LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Gauging Interest in "BIG" CID LT1 Block

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 09:53 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yesterday I called Dart to get their published flow numbers on a set of Dart heads I recently bought.

In the conversation with the Tech Support guy, he mentioned that Dart is "considering" casting one of their SHP blocks to become, essentially, a BIG CUBIC INCH LT1 block.

Dart would make the necessary modifications and cast the block to take the LT1 to the next level, but management was concerned about whether there would be enough of a market to defray the costs.

When I mentioned 4.125 bore as standard, his response was, "Oh, a 4.125" bore would be tiny compared to what Dart's considering".

So based on that, we're talking over 454 cubic inches with the new LT1 block which would accept all the LT1 accessories; including heads, intake manifolds, starter, alternator, water pump, Opti, power steering, etc., etc. He mentioned that it would probably be a two piece rear main seal arrangement.

Now, I didn't get many more details, like probable cost, etc., only that company management would have to gauge the demand before agreeing to move in that direction. Remember, this is only in the "consideration stage" right now.

I told the Tech guy that I'd post a thread like this one to see just how many guys would be interested in buying such a block. So if anyone's interested, post a response here and the Technican will review what's written and pass on the responses to management.

I intend to post this thread on several other Forums, too.

Just thought it might be of interest to some.

Jake

West Point Rocks!
Old 04-04-2009, 01:58 PM

it would be a great idea, however, for a 454 LTx, the crappy heads we have would not be able to flow enough. I would think like a 414 or so would be MAX that our heads could flow for.

I would definately be interested though.
Old 04-04-2009, 02:08 PM

twin posts here and ls1t almost tricked me. I agree with reamo, I would like to get it, but do not have the money. And the heads bleh.
Old 04-04-2009, 02:19 PM

Talking

Count me in. I am very interested to see where this goes. From personal experience I have seen some large cubes small blocks put down some serious numbers.
Old 04-04-2009, 02:30 PM

I would be interested, no doubt.
Old 04-04-2009, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by reamo04
it would be a great idea, however, for a 454 LTx, the crappy heads we have would not be able to flow enough. I would think like a 414 or so would be MAX that our heads could flow for.

I would definately be interested though.
I don't want to get into the habit to responding to these responses because I really have no interest in the success of what Dart's considering. That is, whether Dart casts the new block or not. But when I read a post that I believe is in error, I can't resist commenting.

Actually, if you spend a little time reseaching like I just did you'll find that there are some LT1/4 heads out there right now capable of flowing enough air to make 750+ HP, naturally aspirated.

In fact, some of them actually outflow the original, big port GM High Performance Big Block heads that came on 454 engines, like the LS6.

I have a site URL that has the listing of a LOT of head flow numbers, showing whether they're stock or ported and, if ported, who did the work. It also shows how much power that amount of flow is capable of making.

Now, if cost is a concern, I can understand that because many of us can't afford such an engine build. But to say there are no heads to support those cubes just ain't so.

The intake shouldn't be a problem either. A guy in CA named Bob Jones ported a TPIS Mini-Ram and got right at 400 CFM out of it; turbulance free.

AFR has some LT1, 227s that outflow most BB 454 heads that came from the General. He**, even some 210s would have you spending a lot of time at the tire store.

So, the heads are available; it's the $$ thing that becomes the concern.

I'd be happy with a 496 with some 195s on it; talk about a torque monster.

I've spent way too much time responding to responses today beginning right after I posted what Dart's thinking about. So I think what I'll do is to unsubscribe to this thread (and the ones I posted on the other Forums too) because it's become too tempting to respond. Eating up al my time.

You guys can call Rick, Tech Support - at Dart if you have any more questions. I'm just the messenger.

1-248-362-1188

And I'm outta here, LOL

Jake

West Point ROCKS!
Old 04-04-2009, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by JAKEJR
I don't want to get into the habit to responding to these responses because I really have no interest in the success of what Dart's considering. That is, whether Dart casts the new block or not. But when I read a post that I believe is in error, I can't resist commenting.

Actually, if you spend a little time reseaching like I just did you'll find that there are some LT1/4 heads out there right now capable of flowing enough air to make 750+ HP, naturally aspirated.

In fact, some of them actually outflow the original, big port GM High Performance Big Block heads that came on 454 engines, like the LS6.

I have a site URL that has the listing of a LOT of head flow numbers, showing whether they're stock or ported and, if ported, who did the work. It also shows how much power that amount of flow is capable of making.

Now, if cost is a concern, I can understand that because many of us can't afford such an engine build. But to say there are no heads to support those cubes just ain't so.

The intake shouldn't be a problem either. A guy in CA named Bob Jones ported a TPIS Mini-Ram and got right at 400 CFM out of it; turbulance free.

AFR has some LT1, 227s that outflow most BB 454 heads that came from the General. He**, even some 210s would have you spending a lot of time at the tire store.

I've spent way too much time responding to responses today beginning right after I posted what Dart's thinking about. So I think what I'll do is to unsubscribe to this thread (and the ones I posted on the other Forums too) because it's become too tempting to respond. Eating up al my time.

You guys can call Rick, Tech Support - at Dart if you have any more questions. I'm just the messenger.

1-248-362-1188

And I'm outta here, LOL

Jake

West Point ROCKS!

cool, how many 750+ Hp N/A LT1s using LT1 heads and LT1 intakes have you seen?

You realize that the WORLDS FASTEST LT1 runs 8.0's right, and is twin turbod?

The only LT1s i see over 700+ RWHP are FI or nitrous.

I love the idea of dart making a new block for us, as it gives us more options, however going too big may be an issue when it comes to feeding that motor at higher RPMS
Old 04-04-2009, 04:12 PM

I like this idea, but one would have to weigh the cost as to which would go farther, better, faster for the money spent- Big "rocket block" style LT1 or a big displacement LS1 swap.
Old 04-04-2009, 05:52 PM

Sign me up, Ive been dreaming of a big cube lt1.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by JAKEJR

1-248-362-1188

And I'm outta here, LOL

Jake

West Point ROCKS!
I politely disagree. Most LT1 specific heads are woefully inadequate for even 383/396 builds. The options for the "big guys"are pretty much hand ported TFS or AFR heads(both = $$$), or converted and/or ported SBC heads...which would be even more expensive.

You don't get many LT1s making over 550 or so crank hp N/A, whereas thats almost easy on a big cube SBC...and nevermind an LSX !

A stroked LSX makes 10 more horsepower every time you wink and smile at it.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:06 PM

See it made it over here too! lol

Here is an update. My engine builder was the one that brought this concept to Dart. I posted on other boards about this awhile ago. Those that have a desire to build this will be excited to know........

Dart will be getting a block and front cover that I have. This is to get all the measurements taken.

I will keep everyone posted and answer any questions I can. The man responsible for all this is Jerry Clayton. Those that are older will remember him from the 70's from the California Charger T/F car as well as others. Any questions that I can't answer I will get the info to him as he is only on a few message boards and is quite a busy man.

Last edited by jpack24; 04-06-2009 at 05:23 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:04 PM
Kaj

I'd like to see where this goes...
Old 04-07-2009, 01:56 PM

I'd drop the coin for one unshroud those valve's
Old 04-07-2009, 02:58 PM

Thats awsome a big inch lt1, i am all for it!!!!!!
Old 04-07-2009, 03:21 PM

if i could drop my internals into it with some bigger pistons id sell my stock splayed block in an instant.

Quick Reply: Gauging Interest in "BIG" CID LT1 Block