LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

HELP! misgiagnosed bad opti now ~$6200 in repairs??

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 06:29 PM

Do you have an Autozone in your area, or any other auto parts place that has loaner tools? If so, get the radiator pressure tester and see if the coolant system holds pressure. It might even pinpoint a leak if you start looking at hoses and clamps, and around the radiator.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:11 PM

Wow. Stories like this remind me why I do my own work.

I hope you get everything figured out.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:29 PM

That is why I have learned to work on my car as well. I've never been ripped off like that, but shady shops give mechanics bad names.

I would encourage you to learn to work on your car. It has saved me tons of money. There are good peeps here willing to help you out as well.

Don't get me wrong, there are some things that have to be done at a dealership, but learning about how your car works will help you in the future.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:49 PM

Its a shame you've thrown all this money away already. You could of bought a nice set of tools, made these repairs and pocketed some cash. Air pumps are usually replaced for free by the dealership because they had a recall on them. The O2 for $400-450 is insane. Its about a $50 part and shouldn't take $400 in labor to install. As most have said the Waterpump and Opti can be had for $500 for the pair. It shouldn't take more than 2-4 hours to replace depending upon your experience/skill level. The head gasket swap isn't easy so I could see $2k being charged for it but I'd never pay that. Plugs and wires is probably a 3-4 hour job, and $100 in parts. As others have mentioned you've been banged, alot! I would suggest you start looking for help from local members of the board. If you can't get anyone to lend a hand you can probably get someone to help do the work at a reasonable price. I know I'd do an opti and water pump install for $500 in a heartbeat and it would be done right.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:17 PM

Here is my firstproblem... You took your car in for a P0300 problem and after $2500+ you got a car back with a P0300 problem...

In my line of work that is called a redo.

Youpaid for something to be repaired and it was not repaired.
They need to fix the problem.

Also your car went in with no head gasket problem and came out with a head gasket problem...

In my line of work that is called a rework. They shop is responsible again.

Problem is as already stated you made your self a target and they took advantage of it. Not your fault it happens all the time.

You need to demand your money back for for the fixing of the P0300 code.

You willprobablyeat the 1100 for plugs and wires because you asked to have them replaced and they were not recommended.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:43 PM

wow dude! they definitely took you for a ride! for the money you spent you could buy a new 97 Z28 with less miles with mods!
but seriously contact an attorney if you paid by cash or check, if you paid by card contact the credit card company and reverse the charges on the grounds that they didnt perform the services promised.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:39 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by 6spd4lf
I didn't "make" myself a target or anything.

about six years ago,....
You waited 6 years to come here..... you could have saved a lot of $$$$$ by coming here at the time you had the first problem.

I took my car to the only chevy dealer within 15 miles of here because I got a code. AIR pump, water pump and something else were the repairs. ....
The dealer should not have charged you for the AIR pump repair. There was an emissions recall on the 95-97 AIR pumps, and he should have replaced it for free.

It was around $900-1100, if I remember correctly. when I got my car back, I started it up I started smelling gas, and wondered why it was so dang strong in the air. I turned off my car, got out and noticed gas pooling underneath the car. I popped the hood and saw that the fuel lines and harness right beside it had been sliced through in a perfect cut like it was done with a razor blade. WHY THE HELL WOULD THERE BE A RAZOR SLICE THROUGH MY FUEL LINE FROM AN AIR PUMP R&R?????????

they fixed that for free,
Since they fixed it for free, they must have accepted responsibility for cutting the line and the harness. Did you bother to ask WHY THE HELL........... What was their response?

but within a day of getting it back the O2 sensor right underneath where the gas was spewing under the hood threw a code and it cost $400-450 to replace it.
At that point in time - 6 years ago - the new sensor was $35. An O2 sensor socket is $10. You could have easilly changed it yourself and saved $350-400.

then, the only "reputable" shop anyone would recommend in the area was the one I've had this nightmare experience with. I've taken it there for my car's FOURTH AIR Pump repair, third or fourth water pump (and I think those were about $600 each).
Why didn't you take it back to the DEALER who fixed the AIR pump the first time, and screwed you over by charging you for a repair that he was obligated to make for FREE under Federal emissions law?

