LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Canton Pan and low oil level bung?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 03:19 PM

Canton Pan and low oil level bung?

Purchased a 242t Canton road race pan, and noticed the low oil level bung is sealed. There appears to be the start of a drill mark where one would have drilled out the hole, then tapped it.

Is it normal for these pans to not have the threaded provision for the sensor?
Old 03-28-2006, 04:37 PM

Re: Canton Pan and low oil level bung?

Thats weird. It should have the bung in there. You may be lucky though. Do you have long tubes? If so, you may need the get rid of the low oil level sensor anyway. I had to and I couldn't find a plug of that thread type anywhere. I had to make my own out of the original level sensor and come creative welding, then tie the 2 wires of the oil sensor plug together so you don't get a light. Unless your lazy on the oil checking, you probably wouldn't need it anyway. I've never seen the light in 10 years, so it didn't destroy me to get rid of it.

Ken R.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:38 PM

yeah, it is supposed to have it, cuz I have called canton about that pan. I will be getting it soon, so I was finding everything out on it. So, the guy who made your pan must have been drinking heavily the night before. Also, as a side note, Canton pushed that side of the pan away from the headers, so you could run the sensor. Its not really needed, but you could retain its functionality as they moved it becuase the feedback they got was the original design sucked.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:39 AM

I should clarify this. There IS a bung... however it isn't drilled and tapped for the sensor. It was like they left it there covered up, and not drilled assuming I didn't need it.

It is odd, because it shows the markings of somebody beginning to drill a hole through it. Oddly enough, I tap it with my hand, and it sounds "hollow", as if it isn't watertight.

Is there a way to test the pan before installing it. I'm assuming it is aluminum so I can fill it with water, but I don't want to disturb any parts that are not aluminum and cause it to rust (like the trap door springs).

Thoughts???
Old 03-30-2006, 10:55 AM

My 242t pan came with the low oil level sensor bung tapped and ready to thread the sensor in. I'm using Hooker long tubes, and though it's tight I can still use the sensor. I've never heard of a 242t not coming ready for the sensor.

You could fill it with water to make sure it won't leak. I'd just get as much water out as I could afterwords, and spray some WD40 on it if you are worried about rust.