel injector causing a rich condition.
DOAH! forgot about the timer.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:29 AM

Thank you for all help! No codes (except old evap code I had for a long time and too lazy to fix and code for MAF, when it's unplugged; when it's plugged - engine is not running). This weekend MAF should come in, and I'll check fuel pressure and temp sensor.
One more question: how to check temp. sensor with multimeter? What resistance/voltage to look at? Thank you!
Old 11-01-2007, 05:07 PM
Administrator

Shoebox has a guide to checking temperature sensors:

http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#ect

Since you appear to have a scanner, can't you just use it to look at what the CLT sensor is reporting to the PCM?
Old 11-01-2007, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by valter
Went to start a car after it's was parked for an hour and it just starts and dies immediately. If I give it a little gas it runs for a 5 sec, and stalls again. Disconnected MAF - car starts and runs almost normally (speed density, or just pre-programmed A/F ratio mode?)
I guess it's a MAF or some other sensor failing. What is the difference between how and what sensors used in these two modes? Any troubleshooting tips?
If it were the maf then unplug it. It should use the map sensor to run speed density. I really doubt this is the maf giving you the problem.
Old 11-03-2007, 03:38 PM

FedEx just brought me a MAF from ebay 5 min ago! Already installed it - and it works!!!!!!! I want to thank everyone for their help

Last edited by valter; 11-03-2007 at 03:43 PM.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:51 PM

FedEx just brought me a MAF from ebay 5 min ago! Already installed it - and it works!!!!!!! I want to thank everyone for their help
Yeah just read your first post correctly. It must have been tired when I made my comment. It seems if there is a big difference when maf is unplugged, then it has issues. Good deal.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:12 AM
Administrator

Thank you, guys. It seems to me I am having problems with MAF. Cleaned it, cleaned IAC valve, cleaned all contacts. It's still doing this even on cold and warmed-up (with disconnected MAF) engine.
Problem is the first post says it runs better with the MAF disconnected, later post seems to indicate it runs poorly with MAF disconnected.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Problem is the first post says it runs better with the MAF disconnected, later post seems to indicate it runs poorly with MAF disconnected.
Sorry for confusion. It wasn't running at all with MAF plugged in. Tried to start, and then immediately dies.
With MAF disconnected it was running "almost ok" with following problems:
- when engine was cold, throttle response was extremely bad
- low on power (very noticably!)
- when cruising on highway, and I let off the gas, RPM drop was so sharp, it felt like I was applying brakes
- I have no idea why, but it was running hotter