Midwest Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, and Wisconsin

vortech heads questions revisited

Old 07-19-2002, 04:45 AM

Question vortech heads questions revisited

Ok Im kinda gearing up (slowly) to prepairing for my winter project (sorry about using the "W" word!) and am unclear on one issue.

My task I wish to perform is cam and heads on my 89 GTA 350. The lower end seems to be relitively fresh (20,000 miles or so), the top end seems clean but less fresh (needed to replace the valve seals last winter).

Im thinking of picking up some junkyard vortech heads. I want to keep my TPI and have seen in the Jegs book that you must use a vortech intake. SO my question is "why"? and has anyone done this with a tpi intake, and what is involved? and for good measure would I be better off porting and polishing my old heads? Ive talked to members about this before but am still unclear (and confused) as to how I want to go.

Im still in the mid 14's and want to be in the 13's. Ive done the headers, and nice custome full exhuast setup, ported and polished the plenum with great results, and did the whole stage three chip, adjustable fuel pressure regulator thing, and had the trans beefed up.

The short block was installed before I got the car and is NOT original. I have no Idea what kind of caprice/jasper cam they put in the thing so thats why I want to replace the cam.

Another thing prompting this teardown is Im starting to see a coolant leak develop on the back of the intake (no biggie for this summer but its gotta be fixed!).

Any advise, free (or cheap) parts or general B.S.ing will be appreciated.

Dan
Old 07-19-2002, 11:59 AM

The only place to get a TPI base manifold is Scoggin-Dickey Chevrolet. They make it to mate TPI to the Vortec heads. I am doing mine over the winter...heres the combo:

Vortec heads milled to achieve 10.5:1 compression, above mentioned base intake siamesed and ported, ASM runners (to look stock ), LT4 hotcam, PFE custom long tube headers to a 3" Y-pipe to 3 1/2" single to SpinTech muffler out on the left.

This combo should be good for low 13's to high 12's NA. I have been considering not siamesing the intake and going with a cam with a lower power range just to keep with the stock 3.27 gears. By the time the engine comes apart I will have decided what operating range the engine will run at.

------------------
Mike L.

1987 IROC Z 5.7 TPI A4 3.27 Borg-Warner four wheel disc
Mods:
2300-2500 Stall Converter, Shift Kit(GM parts), TPI Specialties Stage 3 PROM, Modified airbox w/ K&N's, Relocated MAT sensor, Gutted MAF, 160* thermostat, MSD 6A, Accel 8mm Wires, bypassed TB coolant, 3" Flowmaster 3 chamber single outlet, custom adjustable cutout, 3" MAC mandrel intermediate, airfoil, ported plenum. !smog, Crane AFPR, Accel rail mounted FP gauge, Harlan shiftlite, 24lb. injectors, Hedman headers, a few others I forgot...??? FINALLY GOT PAINT!!

Check out my IROC webpage!
Old 07-19-2002, 01:54 PM

Mike and Dan,

Mike: I don't seriously see a low 13 or high 12 with that combo. My combo only ran a 14.4 (without tuning, though) and you know what all I did. Its in the sig if you don't remember. I would need an additional 100 hp to reach low 13's or 12's. No way heads and a modified TPI would get me there for cheap. Just a heads up I guess, although there have been guys to do it. I dunno, I guess I just don't see it happening. But if you do accomplish this feat, I want ALL THE SPECS!

Dan, the reason for the Vortec heads and TPI manifold mismatch I believe was that the bolt pattern was different and there wasn't enough meat on the OEM TPI base to mate them.

I am still looking into the Stealth Ram intake though. Can't beat the gains for only $450.
Old 07-20-2002, 05:08 AM

Exclamation

guys,
Check out the last issue of GM High Tech Performance magazine. They had a very comprehensive article about Vortec heads on a TPI engine. A must read if you are contemplating this swap.
Maybe it's also on they're online mag?

