LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Car wants to die at an idle??

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2004, 11:14 PM

Angry Car wants to die at an idle??

well the problem is like this..... when i first start my car and let it idle the rpms drop down to 500-600 rpms and has a very long lobe like a huge cam.... now i have a cam but its never sounded like this.... it almost dies on me when going into reverse.... it will die unless i give it gas a little.... then after letting it sit a while the check engine light will come on..... idles rough after that then i give it gas for like 30 secs and check engine light goes off..... idles fine for a minute or two and then idles like crap again and check engine light comes on.... well check engine light doesn't always come on but my car dies on me at least once or twice a day now..... i am having other overheating issues with the car i believe cause by a bad head gasket.... i also have a bad header gasket on the passenger side....... now my car want so to die on me when at an idle? it has never done this before, anyone have any ideas on what it sounds like let me know...... kinda sounds like not enough fuel is being delievered so that's why when i push the gas the check engine light goes off..... ??? who knows... i'm no mechanic so let me know what you think.... thanks..

Justin
Old 08-06-2004, 12:01 AM

Re: Car wants to die at an idle??

Check both of your fuel filters, they might be gumed up somewhere. One should be located underneath your car connected to the fuel lines, and the other is inside your gas tank. Also check your EGR valve, it might have alot of carbon deposits in it causing your car to sputter and not idle correctly.
Old 08-06-2004, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by teedoff59
well the problem is like this..... when i first start my car and let it idle the rpms drop down to 500-600 rpms and has a very long lobe like a huge cam.... now i have a cam but its never sounded like this.... it almost dies on me when going into reverse.... it will die unless i give it gas a little.... then after letting it sit a while the check engine light will come on..... idles rough after that then i give it gas for like 30 secs and check engine light goes off..... idles fine for a minute or two and then idles like crap again and check engine light comes on.... well check engine light doesn't always come on but my car dies on me at least once or twice a day now..... i am having other overheating issues with the car i believe cause by a bad head gasket.... i also have a bad header gasket on the passenger side....... now my car want so to die on me when at an idle? it has never done this before, anyone have any ideas on what it sounds like let me know...... kinda sounds like not enough fuel is being delievered so that's why when i push the gas the check engine light goes off..... ??? who knows... i'm no mechanic so let me know what you think.... thanks..

Justin
do you have an aftermarket throttle body? If you do, I know exactly how to fix your problem, if you don't then I can't be of much help other than guessing you may have a bad IAC. after my cam swap, I had and aftermarket TB and the IAC passage on it was waaay to small and I had to "give it gas" at idle to keep it from dying cause it needed more air to run.
Old 08-06-2004, 02:39 PM
Administrator

1. Get it scanned, so you don't have to guess why the SES light is on.

2. If you feel its a fuel related problem, check the fuel pressure.

3. While the scanner is on it, check how the PCM responds to the rough idle, as far as how it tries to adjust the IAC motor - what are the IAC counts?

4. If you know you have a head gasket problem, and also a header gasket leak, you may be damaging the engine. How do you know you have a head gasket problem? Any chance you are leaking coolant into the oil? A header gasket leak, if its bad enough, can burn valves, or as a minimum throw the O2 sensors so far off that the engine runs excessively rich.

5. Have you tried forcing the EGR valve open at idle to see if it makes the idle worse (valve is probably OK), or stays the same (valve could be causing the problem).

You've got a lot going on, and you're ignoring known problems. That just make the issues harder to sort out.