Midwest Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, and Wisconsin

CONTEMPLATING selling my project car - '96 SS - 396 - Need advice/inquiries

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2002, 10:13 AM
Admin Emeritus

Unhappy CONTEMPLATING selling my project car - '96 SS - 396 - Need advice/inquiries

Well, I hate to say it, but I am at a point to where I may still not be able to finish my project this year, and I am about ready to give it up and maybe move on to something else. Just thinking of it really sucks, but that is why I am only contemplating it.

I am just wondering if anyone would be interested in any of this. If so, please e-mail me or post with a decent reply. Even if you are not interested, I am asking for ideas as to what I should ask for this., so if you know, feel free to e-mail me. Any advice is appreciated.

I don't know if this is gonna happen, but I just want to get an idea of what I can get out of all this if I do decide to move on.

Engine:
396 by Nu-Tek Motorsports, assembled by Detroit Speedworks
Callies Crank and Rods
Canfield ported heads
Custom grind cam
Diamond Racing Pistons
LT1 Intake - chrome ceramic coated by Paul Barry - hollowed out to accept Monoblade
Canton Oil Pan
Comp Cams 1.6 rockers
Custom aluminum valve covers

Engine can be seen here, but is shown before Intake was prepped for monoblade:
http://www.detroitspeedworks.com/news.html

Engine never fired, awaiting installation

Other items:
Hooker Long Tubes coated by Paul Barry new, never installed
Mufflex 4" system w/custom tips (looks like an SLP "2 on da left" but slightly bigger tips), new never installed
McLoed Street Twin with Aluminum Flywheel, new in box
AS&M Monoblade TB, new never installed

Car:
1996 Camaro SS #259
No engine or trans
21,000 miles
Agostino Tubular K-member w/A-arms
Leather Interior in VG to Excellent shape
T-tops
Bose CD player w/5 speaker system
White faced gauges
Tinted windows
All Interior pieces intact, no damage, all in excellent shape
Hotchkis Lower Control Arms
SLP level II suspension (part of SS pkg)
Former show winner
Paint in great shape, only a couple of very minor nicks and scuff that can be very easily fixed
Some of you know the car and how **** I was about it.

Only serious modification is BMR SFC's and K-member/A-arms as mentioned above. SFC's are new, they were welded on but never driven while on/since installed.

There might be another couple of details I might be forgetting, but you get the idea.

So what does everyone think?

------------------
Jason Debler - Webmaster/Editor
CamaroZ28.Com * TurboBuick.Com * ChasingStanley.Com
1996 Camaro SS #259 - Project 396 in the works
Old 07-26-2002, 10:45 AM
Admin Emeritus

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by robvas:
Why can't you finish it?</font>
Need a litle bit more money and a lot more time.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Could you finish it in any shape or form, even if it wasn't the way you originally planned or hoped?
</font>
Well, it is on 3 years since this project of mine has started. I would just be sick if I let it go to 4 years. I just can't seem to get it done. I have plans, but they could easily fall through.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Whats the next project going to be?
</font>
I don't know yet. Something simpler. Something that I can actually drive instead of wishing I could drive.

------------------
Old 07-26-2002, 11:24 AM

Talking

Being the unemployeed guy that I am... I'll be willing to work on it for you. That is if you trust a guy like me to wrench on your car

We'll talk this weekend!! I'll get that fire under your butt lite

Steve
Old 07-26-2002, 03:20 PM

Cool

What kind of dollar figure are you trying to get out of it, I know a couple guys that are interested.

------------------
GREG
2002 NBM Z28 Loaded, SLP LT's, ATR catback, Lid
******Boycott Lapeer Dragway******
Old 07-26-2002, 03:36 PM
Admin Emeritus

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BISHOP:
What kind of dollar figure are you trying to get out of it, I know a couple guys that are interested.
</font>
That's the thing, I have no idea what it would be worth at this stage.

I am willing to work a deal that makes eveyone happy but not one that I walk away from saying "Gee, I really f_cked myself that time.".

------------------
Old 07-26-2002, 08:26 PM

Jason,

All good things take time. You are really close. Finish it no matter how long it takes.

Louie
Old 07-26-2002, 10:43 PM

Location: Windsor, Canada: Home of the FASTEST LT1 & LS1 6 spds :)
hang in there man!!! just hang in there and finish it up, it will be worth the wait! i know it has beeen a long time but keep in mind you are almost complete.
Old 07-26-2002, 11:28 PM

Neglect..abandonment...abortion almost!

