LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

95 LT1 auto won't crank, no start - please help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 04:18 PM

95 LT1 auto won't crank, no start - please help!

Hello,

My 95 automatic Z28 won't start up. When I put the key in and turn it I get all the dash lights and chimes, and I hear the fuel pump prime, but when I go to turn it over, I don't get anything - no click, no cranking, no noise at all.

The security light doesn't come on except for the initial test. I tried playing with the shifter and pulling out of park and putting it back in; no go. I've also tried disconnecting, cleaning, and reconnecting the battery terminals after leaving it disconnected for about 15 minutes.

The volt gauge is a little in the red with the key on.. the battery is less than a year old.

Can anyone give me ideas before I get reamed by a mechanic?

Thanks.
Old 06-27-2005, 04:46 PM

Re: 95 LT1 auto won't crank, no start - please help!

Originally Posted by 95Z28Maroon
Hello,

My 95 automatic Z28 won't start up. When I put the key in and turn it I get all the dash lights and chimes, and I hear the fuel pump prime, but when I go to turn it over, I don't get anything - no click, no cranking, no noise at all.

The security light doesn't come on except for the initial test. I tried playing with the shifter and pulling out of park and putting it back in; no go. I've also tried disconnecting, cleaning, and reconnecting the battery terminals after leaving it disconnected for about 15 minutes.

The volt gauge is a little in the red with the key on.. the battery is less than a year old.

Thanks.
HAd somthing like this happen turned out my starter was broken in half. "dont ask I still dont know."
Old 06-27-2005, 05:03 PM

Doesn't make any difference how old or young your battery is: if it isn't any good, you are wasting your time crawling around on the ground. JMHO
Old 06-27-2005, 05:38 PM

jump it!

my 95 used to do the same thing, but it was because the goofy GM security system would prevent the car from starting for like 20 mins then it would let it start up
but when i put my new motor in i didnt bother hooking any of that up again and now i dont have that problem lol
Old 06-27-2005, 09:18 PM

Took the battery back to Autozone (under warranty). They tested it and said it was still good.

Ordered an LT4 starter from there, any suggestions if that doesn't remedy the problem? Ignition cylinder?
Old 06-27-2005, 09:43 PM

Possibly ignition switch (not referring to key cylinder). Could also be the theft deterrent relay. Starting system schematics are on my Tech Page.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by shoebox
Possibly ignition switch (not referring to key cylinder). Could also be the theft deterrent relay. Starting system schematics are on my Tech Page.
OK. Where exactly are both of those parts located in the car? I looked at the schematics, but I'm pretty much an amateur and that diagram doesn't help me all that much... Also, what's involved in replacing both of them? I have a bad feeling that the starter isn't going to solve the problem.

Thanks

edit: nm on the ignition switch, i see the r&r on your site.

Last edited by 95Z28Maroon; 06-27-2005 at 09:56 PM.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:23 PM

You can do some troubleshooting by following the schematics. The theft deterrent relay is to the right of the glove box, tucked under the dash. The hatch relay is next to it.
Old 06-29-2005, 01:35 PM

TTT with this thread as I'm having more problems and trying to see how to proceed.

Now, I finally get the chance to try to replace the starter this morning and see if that fixes my problem, but I decide to get in the car and try to start it (just in case an electrical part got wet or something).

Now, in addition to no cranking or starting, there is absolutely no battery power. I did not leave any interior lights or anything on overnight. I took the battery off and put it on the charger, and the battery is totally dead, pulling full charge.

Unless two or more things crapped out on me at the same time, should I be looking further at the battery? Autozone tested it the other day and claims it was good, but I didn't try putting a "I know it's working for sure" battery on the car. So could they be BSing me? Also, should I be looking at the alternator at this point?
Old 06-29-2005, 02:20 PM

Did they just test the cells or did they put a full charge on it too? If the battery is "good" is still needs a charge. If your battery is dead, it either won't hold a charge and they were wrong, or you need to charge it.

Driving around with it won't charge it.

If your battery is good and fully charged then, of course, it could be the cables. My guess is the battery in NOT good and buying a new starter could be a waste of money. And...if they sold you a new starter based on the premise that your battery was good, you should be able to get your money back and use it to buy a new battery. JMHO
Old 06-29-2005, 11:50 PM

take your starter out and have them test it or test it yourself. Be sure to watch the monkeys when they test it too. Look for them to put the + on the large post, a large ground clip to the body, a power wire on the small post to simulate the ignition switch, and some alligator clips for voltage readings. When given power to the + terminal, and power to the solinoid, the starter should spin and make sure the armature pushes the end out or else its broken.
Old 01-05-2021, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by ReaverZ28
HAd somthing like this happen turned out my starter was broken in half. "dont ask I still dont know."

this is crazy I just looked and my starter I had the same issue of no start it would clank. Starter is split in half.
Old 01-05-2021, 10:34 PM

On my old Camaro if you didn't use the correct number of shims that could happen. Also not tightening the bolts correctly or using the wrong starter could also cause this. Sounds like this isn't that uncommon.

Last edited by mrmint69; 01-06-2021 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Misspelling
Old 01-05-2021, 10:36 PM
Administrator

He has another thread going on this. I'm locking this one so we don’t create confusion and duplicated effort. I copied your post to the other thread:

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/gen...-start-888674/

Last edited by Injuneer; 01-05-2021 at 10:51 PM.
Old 03-20-2021, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by 95Z28Maroon
Hello,

Thanks.
happened to me back in 2009 I still have the same 96 z28. Get under the car with 2 alligator clips and a wire and jump the starter while the key is turned over. Its a security feature and its annoying lol. Hope this helps