LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

car cranks but wont start

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 08:58 PM

Re: car cranks but wont start

So the kid I bought it from Swapped the motor and put a ls1 motor in it I will check the ground and make sure everything is tightened down should I put dialectic grease on backing of module thought I read something about that just so frustrated want this car running personally think it's pushing back to the opti again might have to just order a more promising opti
Old 02-16-2018, 11:55 PM
Administrator

If it has an LS1 swap, nothing in this thread applies to the LS1 engine. They are radically different. It wouldn't have any of the components discussed here - ICM, single coil, Opti, etc.

https://www.google.com/search?client...8ltfyt0s69vbM:

The LT1, LT4, and L99 are the only GM engines that have an Optispark distributor.

Last edited by Injuneer; 02-16-2018 at 11:58 PM.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:36 PM

Injuneer it is a lt1 I tighten all the grounds retested everything step by step on shbox site all my readings are on point from opti harness to icm to coil test lighted every fuse cranked car still no spark but getting 2 3 on meter to icm harness but watching tach still not jumping also would think opti good right? Could it be possible even tho getting reading of 3 volts on coil that might still be bad coil
Old 02-18-2018, 09:05 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Nightrider1984
I'm new to this site I'm having the same exact problem bought my 97 ls1 camaro off somebody......
So the kid I bought it from Swapped the motor and put a ls1 motor in it.........
Injuneer it is a lt1 .......
You're not making this easy.

......getting 2 3 on meter to icm harness but watching tach still not jumping also would think opti good right? Could it be possible even tho getting reading of 3 volts on coil that might still be bad coil
Confusing.... you ARE getting 2 to 3 volts on the white wire from the PCM to the ICM? And then you checked the coil and you are "getting a reading of 3 volts on coil"? Where on the coil? You need 12 volts on both sides of the coil primary.

Coil continuity check, per Shoebox:

http://shbox.com/1/coil_testing.jpg
Old 02-18-2018, 09:39 PM

I'm sorry injuneer never got correct info from these guys but yes it's a lt1 motor to start now as for coil I took it out and tested the resistance I'm getting 1.3 on primary and 6.5 on secondary so I'm on the money in the Chilton book..and yes when I unplugged the icm harness tested the white wire and when cranking I get 2 to 3 volts on meter I'm not seeing tach needle jump
Old 02-19-2018, 02:09 PM
Administrator

You might want to read and follow the Shoebox info I have given you links to. His info is based on extensive hands-on disassembly, assembly, testing and repairs specifically on the LT1 engine. Is is considered by many (including myself) to be the "bible" for the LT1. Much more reliable than a Chilton's.

Alternatively, you can do a free download of the factory service manual for your car, courtesy of GaryDoug. It's 1996, but is virtually identical to your 1997.

https://www.mediafire.com/?40mfgeoe4ctti

And you have to answer the questions...... can't help you if you don't:

And then you checked the coil and you are "getting a reading of 3 volts on coil" (your exact words)? Where on the coil? You need 12 volts on both sides of the coil primary.
Old 02-19-2018, 06:41 PM

I gotcha ya I'm getting a reading of 8.25 on both sides
Old 02-19-2018, 08:23 PM

Injuneer wanna thank you for your help found the problem the opti harness was no good the put a new one on fired right up!!!!(
Old 02-21-2018, 08:36 PM

Ok so I'm having some issues when I changed the opti harness ran good no issues now I crank a few times fires up but really rough backfires sputter ...will barely run for a few unless I tap hit the gas than if let off will cut off...ran code reader had no codes now after cranking it a few time and running the car got the code p1371 again.. I hear delete code remove pcm fuse see if comes back also should I check for other things like iac or maybe a vacuum if it ain't one things it's another... has new fuel filter o2 sensors maf sensor tps sensor besides what I told in earlier post icm coil opti plugs wires...
Old 02-21-2018, 09:04 PM

Also weird is when key completely off than start car has power can rev up than starts to sputter gas pedal bogs down than will cut off than if key is in just the on position to just to start again will kick over and when hit the gas to rev it up complete bog no gas cuts right off and in last post vacuum leaks should I check for I meant to say feels like a air fuel problem but not a mechanic lol
Old 02-21-2018, 09:06 PM

Also forgot to mention when I got the car they deleted the egr not sure if that could cause something
Old 02-22-2018, 12:36 PM

I think you should start a new thread related to your car, rather than riding this one. The code you indicate points to the optispark, see this.

It is also really hard to follow what you are talking about. Could you break down steps you have taken, parts replaced, and tests you have run? It feels like we are talking about one subject, then you jump to troubleshooting something else that is unrelated.
Old 02-22-2018, 03:09 PM

OK I'll start a new one
Old 09-14-2023, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Read the first paragraph in post #9.... the crank position (CKP) sensor has nothing to do with running the engine.

If you have a pulse signal on the white wire from the PCM to the ICM (not the coil), it proves the PCM is getting the required low resolution pulse signal from the Opti.

4th Gen LT1 F-body Tech Articles

How is the ground connection at the stud on the head that the ICM/coil bracket bolts to?

Where did you check for spark - at the plugs, at the coil, both?

What brand is the Opti?

If the cause of no start was lack of low resolution pulse from the Opti, if you extended the cranking to continuous 15-20 seconds, the PCM will set code P1371, and you should be able to pull it. Does the tach jump up two or three hundred RPM when you are cranking the engine?

What does the SECURITY light do when you are cranking the engine?
Will fuel pump cut in if there’s a problem with opti
Old 09-14-2023, 10:49 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by newfee
Will fuel pump cut in if there’s a problem with opti
I'm assuming you mean "will the fuel pump run if there's a problem with the opti?"

When you turn the key to "RUN" the fuel pump should run (whether there is a problem or not) for two seconds, then shut off. If you continue and turn the key to "START" the fuel pump will not restart until the PCM sees the low resolution pulse signal from the optical cam position sensor in the Opti.

To check the fuel pump directly, to see if it is working (without turning the key), apply 12 volt power to the "Fuel Pump Prime Connector" under the hood near the PCM (note on 1996/97 the wire for connector is red):

http://shbox.com/1/fuel_pump_prime.jpg

To check if the PCM is receiving the low resolution pulse form the Opti:

- does the tach needle move up a couple hundred RPM when the starter is cranking the engine?

- test the white wire from the PCM to the ICM per Shoebox's procedure:

4th Gen LT1 F-body Tech Articles