This is almost like having sex, waiting for a newborn, then JUST before it's here, ya sell it. W T F? Hang in there man. It needs to be driven by you first. THEN deal with it however you want. Rule of the car guy I didn't write it. Later man

------------------
Denny Villemure
1989 Camaro IROC-Z Convertible, 305 TPI, 2.73 Gear, Flowmaster 2 chamber. 15.60 on motor, 14.20 on a 75 shot from NX. Woo hoo!
www.denny.cz28.com
Old 07-26-2002, 11:55 PM

I think that you should try and finish it, you've already but this much time into it. Even if you do get the dollar amount out of it that you want (that is if you sell it) your still going to be saying you got f_cked. But if not I am VERY I repeat VERY interested.

------------------
~Rich
95 Arctic White Z~28
Old 07-27-2002, 12:52 AM

If you sell you will kick yourself down the road.It has happened to me twice now. IMO you should finish it and I think you will be happy with the end results.Good luck and get your @ZZ out to the garage and git to work.
Old 07-27-2002, 05:20 AM
Eternal Member

Thumbs up

Jason You have wanted this for years. You have planed,done without and dreamed about this. What is another year. I know it's hard and you are tired of waiting but think how happy you will be once it's done. Look at the people who have taken 5 to ten years to build a car in the mags. If you want to do it right it takes time.
If you can't wait why not put the engine in and do the supercharge and fuel system later. It won't be as fast but they are not that big a deal to install next year. Besides everyone you know has been waiting along with you to see you get it done. You could allways sell eticket rides to make some money up when it's done.j/k Hang in there just my .02 Were all pulling for you.

------------------
87 IROC L98 700R4 A few mods. Best et 12.96 at 110 mph
All motor No NOS or Supercharger.
96 WS6 FORMULA Best et 13.5 at 105 mph
Old 07-27-2002, 08:11 AM

Jay,

You sell this car and ill kick the living crap out of you

------------------
DaveD
1998 WS6 #207
-ARE Stage II Head/Cam
1998 Regal GS
-It Has Boost

The Phantom of CamaroZ28.com
Http://PhantomTA.cz28.com
Old 07-27-2002, 09:25 AM
Admin Emeritus

Installation is not the real problem, because I am having the cool guys at Detroit Speedworks handle that.

The issue comes down to money. I sunk a lot of cash into what I have now, and I am frankly out of cash. In fact, I haven't bought a thing for the car in about a year. I just can't.

I need a Fel-Pro (or equivalent), a cage, a 12 bolt, injectors, and a bunch of miscellaneous parts.
Total that up and we are talking at least 4-5 grand. I have no idea where that money will ever come from.

I don't want to sell it, but it sucks driving around in my Jeep on a Saturday night when everyone else has their cars out, especially living so close to Gratiot. Waaah!

I don't know if I will get any offers that I can feel comfortable with, but I wanted to throw it out there and see. If I get an offer that makes me comfortable I will take it from there.

Where was my brain?

------------------

[This message has been edited by JasonD (edited July 27, 2002).]
Old 07-27-2002, 10:50 AM
Eternal Member

Jason There is a guy on the Motown Muscle board name Aaron. He has some monster Monte that I hear runs in the 8.0 range. Talk to him and see if he knows someone with some used parts. Also if you can get the measurement on a cage and the tubing I can weld you a Cage. I was a welder for 2 years for Chrysler corp. What ever I can do to help short of money. Because I don't have any after not working for 11 months. I know you will never forgive yourself if you sell the car.

------------------
87 IROC L98 700R4 A few mods. Best et 12.96 at 110 mph
All motor No NOS or Supercharger.
96 WS6 FORMULA Best et 13.5 at 105 mph
Old 07-27-2002, 11:09 AM

Lightbulb

Well, your probably not going to get much resale value from a car with no engine or trans. Maybe I'm wrong. Do you plan to sell the car as it is now? If you do, you'll probably be taking a financial loss. If you get any type of functional drivetrain in the car, it will command a higher selling price. Perhaps you could search around for a decent used/junkyard engine/trans combo and then sell the car and save the 396 motor for later. Just a thought, good luck.

Quick Reply: CONTEMPLATING selling my project car - '96 SS - 396 - Need advice/inquiries