LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Free / Cheap Mods ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 04:38 AM

.....thank you MTRHDS94Z.... Bill...
Old 01-24-2004, 12:54 PM

Is there any draw backs with the 4.7 resistor in winter months?
Old 01-24-2004, 04:43 PM

I guess you can do the resistor in alot of cars my friends import has the same thing done.
Old 01-24-2004, 05:26 PM

i gained a coupla hundredths at the track doin it!
Wow!! I didnt think I could get any gains by removing the donkey dong. What I was talking about is the black conecting pipe from the MAF to the Air filter Box. I knew it was resctrictive and I tested the car without it. Bingo I had more air flowing in the car. I cant dish the money for a CAI and I dont like the oily K&N filters that pop off the CAI all the time. I will research what can be done about it.

Marvin
Old 01-24-2004, 07:37 PM

Originally posted by ibanez6rg
Yea I guess doing what I said would be stupid.

It's not like Fred (Injuneer) has a fast car and would do something silly like this.

A resistor to whack the timing sounds grand.
I dont think he was talking down on you, but that the IAC relocating isnt the best IAC mod. I dont know much about the resistor thing, but i might try it out.
Old 01-24-2004, 07:37 PM

I never really liked that resistor mod, so i just relocated my IAT all the way down in my splash shield area right after my 9 inch air filter.

Make a home made CAI with $10 worth of flexable 4 inch heat ducting.

Also made my own ram air scoop, works great the filter is right at the opening. Felt a big differance when i did the whole set-up at once.

Drill a 2 inch whole before your exhaust bends over you axel. Call it a getto-cut-out.

TB bypass is a proven gainer.

Removed that silencer tube from my elbow and plactic welded the opening shut.

try them out.
Old 01-25-2004, 12:36 AM

Yea I guess doing what I said would be stupid.
I wasnt talking down to you. We have too many powertrip experts on this board already. I must admit when I read it back sounds a bit harsh. Please accept my apologies. In my humble opinion I dont think that mod is very safe but then I remembered I havent seen any Dyno tests just yet. I havent done the resistor mod myself. I do have all kind of resistors laying around so if someone could give me some light as to how to test the performance using a hand held scanner then I would slap a resistor on it and make it look like its -30*f out there .

Really I would like to see if there is some truth to that mod. I still think the resistor combined with the IAT in series if by far safer than just telling the PCM is 50*f out there. Hey PCM dont believe the 110*f he is showing in his passenger side thermometer... just give me more timing argh argh =)

Has anyone done any dyno tests at all? I have no idea of how to test the timing theory. I just ordered the LT4 Module from GM parts direct in advance to my future roller rockers mod. Funny how expensive their delivery fees are but they are by far cheaper then the so called Discount AutoParts on this Rock I live on.

Anyway. I think the PCM may encounter a hard time getting the correct amount of fuel into the engine when I realize all the garbage being fed by the EGR into the Manifold Plus the Evaporative Canister. (if one of the valves gets stuck open it will suck fumes straight from the gas tank and into the Intake Manifold. I was reading about it today on the chiltons book.

Marvin
Old 01-26-2004, 08:17 AM

The cheap mods. got to love them.
Old 01-26-2004, 09:56 AM

I have an LT4 KM and always run 93 octane gas. Two weeks ago I tried the 4.7 K ohm resister in the harness as described by TABAHR, and plugged the inlet to the CAI elbow. Using my scanmaster, no codes were noted and the temp registered 57* all the time. The sotp experience in terms of throttle response after the car warmed up was positive and noticeable. Haven't done an "after" comparison and may do that this week. Did it add hp or torque? I don't know as I haven't measured it. Did it feel like a performance improvement mod? YES! BTW, no changes were noted in any other scamnmaster readings. Plan to do a few wot runs and capture that data this week. Just my $.02 on a "free" mod that seems to work.
Thanks!
Old 01-26-2004, 10:45 AM

Free Mod's

Keep Them Free Mod's Comming!!!!!!! Free Mod's Kick ***!!!
Old 01-26-2004, 11:43 AM

I think drilling a hole into the exhaust wouldnt be that good of an idea, a cutout only costs 30 some dollars, and eventually your exhaust might rust out the other way.

Also, Ive read that the performance shift mode just changes line pressure. This could lead to premature tranny failure because changing the way the transmission shifts without modifying the internals is pretty bad. Could somebody else step up on this?

Last edited by b-stevens; 01-26-2004 at 11:55 AM.
Old 01-26-2004, 05:17 PM

Originally posted by fastcamz28
I have an LT4 KM and always run 93 octane gas. Two weeks ago I tried the 4.7 K ohm resister in the harness as described by TABAHR, and plugged the inlet to the CAI elbow. Using my scanmaster, no codes were noted and the temp registered 57* all the time. The sotp experience in terms of throttle response after the car warmed up was positive and noticeable. Haven't done an "after" comparison and may do that this week. Did it add hp or torque? I don't know as I haven't measured it. Did it feel like a performance improvement mod? YES! BTW, no changes were noted in any other scamnmaster readings. Plan to do a few wot runs and capture that data this week. Just my $.02 on a "free" mod that seems to work.
Thanks!
another happy customer. Not much $$ to be made in the FREE mod department
Old 01-26-2004, 06:41 PM

actually drilling a hole in your i-pipe allows moisture to drip out, and i mean alot of moisture. Which in turn will increase the life of your muffler from rusting out. and if you don't like it, then just weld the hole up. Mod only takes 5 mins to do and undo.
Old 01-26-2004, 09:07 PM

Come on keep the free mods. coming.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:54 PM

...yeah B-Stevens, the mod that makes the transmission shift harder in a Camaro is doing the same thing that the 'Transmission Performance' switch in my '94 Trans Am is doing so it shouldn't hurt your transmission {oh, its a factory switch thats on the center council}.... Bill...

Quick Reply: Free / Cheap Mods ?