LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Coolant Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 11:04 AM

Coolant Question

I just picked up my 95 Z28 last saturday and yesterday I was going the TB bypass mod and when I pulled off one of the lines I noticed the coolant was a dark color, almost like oil was mixed in. I then check the coolant filler tube and the dipstick on that was the same color. It smelled like coolant but had a dark color to it. Anyone know what the problem could be?? I am gonna have it flushed, hopefully it won't come back.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:56 AM

Re: Coolant Question

if it was slightly yellowish brown mine was the same way, just time to get a GOOD flush. Not the mickey mouse use your garden hose and an adapter from the prts store flush.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:25 PM

It was pretty dark. My friend is a mechanic, I will just have him do it at his shop.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:55 PM

Some what related is the Lawsuit concerning Dex Cool. If you haven't checked your coolant lately, you probably should.

Dex-Cool

Dex-Cool is an engine coolant, that allegedly claims it will protect engines for up to five years or 150,000 miles. Instead, consumers have had numerous problems with the product, and costly repairs were needed because of damage caused by Dex-Cool. Dex-cool has been linked to corroded and clogged radiators and radiator caps, eroded water pumps, rotten radiator hoses, leaky cooling system gaskets, chronic overheating and engine damage.

Register your Dex-Cool Case
If you feel you qualify for damages or remedies that might be awarded in a possible Dex-cool class action or lawsuit, please fill out the form below. @ https://www.lawyersandsettlements.com/case/dexcool3

Dex-Cool

General Motors Sued in Class Action

CASE STATUS: We are waiting for the courts to approve the group as a Class Action. We do not anticipate an order from the courts until at least August 1, 2005. No registration and no action is required by GM owners at this time. Last updated February 1,2005

dexcool - water pump

The law firm of Cory Watson Crowder and DeGaris, P.C., along with a group of other prominent law firms has filed several class action suits against General Motors alleging defective engine coolant systems in most General Motors vehicles, light trucks and SUVs sold since 1996. That was the year General Motors made the decision to begin using Dex-Cool as the antifreeze/coolant in these vehicles.

dexcool - before & after

The pending class actions seek relief on behalf of all owners of GM vehicles that came from the factory with Dex-Cool. If you are the owner of one of these vehicles, you are a potential class member. If the litigation is successful, all class members will be notified and provided with the paperwork necessary to file a claim. There is no need to contact us at this time, but please visit our website periodically for updates on important developments, bearing in mind that we do not expect any major developments until near the end of 2005. It is not necessary that you contact us at this time. Due to the enormous number of vehicles affected, it is impossible for us to respond to individual inquires, and we do not maintain a list of affected owners.

The e-mail address for our litigation team is Dexcoolteam@cwcd.com.

Until a retainer agreement is signed and accepted you are not considered a client.

© 2005 Cory Watson Crowder & DeGaris, P.C.

Old 06-02-2005, 01:12 PM

Yea my car is a 95 so I don't think that would apply to me.
Old 06-02-2005, 01:34 PM

So what the hell is that supposed to mean? If the DEX COOL isn't any good, why hasn't there been any SVC Bull? Waiting for the result of a Class Action isn't going to do any of us any good if we are still using the stuff and it turns out that it is ruining our cooling systems.

And, what if the CA loses, or is not settled for a long, long time?

That is what this site is for: to research and make determinations regarding things like this. So, in the interest of all our members, we need to conduct research including all the poop the CA team has and inform our members of the consensus, including recommended action.

Law suits are as common as hemorrhoids, butt if they are not successful, or go on and on forever, the victims are still going to suffer the consequences.

I have always thought that the DEX COOL was crap, just based on what it looks like after a short period of time, but I've never heard any factual evidence regarding the product.

I, for one, will have my system completely flushed and refilled with the recommended coolant, however if GM believes that Dex Cool is the one recommended by far over any alternative, and GM dealers go along with it, what do you do and who can you hold responsible if you make the change against their advice and things go bad? JMHO
Old 06-02-2005, 03:32 PM

I bet on your 95 someone mixed dex-cool and ethlyn glycol (green stuff). Some before me did that on my old Formula I had and it looked like dirty oily coolant sludge. Flush it out and do the green stuff.

On the Dex-cool stuff my wife's 02 GA GT has about 50k on it and the dexcool already looks dirty and sludgey. I'm gonna flush it out this weekend as we have noticed the temp gage creeping higher and higher every year.
Old 06-02-2005, 03:33 PM

So I can just use the normal coolant stuff instead of the Dexcool and it won't cause a problem??
Old 06-02-2005, 04:25 PM

My car has Green (non-DexCool) Not sure what the specifics are, it was in there when I bought it. The Dex Cool issue was a surprise to me. Was helping work on an "00 Blazer that had been a victim @ 99k Miles. Got to reading up on it and was surpised that the problems were resulting in a suit. It may be that sometime within the last 10 years since "95 that it may be have DexCool, of course only speculation.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:23 PM

Yea I was talking to my friend and he says it is probably just the dex-cool that has turned a dark color. I thought for a min that oil was leaking into my coolant. That would have sucked
Old 06-03-2005, 06:29 AM

Yeah, Old Coolant is much better than oil in coolant. Just FYI for everyone on the board. The coolant in the Blazer I mentioned had been let run low, maybe a leak who knows, (female operator) and what little fluid was left in the radiator caused it to over heat. There was probably a coke can or more full of solid material that literally looked like fine sandy dirt/ mud clay colored.All fluid was deep black. Huge mess still hoping to resolve the issue, new hoses etc. Hoped the heater core is OK. Water pump impellers eroded...really crazy. This is an issue that GM needs to offer a solution to. ASAP
Old 06-03-2005, 09:01 AM

my guess would be that more than half of the cases of things happening, happen after someone who doesn't know any better just puts the regular green stuff in and not dex-cool. if you mix the two... even ONE DROP... there will be a chemical reaction and it will corrode the entire coolant system, including the block. If you decide to switch to the green stuff from dex-cool, make sure you flush the system REALLY REALLY GOOD!!!!!! Flush it once and fill it with water, run it for a while till it gets to operating temp, let it cool, flush the water out, fill with water again, run it, flush it.... do that proccess like 3 or 4 times. EVERY DROP OF DEX-COOL NEEDS TO BE OUT!!!
Old 06-03-2005, 12:03 PM

I think I will just stick with dex-cool then. I will just have it flushed and then refilled.