LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Free / Cheap Mods ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 12:23 AM

Check out this thread. It covers the pros, cons and goes into pretty deep detail. Give the mod a try, if you dont think it is a good idea, simply plug the sensor back in. You lose nothing.

http://www.f-body.com/forum/showthre...r&pagenumber=1

note: this mod should not be done on 1993 speed density cars. the IAT sensor on those cars does more than simply calculate rate of advance.

Last edited by TraceZ; 01-19-2004 at 12:25 AM.
Old 01-19-2004, 03:00 AM

...hey, thanks TABAHR... I'm going to try it tomorrow....

***does anyone know if that 'performance mode' button is the same thing as the button on my '94 trans Am? In the center council between the seats. Or can this be done 'in addition to'??? Thanks Bill....
Old 01-19-2004, 08:17 AM

Originally posted by TABAHR
Bypass the IAT sensor with a 4.7K ohm resistor.

Here is a picture of the sensor
http://shbox.com/1/iat.jpg

Just unplug it, bend the resistor into a "U" shape, stick the ends in the plug on the harness end, wrap it in tape and stick it in a film canister for protection.

This will fool your computer into thinking it is always 52 degrees outside, resulting in better performance due to a better mixture. You know how your car always seems more responsive when it ic cold? with this mod it feels like that all the time!

The resistor can be purchased at Radio Shack for next to nothing. You'll get a package containing about 20 of them for $3.

Have fun!
Where do you find info. like this? I would like to see where it came from to read. Thanks
Old 01-19-2004, 08:28 AM

Originally posted by Eliminator
Where do you find info. like this? I would like to see where it came from to read. Thanks
This isn't the only f-bod message forum on the net. Check out the link I shared in my previous post. I heard about the IAT mod there. I noticed a difference in the feel of my accelerator pedal immediately. It is snappier under part throttle loads when fully warm, just like it is when I first start it.

do a search on the word "resistor" or "4.7k" and check out the results.
Old 01-19-2004, 04:36 PM

TABAHR,

Does it matter if the resistor is 1/4 watt or does it need to be higher? My local Radio Shack was out of the 1/2 watt so I went w/ the 1/4 watt. Will monitor the temp w/ the Scanmaster to see if this works.
Thanks!
Old 01-19-2004, 06:10 PM

Does it matter if the resistor is 1/4 watt or does it need to be higher?
For this MOD you can go smaller or higher in the Watt area... There is a very little current flowing through the IAT. Its meant to be really low to keep the IAT from generating Heat of its own and ruining the readings (the IAT is Thermistor it changes resistance with temperature).

so yes you can go with a higher wattage resistor, just do not change the resistance. keep the same resistace.

Marvin
Old 01-19-2004, 10:19 PM

Originally posted by MentalCaseOne
For this MOD you can go smaller or higher in the Watt area... There is a very little current flowing through the IAT. Its meant to be really low to keep the IAT from generating Heat of its own and ruining the readings (the IAT is Thermistor it changes resistance with temperature).

so yes you can go with a higher wattage resistor, just do not change the resistance. keep the same resistace.

Marvin
yeah, what he said.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:33 AM

I went to Radio Shack 5 for .99 cheap performance gain.
Old 01-20-2004, 11:41 AM

Will the performance mode work on a 97 A4?I think I read before where it wouldnt but I cant remember.
Old 01-21-2004, 02:08 PM

The biggest performance gain I can be a witness of is removing that restrictive OEM plastic duct (on my 95Z28).

Took scanner readings on Two WOT runs same day, same place, within minutes from each other.

With all the ducting put together My car inhaled 227 grms/sec
With the Plastic duct Removed.....My car inhaled 267 grms/sec

that one change increased the breathing by 40 grms/sec.
I dont know how much HP it translates to but I bet it was about
10HP. Thats about the same people report with a Cold Air Kit.
So I either dish out the 200 bucks for a CAI or make my own Cold air kit.

Marvin
Old 01-22-2004, 03:44 PM

Originally posted by MentalCaseOne
The biggest performance gain I can be a witness of is removing that restrictive OEM plastic duct (on my 95Z28).

Took scanner readings on Two WOT runs same day, same place, within minutes from each other.

With all the ducting put together My car inhaled 227 grms/sec
With the Plastic duct Removed.....My car inhaled 267 grms/sec

that one change increased the breathing by 40 grms/sec.
I dont know how much HP it translates to but I bet it was about
10HP. Thats about the same people report with a Cold Air Kit.
So I either dish out the 200 bucks for a CAI or make my own Cold air kit.

Marvin
Which plastic duct?
Old 01-22-2004, 05:23 PM

i think he meant the oem air intake from the maf to the filter. Install a CAI iam pretty sure thats what hes getting at . let me know if iam wrong .
Old 01-22-2004, 06:40 PM

Originally posted by billsbird
...hey, thanks TABAHR... I'm going to try it tomorrow....

***does anyone know if that 'performance mode' button is the same thing as the button on my '94 trans Am? In the center council between the seats. Or can this be done 'in addition to'??? Thanks Bill....
It is the same thing..
This mod is only for 94-5 Z's...
The PCM already has the program in it [same as the performance mode button in the birds] so all you have to do is rig a momentary switch so you can 'activate' it...
Old 01-23-2004, 02:23 AM

i think he meant the oem air intake from the maf to the filter
Thats the one. Also I noticed that once I removed that OEM plastic duct the average intake air temp went up, (ofcourse). So with a cold air kit or some non-restrictive ducting I bet I can get at least one or two ponies more.

I was looking at temps of 140 to 150* at the IAT. With the OEM ducting in place I saw temps of 92*f. I like the CAIs but I cant dish out the cash just yet. Good Mod fer sure if I can find some good material to fabricate my own ducting.

Marvin
Old 01-23-2004, 04:06 AM

are you talking about the resinator tube??? the black plastic tube that hangs down from the 90 at the TB?? i made a plexiglass plate and blocked mine off. ahh when im bored at work!! i gained a coupla hundredths at the track doin it!

Quick Reply: Free / Cheap Mods ?