LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Alternator wiring and stock guage panel removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 08:07 AM

Alternator wiring and stock guage panel removal

I am relocating my battery and installing a 4 pole master cut-off switch and I am not using the Stock guage cluster anymore. This project has been on hold too long. I need to figure this out now. Subject 94 LT1 Z28
I have a few questions about info I came across. I have read that when you are not using the stock guage cluster you need to find a certain wire and add it to a power source w/ a resistor. Was called "exciter wire" that energizes the alt. or tells it to start charging...which is it? Its associated with the dummy volts/charge light in the stock guage cluster? It was mentioned that the regulator will go out in short time if this is not done after the stock guages removal.

If this is something bonafide here are a few Qs. How do I find that wire? Any help there? Cant I find what wire it is at the plug of the stock guage cluster? By color? and splice it there to a power souce with a resistor?

Resistors I'm clueless. If I do need one cant someone help with what specific kind so the person at store I'm talking to knows what I need as in type/ohms/watts whatever, how to install???

Lets get this outa the way first before any other questions. If you can help please, I would really appreciate the insite.

T.