LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

What do you protect your LS1 with?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2002, 07:04 PM

Originally posted by casebuzz
Not to get too off-topic, but I love to mess with people's alarms, especially the ones that have the sensitivity way too high. Goose the throttle in the parking lot and they give the warning beep. Rev it up a little more as I'm leaving and set the thing off. I guess aftermarket alarms are good for something besides content protection

Remember my last statment.....Hello
Old 12-11-2002, 07:28 PM

As previous posts have explained, Alarms for the most part are completely IGNORED when they go off.

Lo-Jack will help you get your ride back if you report it stolen soon enough.

I go with the stock alarm for the noise angle, and powerlock for the ignition kill angle. Check it out at Powerlock.com

I have not heard any negative opinions about this product. If you have, let me know!
Old 12-11-2002, 09:01 PM

Originally posted by 2000TA
Remember my last statment.....Hello
Yes, you've found me out, I'm a brat kid who's insanely jealous of the guy that spent way too much money on an alarm and has earned the disdain of all of his neighbors by jacking the sensitivity of it up so high that a Z28 with a 2OTL catback can set it off from the adjacent parking spot

Listen, I'm all for aftermerket alarms for content protection. I still have a pretty nice Clifford unit on my old Blazer. That alarm helped me sleep at night knowing there was at least something to deter someone from smashing through the back window and grabbing the expensive stereo gear that resided back there (now in wife's Alero).

When it comes to protection against vehicle theft, I'll stick with Passlock. A DEI dealer coming on the message board and telling me that "that little chip" is easy to bypass isn't going to convince me otherwise. First of all there's more to Passlock than that little chip and second he's trying to sell his product. I'm not saying Passlock is invincible, I'm merely saying that someone with the knowhow to bypass that system isn't going to be stopped by some one-size-fits-all aftermarket unit, DEI or otherwise. If a thief like that wants my car, he's going to get it regardless.

But hey, spend your money how you like. If it helps you sleep at night it's worth it. I don't lose sleep as it is, so I think you know where I stand...
Old 12-11-2002, 09:17 PM

Exclamation

I personally carry an EXCALIBUR- somthing, I thinks its the gold series or 1000. I don't know but its the best excalibur has to offer. It has remote start, truck pops open, windows roll down and its not extremely sensitive. Alarms have saved my previous cars from getting broken into, so I figure its worked for me. I'm very careful with my audio when it comes to cranking it up. I usually turn it off or lower it about 1 mile before I hit home. I'm also carefull about where I take my car and where I park it. I'm always on the lookout.
Old 12-11-2002, 09:19 PM

Originally posted by casebuzz
Yes, you've found me out, I'm a brat kid who's insanely jealous of the guy that spent way too much money on an alarm and has earned the disdain of all of his neighbors by jacking the sensitivity of it up so high that a Z28 with a 2OTL catback can set it off from the adjacent parking spot

Well sorry Dude I did not mean to Dog you out like that... just kinda got to me when you said you rev up your car to set off the alarm.... Not trying to start no Trouble here
Old 12-11-2002, 09:37 PM

Originally posted by 2000TA
Well sorry Dude I did not mean to Dog you out like that... just kinda got to me when you said you rev up your car to set off the alarm.... Not trying to start no Trouble here
Heh, no problem. It just irks me when people have their alarms set up so damn sensitive that a muffled exhaust triggers them. It's not like I'm running open headers on an old 454 or like I'm rolling around parking lots looking for blinking red lights to rev on. If I screw with someone's alarm, it's always because I tripped it shutting the door or starting the car. If someone's alarm is that sensitive, I'm going to mess with it.
Old 12-11-2002, 09:43 PM

Re: Re: Re: What do you protect your LS1 with?

Originally posted by Mystery Z28
As I said earlier, if everyone followed your philosophy, there would be a lot more cars being stolen every day. Some of the technology in alarms thats out today, its unbelievable. Check out the top of the line Viper and Clifford alarms...you'll be amazed.

You can't think like that man, your making it THAT much easier for someone to steal your machine. Sure, nothing is garanteed but, YES, it does make a difference in most cases. You can't assume that every car theif is a professional. Lots of f-bodies out there, why steal one with a nice top of the line state of the art alarm system? Why take that chance?
I'm talking from personal experience. No arguement you make will convience me an alarm does it's job until I get my stereo back. Alarms do NOT work...They are a deterent (however you spell it). They don't prevent, meaning if you got something, someone will take it regardless of what you have protecting it.
Old 12-11-2002, 09:46 PM

Originally posted by My84Z
exactly his point and it isn't that simple if you put the black box under the console or somewhere other than under the steering wheel someone who acts like they know everything such as yourself should know that.
True man..All alarms are hooked up to ignition. They are always in the same place. All horns are put under the hood, you can be smart and do extra stuff like more horns but it's not going to prevent anything from being stolen. When people hear alarms they just assume its your car your getting into. No one cares.
Old 12-11-2002, 10:36 PM
Banned

a garage works the best......
viper 550 remote start and proximity sensors
Old 12-11-2002, 10:57 PM

Originally posted by Ken S
stock alarm.... but I don't have a sub or an fancy aftermarket head unit.. if I had that stuff, I wuold consider..

