Computer Diagnostics and Tuning Technical discussion on diagnostics and programming of the F-body computers

need some help guys

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 05:14 AM

need some help guys

new here , so dont know if this is in the right spot ,
i have a 55 chevy with a 5.3 and 01 PCM ( red & blue) plug , the car runns great all but for PO134,PO154, when i had the car tuned and dyno there was something wrong with the o2 so we left them off , now i have replaced them with new ones i have gotten a tune with them on , and now i am getting these code , i have traced wiring for a week now everything ohms out great , i have 13 volt going to the sensor and looks like i have .08 from the sensor ( volt meter ) here are a few pics i think its wired right i do have a HP tuner also ,, i have tunes and log i can post , sorry for a long post

Name:  diag_zpsgff7u1m7.jpg
Views: 3688
Size:  31.6 KB
Old 09-29-2015, 08:31 AM
Administrator

Re: need some help guys

Those codes can set due to an open circuit. The PCM supplies an 0.45 Volt bias voltage. If the circuit is open, the PCM sees a steady value within the range of 0.35 - 0.55 Volts, and the code sets. The code could also be due to the sensor heaters not working, or the sensors being located too far from the engine to heat up sufficiently.

When the sensors reach ~600*F, they become active, and add to, or subtract from the PCM bias voltage, based on the O2 content of the exhaust.

You should have 12-13 Volts on the power supply to the heater circuits. That would be the pink (+12V) and black (ground) wires in the harness, and pins "C" and "D" in the connector.

Under what conditions did you get 0.08 Volts for the sensor? Engine running? If so, for how long - typically takes 1 to 3 minutes for the sensor to reach operating temp. Measured across pins "A" and "B" of the connector?

This is the wiring diagram and connector face from the 2000 factory manual, which should be identical to 2001. They only show the Bank 2/Sensor 1 connector in the manual, but the other side will be the same.

Old 09-29-2015, 10:18 AM

thanks for the reply
i got the .8 after it was running a while ,, i believe the fan was running ,so i was up to temp ,, you raised a good point about the sensors being too far down the line whats the normal distance ? i am running stock manifolds ,, i am only running the front sensors no rears, i believe its wired up right and the sensors are new ,, , the ones i took out was new also , now if the sensors wires was crossed would that make a difference ( tan& purple)i know the tan is low and purple is high , but i dont know whats what on the sensors , i know the 2 white are heater and i have a black and gray there also , you can see by the drawing how i have them ,,i will measure the distance the sensors are from the manifold ,,
again sorry for the long reply , i just been going crazy over this
Old 09-29-2015, 12:07 PM

just checked my o2 sensors are about 6 " from manifold flange,, also the sensors are bosch 15150 , could i have the wrong ones ???

Last edited by fift5; 09-29-2015 at 01:03 PM.
Old 09-29-2015, 03:35 PM
Administrator

With stock manifolds, and that close, you should not have a problem with them heating up.

In general, most people find the best results with AC Delco or Delphi sensors. But I don't see why the Bosch sensors would set codes for limited movement of the readings.

In your 1st post you indicated .08 volts (which is a lean reading) and in the next post you indicated .8 volts, which would be a rich reading. When the sensors are hot enough, coolant is hot enough, and the timer from start has timed out, the PCM transitions to closed loop operation, where it is adjusting the A/F ratio based on O2 sensor feedback. The PCM is also toggling the A/F ratio back and forth rapidly (9 times per second) between slightly rich and slightly lean because that is what is required for the catalytic converters to work (doesn't matter if you have cats or not, or whether the after-cat sensors are tuned out). As a result, the O2 sensors should be moving up and down, over a range of 0.0x volts to 0.9x volts. So you can't really read the O2 sensors with a volt meter when the system is in closed loop because they are changing way to fast.

You also can't get good readings of the O2 sensors with a volt meter. You have to have a very high impedance meter, and even then the readings can be off by 0.20 volts or so. You need to use a scanner to read the sensors directly from the PCM.
Old 09-29-2015, 03:58 PM

sorry it is .8 ,, i would like you to see my tune and log , i see that i cant upload files right now being that i am new i guess , i believe its right as well , i dont know what else to do, i am going to check my wiring again , were can i find out about the low and high wire on the sensor what color goes were i have black and gray on the sensor, you can see from my first drawing were i have them now , dont know if its right,

thanks

i did just find this ,, i have bosch 15150 now says its a narrow band and 550mm long , i looked up one for a 01 camero and its a 13029 same narrow but 375mm long could that be it ????

Last edited by fift5; 09-29-2015 at 04:07 PM.
Old 09-30-2015, 05:28 AM

how would i find out whats low and high on sensors ( black & gray ) ??
Old 09-30-2015, 09:12 AM
Administrator

Did your Bosch sensor come with a connector already installed, or just bare wires?

With the connector, assuming it's a duplicate of the OEM harness connector, the wires should be in the correct A, B, C, and D positions. With just bare wires, I would expect instructions to be included to identify the function of each wire. On a GM sensor, the wires are typically pink and black for the heater element, and purple for sensor element high and tan for sensor low.

If you have a data log in .csv or Excel format, I can take a look at it. I am not a tuner, and don't review tunes.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:21 AM

yes oem stock plugs ,mine has been changed , so i dont know what is low and high ,, i have black and gray , i do have the wrong sensors, i am getting the right one tom,but i would like to make sure get the lows and highs in the right spot , the pink and black goes to the to whites on the sensors but its the other ones ,, i hope its just i have the wrong sensors . ill see tom
thanks
Old 09-30-2015, 03:25 PM
Administrator

If you get the correct sensor with connector for a 2001, and you have the correct harness for a 2001, the connector should be correctly wired, with no intervention on your part. That's why the connectors is "keyed"... so it only connects to the harness in the correct position.

The Bosch website indicated the sensor for the 2001 Camaro V8 is 13029.

Premium Oxygen (O2) Sensors | Bosch Auto Parts

This Bosch data sheet indicates the heater circuit is the white wires, sensor (high) is black and sensor ground (low) is gray.

http://www.boschxperience.com/docume...e-f93c7185d178
Old 09-30-2015, 03:49 PM

thanks fred
i sure hope the correct sensors fix this,, when i get the new ones , i will make sure i have the correct wires going to the right spot , if this dont fix it i am going to run temp wires to ecm ,, i have ohm them out they showed fine ,, i am ready for this 55 chevy to get some good mileage lol
thanks again for helping i sure needed it
Old 10-01-2015, 10:31 AM

it worked all this trouble for the wrong sensors ,, do you have a way to look at a log ?? i can send you this

thanks again for helping i was beginning to worry