LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Deltec with bad opti?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 08:28 AM

Deltec with bad opti?

I have a chance to buy a deltec system for a great price. My car misses above 5k and it has to be my opti b/c i have new plugs wires coil so it must be that. Can i just hook up the deltec and my problem be fixed? Also it comes with coils, ICM, Delteq box is that everything? Is delteq had to hook up? thanks!
Old 10-05-2005, 08:41 AM

Re: Deltec with bad opti?

Originally Posted by Nick-LT1
I have a chance to buy a deltec system for a great price. My car misses above 5k and it has to be my opti b/c i have new plugs wires coil so it must be that. Can i just hook up the deltec and my problem be fixed? Also it comes with coils, ICM, Delteq box is that everything? Is delteq had to hook up? thanks!
From the research Ive gathered on this board and on the Delteq website you must have a properly working opti for them to work.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:14 AM

It depends on which part of the opti has failed. If the High-voltage portion of the opti is what is failing then the Delteq will solve the issue. If the optical pickup part is shot, then a new opti is in order for anything to work properly.

That sounds like most of it, make sure you get all the harnesses that come with it, and you're going to need new plug wires as well.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:16 AM

As others said, if the optical pickup portion of the opti is bad, then the Delteq is useless. However, when this part usually goes the car wont even run. If you have a miss, it could be in the cap/rotor which the Delteq will fix. The system still relie on the optical pickup portion of the opti for timing purposes but converts the car over to a waste-spark coilpack system. Get a good set of plug wires and have at it. Take your time, however the installation is fairly straightforward and easy. I had mine installed in 4 hours and my buddy's in 3 the next day.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:28 AM

I have some questions on this.
Is there a way to check the Cadillac Northstar ignition Module?
I found one in a salvage yard.
And sec I found somebody that had the Delteq controller can I just buy the harness?
Sorry don't mean to Hijack you thread.
Thanks,

Chris G.
Old 10-05-2005, 03:04 PM

So are you telling me that i should get it. B/c my car runs perfectly fine expect at wot at 5k it has a studder/miss. But from my understanding that is from the cap and rotor?? Is there any way to make sure the the optical part is working correctly? Or is it just if the optical part isnt working the car will not start?
Old 10-05-2005, 04:10 PM

Your optical section is fine. It's not the type of part that can miss or work internittently. It either works or it dosn't.

By the way. Last year when I installed my Delteq, it was doing EXACTLY what you say yours is doing. My car also didn't run worth a crap when it rained. I've had no problems since I installed my Deltq system. It's one of the few things I would do all over again without a second thought. 112k and the original opti is still in place.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:47 PM

RE AND CHERYL thank you so much that is the answer i was looking for!!!! I am going to get delteq now! Also you car looks great! It looks like it has came a long way.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:56 PM
Administrator

Actually, intermittent problems with the optical section are possible and not unusual, and if the high res pulse pattern dies, you won't even know it. The engine will continue to run. Its only complete loss of low res pulse that shuts the engine down, but intermittent loss can occur, as long as it doesn't persist for more than 2 revs of the crank.

To check for problems with the optical section, scan the PCM, looking for the codes for loss of high resolution pulse (P0372) and/or low resolution pulse (P1371).
Old 10-06-2005, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Actually, intermittent problems with the optical section are possible and not unusual, and if the high res pulse pattern dies, you won't even know it. The engine will continue to run. Its only complete loss of low res pulse that shuts the engine down, but intermittent loss can occur, as long as it doesn't persist for more than 2 revs of the crank.

This advise is exactly correct. I had a dead miss at 4000 RPMs no mis at 3900 no miss at 4300 and gues what the problem was, the OPTI. I have the Delteq and it is a great product but I got two Optis out of the box with problems, one was the 4K miss and the other died with in a week and they where both brand new GM units. I agree that most of the problems with the Opti are on the high voltage side but the optical section can do some strange things as well. Just a point of refernce I also think the Opti is often blamed when it is not the problem.