LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Clicking/ticking sound...

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 09:12 AM

Clicking/ticking sound...

I have a clicking sound comming from the driver side of my motor...It sounds like it could be a rocker or something...OK, so I have a couple questions. 1: Is it safe to drive with it doing that? It's not super loud but definitely noticeable. 2: Do you guys think there is just something that is a little loose under the valve cover? I've heard these motors have a tendency to have some excessive valvetrain noise but at the same time there is none of that noise from the passenger side so something must be up...Basically if there is a problem all I figure I should have to do is pull the valve cover off and torque down the rocker arm nut...I don't think it could be anything really serious because the car only has 32k on it...

If in fact there is something wrong and I have to go in there, you guys think it would be a good time to get new springs, rockers and whatever else would be needed, (BTW, what else would be good to get?)...Would it be a reasonably easy install with the motor still in the car or should I just wait to pull the motor to do that? Thanks for the help

Well, I just went out and listened again...Both sides definetly have a clicking noise from the valve train but it is louder on the left...I guess what I need to know is how loud is too loud?

Last edited by slayerxxx213; 05-17-2006 at 10:12 AM.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:41 AM

Re: Clicking/ticking sound...

several threads about this topic. search for "adjusting zero lash" or "rocker arm adjustment" or anything along those lines. you definitely do not want to just torque down the rocker nut, you have to set them to zero lash. go to shoebox's website www.shbox.com and find their way for setting zero lash if you can't find them on here. shoebox has awesome information whenever you need to fix something on your f-body

-Chris
Old 05-17-2006, 12:32 PM

Hey, thanks alot for the heads up...You may have prevented me from doing something really dumb
Old 05-18-2006, 08:00 PM

check for a loose spark plug
Old 05-19-2006, 11:38 PM

Well, I have no idea if this is a related issue but I just got home about 10 minutes ago and just as I was pullin' into my driveway the SES light came on...I'm feeling slightly worried about it but, do you guys think that it could be from my cai and exhaust? The car is running perfectly normal so Im not really sure what's up...The only thing that is of any concern is that it sometimes idles a little high for a couple seconds after I let off the throttle. Either way, doesn't Pep Boys rent scanners to read the code?

Could it also be possible that the stock knock module is being bothered by the louder exhaust?

Last edited by slayerxxx213; 05-19-2006 at 11:50 PM.
Old 05-19-2006, 11:51 PM

My Camaro was ticking for quite a while, I adjusted the rockers a couple of times and it would not go away. I pulled the intake a couple of days ago and found one of the lifters had a bad flat spot. Time to replace cam and lifters. I about pooped when I pulled the intake. I don't think that the previous owner ever changed the oil. There was goop built up about a 1/4 inch thick on the bottom side of the intake manifold. It was nasty.