LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Car doesn't start, just clicks...???

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 09:20 PM

Re: Car doesn't start, just clicks...???

If you can bang on the starter and it turns over, you need a new starter.
Old 06-24-2019, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by BTC
Assuming no other issues, perhaps the new starter is bad. The fact that it turns over when you bang on it leads me to believe there is an issue with the starter. You can bench test it to see if the motor is bad.. I would probably want to make sure the battery is good before taking the starter off the car etc.

How long has it been since your car ran?

My car fully ran with the new starter and battery on around 2 weeks ago, but it was never consistent. It would start every once and a while. It could be possible the new starter has a defect! The motor is good, just recently we have been having this problem. Everything is new so I can’t figure out why it won’t fire up consistently. Could it be a fuse or relay? Bc the wiring has been fixed.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:28 PM
Administrator

How would banging on the starter intermittently repair “a fuse or a relay”? Unless you're banging on it with an 8# sledge and rocking the whole car.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:54 PM

I know the starter needs replacing, but what I was asking is there any fuses or relays that could make the not wanna turn over? Thanks for the advice.
Old 06-25-2019, 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by MyShibbyZ28
Sorry mods if this is in the wrong spot but i didn't find an "ignition" specific area.

Anywho, when i go to start the car, it will just click. The solenoid in the starter (i think) isn't getting good enough contact and just "clicking". I have to turn the key back and forth between the "on" position and "start" position kind of fast before it'll start. I have to do this maybe anywhere's from 5-30 times before it'll engage and start. It has no starting problems once it starts turning over, it's just the actual engaging that's doing it. I just got done taking out my starter (which was fun) and cleaning the living crud out of it. I took the actual starter motor off itself and then sprayed the whole gears and solenoid and everything with carb/choke cleaner until it was completely clean. Then lightly greased the gears again and put it back in there. but i still have the same darn problem as i did before It just clicks and doesn't turn over no matter how long i hold the key in the "start" position. If i don't let it prime it'll usually turn over right away 80% of the time, but it still wants to stop and click. I'm kind of lost now, help is really needed.

ShibbyZ
Though a common fix is to recharge the battery, I did that and my starter still clicked. I had my dad crank the car while I was underneath and the thing was sparking like a bastard! The solenoid was fried. I replaced the starter and the car fired up and has not had a problem since. I suppose I just had a bad remanufactured starter from the auto parts store...
Old 06-25-2019, 10:35 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Bret.worley
I know the starter needs replacing, but what I was asking is there any fuses or relays that could make the not wanna turn over? Thanks for the advice.
Confusing.... you said it does turn over (starter cranks engine) when you bang on the starter. That would seem to indicate 12 volts is reaching the starter solenoid on the purple wire.

Here's the starter schematic, courtesy of Shoebox. There is a (theft deterrent) relay that is interlocked with the PASS-Key (VATS) security system. There's also a switch that prevents the circuit from engaging the starter unless the clutch pedal is on the floor (M6 trans) or the shifter is in park or neutral (A4 trans). And, the ignition switch has been known to fail on these 25 year old cars.

http://shbox.com/1/starter_charging_95.jpg