My philospophy is, if they really wanted to break in, they are going to regardless of what alarm you have.
I agree completely, its like the saying "the lock keeps the honest man honest." My brother wants to put a remote entry on his V6 camaro, I read some where about because of the pass II key system you have to buy some extra equipment to use a after market keyless entry, anyone here know anything about this?
Old 12-11-2002, 11:12 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: What do you protect your LS1 with?

Originally posted by toykilla
I'm talking from personal experience. No arguement you make will convience me an alarm does it's job until I get my stereo back. Alarms do NOT work...They are a deterent (however you spell it). They don't prevent, meaning if you got something, someone will take it regardless of what you have protecting it.
Whatever dude, . So just because of YOUR bad experience, you're advocating to us that we hand over the keys to our cars to criminals???? Thats BS and you know it. Anything is possible, nothing is garanteed. You can say if someone REALLY wanted to take out our President, its possible but that doesn't mean that the Secret Service, and other security measures don't prevent 99.99% of hardcore assassins from even thinking of attempting to take him out. According to you, we shouldn't have the Secret Service. Hell, why have Police Officers? They don't maintain order. This is a slippery slope argument and your rolling down the hill my freind. Maybe you don't care about your car, but my car is very important to me and I want to do whatever I can to prevent anything from happening to it. I'm not going to make it easy for criminals, if they're going to steal my car, they're going to have to put some extra effort for it.

If alarms and other security measures didn't make a significant difference, then cars wouldn't have them. The fact is that studies show in more cases than not, alarms dramatically decrease chances of your car being stolen. Hell, why do you think most new cars come stock with some sort of security system??? Try hot wiring a new car too. You have got to really know what your doing. It is ten million times harder to steal a 2002 f-body than it is to steal a 1969.

You're assuming that every car theif is as professional as Nicolas Cages character (Rains) in Gone in Sixty Seconds. Its just a movie dude. My friends 2000 Integra Type R has had 2 unsuccessful attempts of someone trying to stealing it, and this was in an elite suburb in 4:00 in the morning, but in both cases his STOCK alarm prevented them from stealing it.

And you obviously haven't been keeping up with technology. They're coming out with some pretty wicked security setups that will prevent most theives of getting into your car. Do some research....

Last edited by Mystery Z28; 12-11-2002 at 11:22 PM.
Old 12-12-2002, 02:25 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What do you protect your LS1 with?

Whatever dude, . So just because of YOUR bad experience, you're advocating to us that we hand over the keys to our cars to criminals???? Thats BS and you know it. Anything is possible, nothing is garanteed. You can say if someone REALLY wanted to take out our President, its possible but that doesn't mean that the Secret Service, and other security measures don't prevent 99.99% of hardcore assassins from even thinking of attempting to take him out. According to you, we shouldn't have the Secret Service. Hell, why have Police Officers? They don't maintain order. This is a slippery slope argument and your rolling down the hill my freind. Maybe you don't care about your car, but my car is very important to me and I want to do whatever I can to prevent anything from happening to it. I'm not going to make it easy for criminals, if they're going to steal my car, they're going to have to put some extra effort for it.

If alarms and other security measures didn't make a significant difference, then cars wouldn't have them. The fact is that studies show in more cases than not, alarms dramatically decrease chances of your car being stolen. Hell, why do you think most new cars come stock with some sort of security system??? Try hot wiring a new car too. You have got to really know what your doing. It is ten million times harder to steal a 2002 f-body than it is to steal a 1969.

You're assuming that every car theif is as professional as Nicolas Cages character (Rains) in Gone in Sixty Seconds. Its just a movie dude. My friends 2000 Integra Type R has had 2 unsuccessful attempts of someone trying to stealing it, and this was in an elite suburb in 4:00 in the morning, but in both cases his STOCK alarm prevented them from stealing it.

And you obviously haven't been keeping up with technology. They're coming out with some pretty wicked security setups that will prevent most theives of getting into your car. Do some research....
Wow man, I don't even want to read all that crap. What's wrong with the stock alarm on Camaro's? Do you think the siren from a high priced Clifford is going to be better than the horn honking? What's the difference. Did I ever say hand your keys to criminals? No, I said no alarm will ever stop anyone from stealing what they want. If they want it, they will take it. Bottom line. I agree with the above post about locking your doors keeps the honest man honest. It won't keep anyone from stealing anything so why spend all that money on a fancy, high priced alarm?
Old 12-12-2002, 02:30 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What do you protect your LS1 with?

True, your so right in that matter. You spend all this money to keep someone from getting into your car. Fancy crap, this, that. All this technology won't stop an old fashion hammer to the window. Honestly, the best bet to stop someone from stealing a stereo is a custom install. Something that will make the crook take time to remove. Anyone can break a window with a hammer, and remove a sub box in less than a minute. While your beloved alarm is going off. What will it do? Unless the alarm company is willing to pay for anything stolen from your car while it's installed. It just isn't worth it.
Old 12-12-2002, 05:10 AM

Talking

Smith & Wesson

SteveC
Old 12-12-2002, 05:15 AM

stock alarm...i tried a aftermarket viper alarm years ago and the damm thing drove me nuts!!

no more aftermarket alarms for me!

eric

Quick Reply: What do you protect your LS1 with?