LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

What do you protect your LS1 with?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2002, 05:35 PM

Question What do you protect your LS1 with?

I'm in the market to buy a new alarm. I don't think too highly of stock alarms, even though its not too bad. I've been doing my homework...so far...

I'm interested in the following car alarms...

Clifford...

Viper...

I want the absolute top of line car alarm with everything, remote start, etc....

Which do you have experience with??
Old 12-10-2002, 05:58 PM

stock alarm.... but I don't have a sub or an fancy aftermarket head unit.. if I had that stuff, I wuold consider..

My philospophy is, if they really wanted to break in, they are going to regardless of what alarm you have.
Old 12-10-2002, 06:13 PM

Originally posted by Ken S
stock alarm.... but I don't have a sub or an fancy aftermarket head unit.. if I had that stuff, I wuold consider..

My philospophy is, if they really wanted to break in, they are going to regardless of what alarm you have.
If everyone felt that way, then there would be a lot more stolen cars out there. Its like saying if someone wants to break into your house, they're going to break into it no matter what kind of security system you have.

Check into some of the alarms they have there now, sure, it doesn't garantee anything but it sure lessens the chances of potential problems.
Old 12-10-2002, 07:36 PM

go with viper. a friend has it, its very sensitive and works good with remote opening at long ranges. (hint for anyone if you put the remote to your throat it will increase range, i think something to do with your voice box. but it works i tried it)
Old 12-10-2002, 07:43 PM

I have the viper 550 W/ remote start. Have had it on 2 cars and it works great. When I worked at Circuit City everybody had vipers. The clifford was an ak alarm but the Viper was alot better. Tip, get the people that install the alarm to put the reciever ant. in the headliner next to the front window. I actually get a range over a 1/4 of a mile with it there. Also, the putting it to your throat thing works (as well as with guarge door openers) by using your body as an amplifier. Just like when you hold onto rabbit ears on your TV (before cable or sat) and the reception got better.
Old 12-10-2002, 09:26 PM

Clifford or Viper

Well I worked at a car audio place for 2 years and we carried both alarms.... as for me I stick with the Viper however the Clifford is good as well... the viper has less problems we had alot of problems with Clifford.... It is a good alarm but very touchy.... I think Clifford was bought out by DEI wich is the same company that makes the Viper. I have the 550 from Viper..... My car is completely stock stereo and all.... The way I see it if you don't try to protect it it is like giving them the keys ant telling them to talk it ... my brother had his 94 Z28 stolden 2 weeks ago HE HAD NO ALARM..... think about it hwat car would you try to take if you were a theif one with the alarm or one without?
Old 12-10-2002, 09:46 PM

Arrow What do you protect your LS1 with?

Originally posted by Mystery Z28:
What do you protect your LS1 with?
A Glock 21
Old 12-10-2002, 11:08 PM

LOL, true. want a good security system? stick a rattler in there and NO one will mess with your car. my boy takes off the steering wheel of his car whenever he leaves it.... i mean, who's gonna be carring around a steering wheel when they're gonna jack a car? unless someone who doesnt like you wants to jack your car, they're not gonna know to take a steering wheel when jacking your ride.

saw something on the news about the government making some bad ***, state of the art security SUV... it like throws rockets or something, drops spikes on the floor if someone's following you, it's bullet proof and stuff... but i think the best part of it is that when you touch the door handle, it electrocutes you, lol.

thats my worse fear though... spending mad money on a car and having it stolen... i'd die
Old 12-10-2002, 11:53 PM

Re: What do you protect your LS1 with?

Originally posted by Mystery Z28
I'm in the market to buy a new alarm. I don't think too highly of stock alarms, even though its not too bad. I've been doing my homework...so far...

I'm interested in the following car alarms...

Clifford...

Viper...

I want the absolute top of line car alarm with everything, remote start, etc....

