LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Car stopped accelerating, oil pressure dropped, now car won't start?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 08:47 PM

Car stopped accelerating, oil pressure dropped, now car won't start?

I was driving on the highway, went about 3 miles when i pressed the gas pedal and the car didn't go anywhere, rpms didnt go up and it seemed like the car was trying to rev but didn't go anywhere.

Then i down shifted and the car rpms went up but then i hit the gas and again, nothing happened.

Pulled over to the side of the road, oil pressure dropped to zero. stopped the car, now it won't start.

Could it be fuel related. Car turns over and i tried 2 batteries, still couldnt' get the car to turn on.

Shop is going to check fuel pressure, but I just got a new racetronix fuel pump installed 3 weeks ago with new 42# fuel injectors and the racetronix harness.

just trying to figure out what the problem could be. Any help is appreciated.

Ive also started having some smoke coming out of the exhaust, not sure which color yet, maybe a slight blue or white, i was still trying to figure it out.

Does it seem like a fuel related problem?

any help appreciated.

thanks
Z
Old 09-26-2005, 09:29 PM

Re: Car stopped accelerating, oil pressure dropped, now car won't start?

seems like it could be fuel related

i do remember the same exact thing happened to me when i just replaced my pump and the main feed line inside the tank came lose, the car died and wouldnt start

teh fact that ur rpms went up is b/cu dropped gear revving teh engine but no power (basically the engine was still rotating) at least thats what happened to me

first u need to c if u actually getting fuel, get ur pressure checked, then c if u have spark,
Old 09-26-2005, 11:19 PM

yeah, the shop is checking the fuel pressure tomorrow since i got the car to the shop late today, and ill have them figure it out, if its something like the fuel line getting loose, it should be easy to fix since they used the trap door method to fix a problem with it once already when the fuel float was stuck.

and ill check the spark and opti and everything else too when i get the chance.

thanks
Old 09-27-2005, 07:24 PM

so the shop just informed me that there is plenty of fuel pressure, and that they are getting spark.

I did have some smoke coming from the exhaust which was one reason i was headed to the shop before the car broke down, not sure if it was blue or not but i believe it was.

Shop is about to do a leak down test to see what the problem might be, wondering if anyone else might know what it is now that fuel and ignition seem to be ok.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:34 AM

The first thing I would have done after seeing it had spark would be to squirt fuel in the intake and crank it over. After the they do the leak down, if good, they should check for injector pulses. If compression is good, and fuel is present and spark, the only explanation is spark timing is wrong. I don't know why but I feel checking the basics will find a major problem. Like a broken cam shaft.

Since the problem, has anyone looked at the dipstick?
Old 09-28-2005, 11:40 AM

the oil pressure dropping to zero doesn't exactly sound good. It may be internal. Good luck I hope it is something simple.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:08 AM

i have had an oil leak which was pretty major out of the gaskets around the opti and the water pump area.

Im pretty sure oil was getting over everything but the shop checked it out and they said the motor was still breaking in and should go away after a couple thousand miles, i think that was bs though.

could it be the oil leak that messed up the opti, would that cause the accelerating problem while i was driving and now the car not starting?

The guy at the shop said oil on the distributor wouldn't affect it at all, it would probably lubricate it, i guess that is more bs since other members on this board have said they have gone through opti's because of oil leaking onto/into them.

just trying to figure out the problem, the shop is doing a leak down test and compression test on the cylinders tomorrow, if those are fine, they said it is probably most likely the distributor.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:02 AM

get a new shop
Old 09-29-2005, 03:45 AM

just my two cents, but it sounds more internal to me, does it sound like the motor spins freely or does it struggle to turn over?
Old 09-29-2005, 02:42 PM

well i just called the shop today, and the guy said compression was fine, and that there wasn't much spark, so i told him that they should probably replace the opti since the oil leak they thought wasn't that big of a deal and would go away probably caused the opti to go out.

im going by there tomorrow to see if that may be the issue, anyways, i told them they need to replace the gaskets/seals right there up front around the timing cover and opti to make sure the oil leak goes away, and they will probably have to get me another opti.

let me know if someone thinks it might be something else and not the opti, but the guy at the shop said there wasn't much spark, but the day before he said spark and fuel pressure were fine, im regretting going to this shop in the first place.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:24 PM

i'm gonna say its probably not your opti unless its dumping lots of oil all over it. A light film probably isn't gonna effect it.
Old 09-29-2005, 07:19 PM

it dumps a lot of oil, maybe .5 quart every time i drive it, or close to it anyways. Has leak spots all over the floor from when it leaks as i drive and it gets over everything.

lots of oil coming from the seals, and shop says they aren't getting spark, so im not sure what else to assume.

All new spark plugs, new wires, new coil, msd 6al unit, have 2 batteries in the car, high output alt, i don't see how it would just stop accelerating on the road if one wire or spark plug went bad, and why it won't turn on.

im assuming it is probably the opti, at least im hoping since i know a lot of oil is getting onto it, and other have said they have gone through optis because of this oil leaking onto/into the opti.

if anyone can point at a few other things to look at also, id appreciate it, going to the shop tomorrow to mess around and try to figure out what is wrong.
Old 09-30-2005, 07:23 PM

found out the distributor literally blew up into pieces on the inside. Seemed like it did a big spark since there were a few burn marks on the inside and there were broken pieces all over.
Old 09-30-2005, 07:30 PM

for the opti to blow up, sounds like the camshaft pin is wrong.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by v8pwrdz28
for the opti to blow up, sounds like the camshaft pin is wrong.
Ditto it sounds like the cam pin length wasn't checked.