------------------
Al
Blue Green Chameleon 2000 Formula
Hardtop, A4, 3.23
Yank ST3500, TransGo, & cooler
FRA, Direct Flo/K&N, EGR bobbitt,
!TB coolant, Just Me Thermo mod
SLP resonator exhaust, ES tranny mount
Home Boxed LCAs/ES bushings, LCA relocators
Best 60' 1.762
Best 1/8 8.106 @ 86.45
Best 1/4 12.704 @ 106.68
Best Mph 109.72 with a tail wind
and her
Black '98 SS# 590 M6
T-tops, Leather, Loaded
Old 07-20-2002, 06:24 AM

Unhappy

bummer on the results RedIrocZ-28, did you do the whole head and cam package? I cant believe your still at mid 14's, Im there and I have not done that much. Also how much did the conversion kit cost????? Anyway thanks for the info.

dan

Old 07-20-2002, 10:22 AM

You guys must be doing something wrong... not to flame you or anything, but we all have the same engines in the same weighted cars with many variations in mods. I have very little as far as real mods, but I still turn a mid 14 with a bad trans. I know theres a low 14 or maybe a high 13 in it with the trans fixed

But my point is what works for some doesn't work as well for another person/car. I will personally guarantee that my combo, when done will pull off a low 13 NA. The whole idea of this combo is to use it as an example for my buddies work and try and sell it to customers as a package. If it doesn't do what I say it will then he and I have wasted a lot of time and money, and I can assure you that neither are going to happen

Have you been following the Vortec headed build-ups, Brad? If not you don't know what you're missing.

------------------
Mike L.

1987 IROC Z 5.7 TPI A4 3.27 Borg-Warner four wheel disc
Mods:
2300-2500 Stall Converter, Shift Kit(GM parts), TPI Specialties Stage 3 PROM, Modified airbox w/ K&N's, Relocated MAT sensor, Gutted MAF, 160* thermostat, MSD 6A, Accel 8mm Wires, bypassed TB coolant, 3" Flowmaster 3 chamber single outlet, custom adjustable cutout, 3" MAC mandrel intermediate, airfoil, ported plenum. !smog, Crane AFPR, Accel rail mounted FP gauge, Harlan shiftlite, 24lb. injectors, Hedman headers, a few others I forgot...??? FINALLY GOT PAINT!!

Check out my IROC webpage!
Old 07-20-2002, 01:06 PM

No actually I haven't been following the Vortec heads buildups recently. I guess I am missing out. The thing about my mid 14's still is that I had to let off the gas a couple times each run and I also found out my trans is about to kick the bucket. The 2-3 shift induces a clatter which I thought was from the engine but its actually tranny related (Thats why I let off the gas 3-4 times each run in 3rd gear alone! 1st gear I had to let off so it would shift with the 87 Vette chip in it). The bands are slipping a little and are heavily worn. It has almost 150,000 on it behind my 350 and now my ~280hp ( ) motor. It will get better with tuning. I guarantee a 13.9 with this motor. All I want is 12.99 out of this car when is all said and done. That will be a few years off.

If you guys find the link to the Vortec heads buildup post it please. I would like to see the articles.

Mike, Prove it man! I wanna see your combo work. Keep tabs on what you bought and did. If you do get to a low 13 I wanna do a similar setup. I have faith in you bruddah
Old 07-20-2002, 01:08 PM

I keep forgetting to post my sig. Here it is for ya dansam. Stock heads and TPI for now BTW.

------------------
-Brad C?
355ci '89 Iroc-Z Red, T-tops, power everything, A4,New 10 bolt w/ 3.73's
Trans-Go shift kit Corvette Servo,Accel 8.8mm wires,Flowmaster 80 series ,K&N's, !MAF Screens, Hollowed out airboxes,homemade Subframes. Kieth Black pistons 10.3:1, Comp Cams 270H (.495/.502 218*/224* 110*LSA) & valve springs, SLP 1 3/4" headers, TCI 2400 stall, Dual Roller timing chain, 2 3/4" I-pipe.
Full street trim best run:14.799/mph:93/60': 2.02 (last year) New Times to come.
New times: 14.423 @ 96.11 mph with a 2.08 60' (On stock programming)

Pics of the Iroc
Old 07-20-2002, 01:10 PM

Red face

Definately pick up some of the more recent Chevy magazines. There are more Vortec headed engine dyno articles than you can shake a stick at. Some make 350 HP, some make 450hp...

I'm sure with an afermarket intake, those heads, a ZZ4 or Hotcam, 1-5/8" headers, gears, converer, exhaust, i'm sure it would go high 12's with th right tuning. It's been done before many times by the guys who plan everythin out and do it right. Traction is a big part of it too. I'd invest in some stickier footware and a Torque Arm from Spohn Goodluck