Which do you have experience with??
Do you honestly think alarms work? Come on now. What's it going to do? I've seen and heard alarms go off in parking lots and people don't even look. The reason being, no one ****ing cares. If you've seen gone in 60 seconds you can disconnect an alarm in like 10 seconds. What's the point of them? They aren't going to prevent anyone from breaking into your car. If you want an alarm get LoJack.
Old 12-11-2002, 04:11 AM

Originally posted by Mystery Z28
If everyone felt that way, then there would be a lot more stolen cars out there. Its like saying if someone wants to break into your house, they're going to break into it no matter what kind of security system you have.

Check into some of the alarms they have there now, sure, it doesn't garantee anything but it sure lessens the chances of potential problems.
People do think that way. That's how it is. If someone REALLY wants what you got, no alarm in the world will stop them. For the average teenage punk that rips people off it might stop them. For someone that actually knows a bit about whatever they are doing, it won't do ****. By the way, those noise making alarms don't protect your car from being stolen in any way, shape or form. Sure, they have those ignition kill switches and crap but if someone is going to steal a car i'm sure they know how to kill an alarm.
Old 12-11-2002, 07:00 AM

Clifford Or Viper

Originally posted by toykilla
People do think that way. That's how it is. If someone REALLY wants what you got, no alarm in the world will stop them. For the average teenage punk that rips people off it might stop them. For someone that actually knows a bit about whatever they are doing, it won't do ****. By the way, those noise making alarms don't protect your car from being stolen in any way, shape or form. Sure, they have those ignition kill switches and crap but if someone is going to steal a car i'm sure they know how to kill an alarm.

Dispite what people think if you look at the stats more cars are stolden without an alarm than one with.... yes it is true there is a chance it can be stolden with an alarm. but like I said before the eisier it is to take the more likely it is to be taken. every little bit helps.... Its like saying why lock the doors to the house everyone know how to kick down the door for that matter why even have a door...
Old 12-11-2002, 07:26 AM

Alpine with a remote pager that pages you when the alarm goes off and tells you what was touched ro make it go off. I will be getting one of those hopefully this summer.
Old 12-11-2002, 07:36 AM

Re: Clifford Or Viper

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 2000TA
Dispite what people think if you look at the stats more cars are stolden without an alarm than one with.... yes it is true there is a chance it can be stolden with an alarm. but like I said before the eisier it is to take the more likely it is to be taken. every little bit helps.... Its like saying why lock the doors to the house everyone know how to kick down the door for that matter why even have a door... [/QUOTE

Honestly, why like the doors to your house? Someone will get in if they want in. Might as well have 1 less thing to repair. Having an alarm on a house is just a bit different than a car. You have people like ADT that are monitering your home 365 days a year, 24 hours a day. Your home also protects your family, something that can NOT be replaced. No alarm will prevent ANYTHING from happening to your car or from anything being stolen out of it. An alarm might protect you from idiots that don't know what they are doing but if you have something in your car that someone will want or have a nice car that someone might want to steal. An alarm will do nothing and in all honestly, what's the point in having an alarm on a stock car? If you must have an alarm, get LoJack. NO alarm will prevent anything from being stolen out of it or your car being stolen itself but LoJack can atleast find it ASAP.

Last edited by toykilla; 12-11-2002 at 07:52 AM.
Old 12-11-2002, 08:09 AM

Re: Re: Re: What do you protect your LS1 with?

Originally posted by robvas
ROFL

a Neon Green eclipe will run 10's with 2 bottles of nawwws too.
Your right, cutting wires is soo hard. The average moron couldn't do it...What movie did a green neon eclipse run 10 seconds in the 1/4 mile?? I must have missed that movie. Be realistic, what's so hard for you guys to see my point?? It's not like i'm saying imports are better than domestics. Your just disagreeing because I don't have a Camaro. Read it and god forbid, think about it. Car alarms do ****ing nothing, I know from experience how much they do.
Old 12-11-2002, 08:50 AM

Get a lojack and an unbreakable auto lock!

Quick Reply: What do you protect your LS1 with?