LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

bumping up fuel pressure in regards to performance

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2004, 11:14 PM

Re: bumping up fuel pressure in regards to performance

Originally Posted by 97Z-M6
about 3000 . i need some more track time to get it right.

my 60s suck
if 1.84 sucks, I wish I sucked...

Old 11-26-2004, 11:37 PM
Administrator

OK.... try another approach.

Reference:

How To Understand, Service and Modify Corvette Fuel Injection & Electronic Engine Management, by Charles O. Probst.

This manual is authorized by GM, has a forward by Dave McLellan, Corvette Engineering Director. The manual carries a GM Part #12497977

Read Chapter 5 "Control Module - The Brain", Section 5 "Fuel Trim", Para. 5.2 subsection "Fuel Trim" (page 111):
During step-on-it acceleration, the computer strategy commands power enrichment, but it also freezes the STFT at 0%/128.
And, read Chapter 8, Section 3 "Open Loop", para. 3.3 "Acceleration Enrichment". (page 177)
.... During Acceleration Enrichment, the computer also makes the following adjustments:

-Short Term Fuel Trim drops to 0%. It is frozen so that there is no STFT effect on Long Term Fuel Trim (Block Learn).
Not sure what your continued reference to operating the PCM outside its parameters by forcing it into PE mode at idle proves. What "target" A/F ratio are you programming for? Why is this in any way relevant to WOT operation?

You are also incorrect on the PCM using Cell 15... It (generally, there are exceptions based on EEC operation) uses Cell 15 only if the PCM was "adding" fuel through the BLM's in that Cell. If it was cutting fuel, it will default to Cell 18 in many instances. Yes, it uses what it learns (Cell 15 or the algorithm calculated Cell 18) in closed loop to adjust the fueling in PE mode.... everyone knows that. But is also disables learning, and I have yet to see, in any scan that anyone has ever sent me, a non-128 value used in PE mode.

Last edited by Injuneer; 11-26-2004 at 11:41 PM.
Old 11-27-2004, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
OK.... try another approach.

Reference:

How To Understand, Service and Modify Corvette Fuel Injection & Electronic Engine Management, by Charles O. Probst.

This manual is authorized by GM, has a forward by Dave McLellan, Corvette Engineering Director. The manual carries a GM Part #12497977

Read Chapter 5 "Control Module - The Brain", Section 5 "Fuel Trim", Para. 5.2 subsection "Fuel Trim" (page 111):

And, read Chapter 8, Section 3 "Open Loop", para. 3.3 "Acceleration Enrichment". (page 177)

Not sure what your continued reference to operating the PCM outside its parameters by forcing it into PE mode at idle proves. What "target" A/F ratio are you programming for? Why is this in any way relevant to WOT operation?

You are also incorrect on the PCM using Cell 15... It (generally, there are exceptions based on EEC operation) uses Cell 15 only if the PCM was "adding" fuel through the BLM's in that Cell. If it was cutting fuel, it will default to Cell 18 in many instances. Yes, it uses what it learns (Cell 15 or the algorithm calculated Cell 18) in closed loop to adjust the fueling in PE mode.... everyone knows that. But is also disables learning, and I have yet to see, in any scan that anyone has ever sent me, a non-128 value used in PE mode.

thanks for the part # on the book i will pick it up.

here is a quote from another thread.

Originally Posted by bunker
No, decreasing timing will make the combustion chamber temps lower but increase header primary temp, trust me, try putting in 0* of advance & see how hot your headers will get, they'll start to glow because now when the exhaust valve opens the cumbstion is not yet over & will continue to burn in your exhaust because you fired the spark plug too late in the event.

Now, as for widebands, if I'm in closed loop & let the o2s do their job my LM1 will read 14.7 at idle, so I'm sure it has no problems reading my exhaust at idle, then again my idle is also at 1000rpm & I have an o2 bung welded after the Y-pipe where the LM1 o2 goes in, & when I run it in open loop & o2s are at 100mv or so then LM1 reads 18:1 A/F so I can go by that.

The other thing, I keep running into these problems if I want to tune idle for PE:

To me it doens't work, reason being is even though my BLM's are locked to 128 for WOT, at idle the STFT still work for some weird reason & they compensate, I can easily tell this because when I come to a stop my o2's will read 100mv for a bit & then all of the sudden they start jumping around again, I can see why because the STFT are correcting event though the LTFT is locked at 128, its easy to see cuz when I come to a stop the injector duty cycle hangs around 1.6 & the o2s at 100mv where I want them, then all of the sudden the o2s start jumping around & the injector duty cycle is back to 2.1 where it would hang out in normal closed loop aswell, & if I lean the PE table out more within a few seconds of comming to a stop the injector duty cycle will come back to 2.1 again, if I returne just normal closed loop & disable PE the injector cycle now no longer goes to 1.6 when I come to a stop & then 2.1 but it just goes to 2.1 right away & stays there, so no matter what, for me in closed loop I still get the darn correction taking place.

The other problem? this one is funny, when I come to a stop, for those few seconds that the injector duty cycle is at 1.6 & the o2s are at 100mv I get a DTC (fuel system lean) & engine light comes on, then injectors go to 2.1 & engine light goes away. My STFT go to 150 at that same time while the LTFT stay at 128.

Matt.
i have had the excact same thing happen to me.

oh crap it just dawned on me i dont think i have those scans anymore. i sold my laptop and bought another, maybe i have them on disk somewhere. ill look

the reason i refrence to wot is becasue the use of pe mode. if pe mode is enable at idle, doesnt the pcm reference the same tables under heavy load at say 6000 rpms.

im just saying if it is using the stft at idle in pe mode, wouldnt it use them at wot in pe mode (not that they would be of any use becasue of the short time in pe mode at wot).

im not trying to argue, im just stating my findings, thats all.
Old 11-27-2004, 03:48 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by 97Z-M6
im not trying to argue, im just stating my findings, thats all.
You sure fooled me. Believe whatever you want... its not that important in the big picture.