LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Best place to buy Borla??Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2003, 10:49 PM

Best place to buy Borla??Please help!

As the title reads, where's the best place to buy a Borla cat-back system(94-95)style? I found it for $589.00 at www.xcessive.com and tried to get Speed Inc. to price match it but they wouldn't. Do you think Thunder racing would? I'll be buying a lot of stuff from Thunder very shortly so I think they might help me out.
I'm also looking for shorty headers for my car(ceramic coated) with a y-pipe. What brand should I get and from where? I can get Mac's for $379.99 and get them coated for an extra $159.99 at Speed Inc. but I don't know who coats them for Speed Inc. and what kind of quality it is. I don't want to spend more than $600 on headers and I want shorties(ground clearence issues).
Thanks in advance guys,
Tyler
Old 03-27-2003, 11:15 PM

I've never asked Thunder to price match, so I don't know if they do that or not... but I've always been extremely impressed with their customer service. That is who I buy from even if I have to pay a few bucks more, simply because I know they will treat me right, not rape me on shipping, and are always very quick in getting me my parts.

Doesn't hurt to ask! Give it a shot!
Old 03-27-2003, 11:37 PM

It'd be interesting to see if Xcessive have the Borla in stock. I've never heard of them, to be honest, and I also agree with Thunder Racing superb customers service. Paul, Dave, and Angie rock!
Old 03-27-2003, 11:40 PM

yeah

Angie at Thunder Racing is very patient and always replies quickly to my e-mails. I will be ordering ovc wires, pro 5.0 shifter, eibach sportlines, and a mba shift **** from them probably on the 28th. I just hope that she can match the Borla! If she does, I will buy almost all of my parts through them!
Old 03-27-2003, 11:46 PM

$159.99 sounds like the price for coating for MAC's from Jet-Hot...I'd ask them though. I was going to order MAC's and then send them to Jet-Hot, but I wasn't getting exactly if it was going to work out with me direct shipping them to Jet-Hot to have them coated...ehh..if you get what I mean.

Then, I just found some MAC's on ebay right before I was going to place my order. I lucked out. =)
Old 03-28-2003, 12:35 AM

made a few e-mails!

Well, I e-mailed Thunder Racing, xcessive motorsports, and speed Inc. If speed Inc. can come close to the $589 figure that xcessive sells the Borla for, I'll order through them.
I'll let you know how it goes!
Old 03-28-2003, 02:38 AM

You may want to check pricing at Summit Racing. I used to work for a speed shop, and we did not even carry Borla. When I asked one of the purchasing guys why, he explained that it was because we could not come close to matching Summit's price. He said that Summit and Borla have a special vendor relationship, and Summit buys the cat-backs from Borla for a price WAY lower than any other vendors can. He also stated that Borla allows Summit to sell the cat-backs for a lower price than anyone else. In fact, when our company called Borla for distribution, we got such a bad offer that we decided not to carry them at all.
My understanding was that a purchase agreement with Borla meant that Borla set your retail selling price and did not allow you to deviate from it, hence Summit has the corner on the market. I honestly have not priced Borla kits in a very long time, and I don't know if Borla still uses the same policies for the companies that sell their products. However, I do recommend that you price-compare with Summit while your researching, they used to be the cheapest game in town by default.

-Chris
Old 03-28-2003, 08:05 AM

Talking

Screw that!!....Go to the Forsale section on this board and do a search, you will save a ton of money, buying from people that are selling thier stuff used. Borla exhaust is stainless steel so it wont rust, hence there is no reason Not to buy it used and save about 2-3 hundred bucks...

Great Example, I got a Set of COATED Grotyohann Longtubes with a Coated Y- PIpe that had 2 Random cats and the seller even threw in a set of new Felpro Header gaskets..All for 400 bucks....I priced this stuff out seperately and it would have cost me like 1300-1400 new with the coating and the random cats welded in.

Another Great Example, I also bought my Forged Bottom end 383 Motor from another Great seller, The motor (in parts and labor) was worth 5 Grand, and it had Zero miles on it, I paid a little over 2 Grand and gave the guy my old motor as a partial trade.

If I would have started out buying most of my parts in the Forsale section of this board, I would have had much fatter pockets right now

Buying Tips: Try to be aware of seller with very few post and always do searches on certain seller just to make sure you are buying from a person that you can trust.
Old 03-28-2003, 11:15 AM

Thunder Pulls through!

Angie from thunder Racing said she can get me the Borla for $589 and ship everything out today! All I can say is amazing service! I will order shortly, what do you guys think?
Old 03-28-2003, 11:56 AM

That's a good price!.. Thunder site says 659 for it..
How much is shipping tho?
I think Summit or Jeg's right now Borla is about 609-619 [plus their 'handling' of 8 bux]
Does Thunder beat that price total?

Last edited by Mtrhds94Z; 03-28-2003 at 12:00 PM.
Old 03-28-2003, 12:11 PM

Well, it's $589 plus shipping probably like $30 to Canada(where I live). So yeah, thunder does beat jegs and summits price but that system was price matched to www.xcessive.com and you have to ask for that price. Angie was very helpful and I highly recommend Thunder!
Ohh, and don't you have to pay the $8 plus shipping at Jegs or Summit? Maybe that's just to Canada but regardless, if you live in the states, I think Thunder is the way to go! They have great customer service, Speed Inc. just lost a sale!(by the way, I'm not ragging on Speed Inc but they wouldn't price match it!)

Last edited by CDN WS6; 03-28-2003 at 12:15 PM.
Old 03-28-2003, 01:23 PM

One of the many things I've always loved about Thunder,
They never rape you on shipping.
Old 03-28-2003, 01:37 PM

just get your parts from the for sale section. I got my coated SLP shorties from there for 300 and i got my borla from the forum for 275. I have less in my whole exhaust system then you will your catback.