LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Dyno Results, OMG!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 05:54 AM

Re: Dyno Results, OMG!

Originally Posted by ascastil
Idle-41psi.
FPR vacuum line removed-46psi.
It would appear that your fuel pressure is NOT the problem since on the dyno your numbers got richer as you got closer to WOT.

Data log time while driving around town.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:19 AM

That's exactly what the guy running the dyno said.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:18 PM

Ok, I need to get some data logging software but have no clue on where to start, what to buy, what I need to be logging to find out what is going on with the car. I started a post in the computer diagnostics section with a few links to data loggers for OBD2. I have no idea what to get, I need some assistance. Anybody want to take a look and tell me what exactly kind of software I need, widebands, etc? I guess the easy part was throwing the parts on, now comes the time to make it all work together.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:56 PM

Autotap?
Old 08-09-2012, 05:06 PM

Just got a call from dynotap, that's a no go.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:36 AM

For tuning and datalogging the 96-97 dont have alot of selection. Hp tuners suite package with gm enhancement is one and the other is jet dst and use ecmpro scan. I got the jet used and saved some money and then added to that the ecmpro scan and was cheaper than hp tuners suite with enhancements. Your looking at close to 700 bucks. Many switch to the obd1 and get into it cheaper. Ive seen people happy with conversion and others not so much. Those options give you the logging and flashing to change the tune. Good luck.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:42 AM

I meant to add those are the logging options that work with the hardware that the flashing software provides. I was looking at palmer performance as one logging option as well but would have had to get whatever other cables or adapters and since ecmpro scan worked off the jet platform with nothing else and I bought the jet copy used at a good price I went that way. I thing the hp tuner may be cheaper if your buying new and getting the flashing and logging side of things
Old 08-10-2012, 11:06 AM

Another option is solomon offers a loaner on cables and software and tunes it then three retunes for a good price and that would get you the logging and hopefully tuned in the week and given its the tune that needs tweeked or the logging showed your problem and you got that fixed in time you could get out for the 180 or whatever the cost is on that.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:37 PM

AutoTap OBD II Diagnostic Scanner by B&B Electronics NO RESERVE | eBay

You still need Jet DST, but you might can nab the above at a good price.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:21 PM

Great ideas, thanks so much ! Might just throw out a good bid over that $10 dollar one and see how long it holds off other buyers, lol. If not at least now I know of a few more options.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:12 AM

Ok, I got the goods! Autotap ATUSB and JET tuning software. Plus some AC Delco O2 sensors just to be sure. The dyno guys will take care of the tuning, I just need to make sure the car is running top notch, which is where the forum comes into play. I need to know what to look for in the data logging world, what needs to be in spec, hell i dont know, tell me what to do! You guys told me what needs to be done on the top end to make it go fast,the suspension mods, everything. For example, IAC counts, what the hell are those?!!! The easy part was bolting the parts on, now comes tuning, fudge!!! I just want it to be over. After I find out what I need to log, I guess Ill start a post in the computer section, but please keep an eye out for it.

FYI, if it matters for those of you with the 96-97 pcm's, Amazon has the Jet software for $340. Most places have it for $475.

Last edited by ascastil; 08-31-2012 at 02:25 AM.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:48 PM

No one's going to be able to tell you everything that needs to be taught for you to be able to tune your engine. It's not that easy or any chimp could do it. There are a couple things you probably should study and read up on, though, and that is engine tuning basics (ignition and fuel), how EFI engines function, and what the parameters for your system are in relation to the first two topics. There's tons of information out there. Do some research, log some data, and study the data and see if you can understand it - it'll take you a while - good luck with it!
Old 09-01-2012, 07:58 PM

There are a LOT of us that play with the OBD1 LT1 pcm, there are not that many who self tune and log the OBD2. I have never even looked at the OBD2 software so I don't know how it displays things and therefore I don't want to confuse you by possibly offering wrong advise.

For the 94-5 pcm if you buy the nicest software and cables it is a whopping $255 for Datamaster, Tunercat and the very nice molded plug cable and there are ways to save money from that low figure. I am not telling you to switch, just telling you why so many people switch and why so many people have the datalogging and tuning software for the 94-5.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:06 PM

I will absolutely not be attempting to tune the motor, no way Jose. I will let the guy on the dyno be doing the tuning, he just doesnt have the software so I had to buy it. I just wanted to make sure the car was running proper to put a tune on it, which was suggested in this thread, which is why I bought the data logging software.
I would switch over to the obd1 pcm in a heartbeat, but with no cats, o2 delete, I wouldnt pass emissions.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:51 PM
Administrator

This may help you understand the data log. It's basically for "stockish" engines, but the fundamentals are the same.

http://www.injuneer.com/ScanMast.html

The "quick jumps" do not work since I relocated my website.