LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

4#'s vacuum after H/C swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 09:54 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by rclearyiii
I would be absolutely sure the valves are adjusted properly and then check for vacum leaks. Take a propane torch like a plumber uses and turn it on so there is a little bit of gas flowing from it. With the engine running...put it near the intake to head seals and around any vacum hoses. If there is a leak..the rpm's will go up to a noticeable extent.
Neat, thanks for the tip ---
Old 11-01-2009, 10:55 AM

Other areas to check are where the injectors enter the intake manifold. Years ago I found a vacuum leak at one of the injector "O" rings where the #1 injector entered the intake.

Jake

West Point ROCKS! Nation's TOP COLLEGE per Forbes Magazine!! Graduation Day Parade 20 May 2010!!!
Old 11-02-2009, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Just curious... have you ever actually measured the intake manifold vacuum, or are you simply accepting your mechanic's statement that it is "4#"?
I do not have a vacuum gauge so I'mjust going by what he said, I could borrow a buddy's gauge I guess.

Originally Posted by JAKEJR
Other areas to check are where the injectors enter the intake manifold. Years ago I found a vacuum leak at one of the injector "O" rings where the #1 injector entered the intake.

Jake

West Point ROCKS! Nation's TOP COLLEGE per Forbes Magazine!! Graduation Day Parade 20 May 2010!!!
I had a real bitch of a time w/ one of the injectors. I put all new o-rings on them and I had to use a pry bar and push off the cowl to get one back in. how did you find it was indeed leaking?
Old 11-02-2009, 05:12 PM
Administrator

I think in a week-and-a-half it might have been a good idea to actually measure the vacuum, rather than go by what appeared to be a questionable piece of information. Vacuum gauges are cheap.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by zzoomin
I had a real bitch of a time w/ one of the injectors. I put all new o-rings on them and I had to use a pry bar and push off the cowl to get one back in. how did you find it was indeed leaking?
They shouldn't have been that hard to put in. Did you use any kind of lubrication on the O-rings? If you had to force them in that hard I would think you would roll an oring. Use the unlit torch and look there.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by zzoomin
.I had a real bitch of a time w/ one of the injectors. I put all new o-rings on them and I had to use a pry bar and push off the cowl to get one back in. how did you find it was indeed leaking?
From something I read, the "O" rings come in different sizes. So if you used ones that are too large, a leak there is something to consider and check-out.

There are several different ways to find a vacuum leak and I've tried most of them over the years. I've been using just plain old water, from my garden hose lately. I'm just careful not to flood the electrical connections or the Opti.

I found the "O" ring leak by flooding the #1 injector area, where the injector enters the intake manifold, with water. The idling engine stumbled and white smoke exited the mufflers.

When I pulled the injector, I found TWO "O" rings on that injector. Apparently when I changed injectors, I didn't notice that one of the "O" rings remained in the manifold. So when I installed the new injectors, the #1 injector ended up with TWO "O" RINGS. That was enough to cause a vacuum leak.

These engines are VERY sensitive to vacuum leaks. Even a very tiny header leak up-stream of the 02 sensor caused my engine to run rough.

Checking for a vacuum leak is GOOD advice. Even if you don't have one, checking will eliminate it as a possible cause.

Jake

Old 11-03-2009, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
I think in a week-and-a-half it might have been a good idea to actually measure the vacuum, rather than go by what appeared to be a questionable piece of information. Vacuum gauges are cheap.
indeed, however I've been too busy fishing and on my few days off I'm too sore after handling 15,000lbs of product a day to even think about popping the hood. but its right up there on my 'to-do list'
Originally Posted by LearJet
They shouldn't have been that hard to put in. Did you use any kind of lubrication on the O-rings? If you had to force them in that hard I would think you would roll an oring. Use the unlit torch and look there.
yeah I hit each one w/ wd-40 and was careful to make sure it didn't roll cause it wanted to and I had no idea why it was so tough going in, I inspected everything a bunch of times. I'll try the torch tho and then some water after that just to double check.
Originally Posted by JAKEJR
From something I read, the "O" rings come in different sizes. So if you used ones that are too large, a leak there is something to consider and check-out.

There are several different ways to find a vacuum leak and I've tried most of them over the years. I've been using just plain old water, from my garden hose lately. I'm just careful not to flood the electrical connections or the Opti.

I found the "O" ring leak by flooding the #1 injector area, where the injector enters the intake manifold, with water. The idling engine stumbled and white smoke exited the mufflers.

When I pulled the injector, I found TWO "O" rings on that injector. Apparently when I changed injectors, I didn't notice that one of the "O" rings remained in the manifold. So when I installed the new injectors, the #1 injector ended up with TWO "O" RINGS. That was enough to cause a vacuum leak.

These engines are VERY sensitive to vacuum leaks. Even a very tiny header leak up-stream of the 02 sensor caused my engine to run rough.

Checking for a vacuum leak is GOOD advice. Even if you don't have one, checking will eliminate it as a possible cause.

Jake

the o-rings seemed to be the exact same size, they came w/ all the other gaskets. I remember taking an o-ring off each injector tho when I put the new ones on, probably just shoulda left the old ones on..

thanks again people! when I finally get some time to look at it I'll let y'all know how I made out, til then if you got any other ideas post em up! =)
Old 11-23-2009, 10:23 PM

What's the latest update?
Old 11-24-2009, 07:47 AM

My idle RPM is et at a rock solid 800 RPM.