LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Found out the hard way EveReady batteries need longer terminal bolts.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 01:36 PM

Found out the hard way EveReady batteries need longer terminal bolts.

So I let the Sam's club tire tech replace my battery. The EverReady was the cheapest battery they had and installation was free. It took over a half hour for the tech to do it and I had to wonder why. I found out last night when the camaro wouldn't start. Car went completely dead. Used a battery tester and battery voltage was a little low but load tested OK. Wiggled the battery leads and the negative was loose. Inspection looked like the battery threads where completely striped but found the threads were in deeper with the EverReady battery. Used a makeshift 3/8" bolt with a 3/8" nut for a spacer to get the cable terminal to tighten up. Found nearly every parts store carries Long Battery Bolts. Never knew that.

Man every time a new fault rises up I start to think of the "donate your vehicle" commercials make good sense. I just don't have an hour every week to keep this beast rolling. I like it and have fun with it but it takes to much time from my other hobbies. Have a new opti that need to go in and if that doesn't work out the car may have to go. Just don't have the time and space for a chronic fixer.
Old 04-17-2019, 06:03 PM

Re: Found out the hard way EveReady batteries need longer terminal bolts.

Originally Posted by cardo0
So I let the Sam's club tire tech replace my battery. The EverReady was the cheapest battery they had and installation was free. It took over a half hour for the tech to do it and I had to wonder why. I found out last night when the camaro wouldn't start. Car went completely dead. Used a battery tester and battery voltage was a little low but load tested OK. Wiggled the battery leads and the negative was loose. Inspection looked like the battery threads where completely striped but found the threads were in deeper with the EverReady battery. Used a makeshift 3/8" bolt with a 3/8" nut for a spacer to get the cable terminal to tighten up. Found nearly every parts store carries Long Battery Bolts. Never knew that.

Man every time a new fault rises up I start to think of the "donate your vehicle" commercials make good sense. I just don't have an hour every week to keep this beast rolling. I like it and have fun with it but it takes to much time from my other hobbies. Have a new opti that need to go in and if that doesn't work out the car may have to go. Just don't have the time and space for a chronic fixer.
Are you from Las Vegas man