Its really getting to be a sort of far-fetched story at this point. No one would let themselves be abused like this, for a period of 6 years. Sounds a bit like fiction. Are you serious?
Old 02-09-2009, 01:23 AM
sbs

Originally Posted by 6spd4lf
can anyone tell me what the fair going rates are for the following, by themselves:
-water pump replacement
-opti replacement
-intake Motorvac cleaning
If you search this forum you can find what other people have paid for the first two items. Keep in mind that labor rates vary quite a bit across the country.

the second shop quoted me $1800 for head gaskets and then amended it to $2200 for conservatism. is that even fair?
Given that they appear to be unfamiliar with the LT1 and are simply guessing about the source of the (apparently very minor) leak - no.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:14 AM
Retired

Wow.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer

Its really getting to be a sort of far-fetched story at this point. No one would let themselves be abused like this, for a period of 6 years. Sounds a bit like fiction. Are you serious?
I was wondering the same thing. However, if it is serious, is one of the worst cases of abuse of a customer I have seen posted. The second "however" is...this person let themselves be abused to the point of absurdity. The sad thing is, there is almost no way out at this point (aside from going to another shop and starting over).

I can understand people not being able to do their own repairs and having to be at the mercy of a shop, but allowing yourself to be taken for a ride is another thing.

The cost of repairs so far is already more than the car is worth. If it's going to get truly fixed the owner is just going to have to bear the further cost of it. It's just a matter of whether it is worth throwing more money at it.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:01 AM
BTC

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY: Dalton, GA: Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
It's certainly stretching the bounds of ethics. I don't know if you're a drinker, or a fighter, but now might be a good time to start. I would be telling everyone I know to avoid those shops, and I would make sure the shops knew about my campaign to enlighten the public. I felt bad about buying 8 fuel injectors from Advance Auto before stumbling upon this site. In your situation, I would be blowing some $hit up.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by shoebox
I was wondering the same thing. However, if it is serious, is one of the worst cases of abuse of a customer I have seen posted. The second "however" is...this person let themselves be abused to the point of absurdity. The sad thing is, there is almost no way out at this point (aside from going to another shop and starting over).

I can understand people not being able to do their own repairs and having to be at the mercy of a shop, but allowing yourself to be taken for a ride is another thing.

The cost of repairs so far is already more than the car is worth. If it's going to get truly fixed the owner is just going to have to bear the further cost of it. It's just a matter of whether it is worth throwing more money at it.

wow. I came here looking for help to PINPOINT the problem, and all I've gotten was abuse from all of you guys.

If all of y'all do all your own work all the time, that's fine. but don't try to imply that I don't know anything about my car because I keep getting exposed to unfortunate circumstances. It's been the story of my life, unfortunately.

What I'm describing is common in my area of Houston. Price quote from the dealer for the stuff that's already been done is right in line with what I've been charged. I asked them for a price quote just moments ago, prior to explaining the situation. So that's just the way things are around here.

At this point I can tell you that some of you on here are as bad as the shops around here, only instead of telling me there's something that needs to be done on my car that doesn't exist, you're telling me there's something that doesn't exist on my car (coolant through the intake) that actually does. The Haynes manual I have for my '97 LT1 shows coolant passages right next to the intake ports, and recommends using RTV in addition to the gaskets sealing them from the heads. The only way I know my Haynes manual is right is by taking the top off my block. But I think all my experience shows they're pretty much dead on. Now, I can't explain why in the hell the LT1 has coolant flowing through it (or why it flows hot coolant through the throttle body to "cool" it), but that's what I'm stuck with.

So who else wants to come up with some snappy insults directed at me?
Old 02-09-2009, 10:02 AM
BTC

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY: Dalton, GA: Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
I don't really know enough to help with your particular situation, but I'm pretty sure that no coolant flows through, or touches, the intake manifold. I can tell you that changing the optispark & water pump are relatively simple if you have the proper tools and somewhere to do it. For what you're being charged, you could buy a lot of tools and still come out way ahead. Changing an O2 sensor is very simple. I can't believe anyone would quote 400-450 for that work.

You're probably going to have put up with some ribbing, but you will get some good help if you drop your defenses. As someone already pointed out, the amount of the quotes you've been given already exceed the value of your car.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:04 AM

The RTV is used on the front and back of the intake.....it keeps oil from leaking which is a common problem with LT1's.....it has nothing to do with coolant. As far as the coolant through the throttle body, I dont no the exact reason for it....but it has something to do with warming up the throttle body when the engine is cold......most people bypass this......hope it helps and i'm sorry your having suck bad luck with your car....I hope everything works out
Old 02-09-2009, 10:05 AM
BTC

Also, if you do plan to start doing some of your own work, get some actual Factory Service Manuals off of EBay. Haynes & Chilton manuals can't always be trusted.

Quick Reply: HELP! misgiagnosed bad opti now ~$6200 in repairs??