LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Need Help!! Starter?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 01:56 PM

Need Help!! Starter?

New user - hello everyone.

Yesterday, after having my 2002 Z28 sit for a number of months, I replaced the battery only to experience a series of problems. When I first hooked up the battery the car started right up and I turned it off. When I went to turn it back on, the key moved all the way past the starter position to where it stopped and nothing.

I had a security light that wouldn't go away so bypassed the vats (I have a number 8 key at 4750 ohm and got the 5% resistors and managed 4747 ohms). The security light is gone now (finally) but the key does the same thing - turns all the way and doesn't do anything. I can't hear fuel, none of the dash panel lights come on - nothing at all.

I checked every fuse and they are good. When I put the key in the ignition I hear beeping when the door is open. The stereo accepted the loc code just fine and it works. Dome lights turn on and off properly when you open and shut the door. I tried waiting 30 minutes to see if the computer would reset and still nothing. I turned the key to just before start and left it for 15 minutes and nothing. As always, the key turns all the way with absolutely no resistance and nothing.

Completely at a loss here - does anyone have any ideas? I would think if it was the starter I would hear the fuel pump engage at the very least. I can't drive the car anywhere and the nearest dealership is about 65 miles away (not going to tow it that far).
Old 08-04-2013, 01:07 PM
Administrator

Re: Need Help!! Starter?

There's a long rod that connects the key cylinder to the ignition switch, lower in the steering column. And I've seen a number of posts recently with people experiencing melted connectors on the ignition switch. Could be a problem with either. These cars are getting old.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:00 PM

I actually got the same answer on another forum. I unbolted the steering wheel to get a better look but still can't reach the ignition switch with my hand without taking out the whole steering assembly (which I don't have the means to do that). When I brought the steering wheel down about two inches, the gauge cluster started bouncing and I could hear something clicking in my dash (sort of like when you actually start the car just before the engine kicks on). Thing is, I didn't have the key in the ignition. I wasn't going to actually fool with the ignition switch until I unhooked the battery and I'm glad I had the battery still installed to see this. Any thoughts?
Old 08-05-2013, 02:07 AM

Update:

Got to the ignition switch and, as I was trying to unbolt it, the entire actuator rod came out of the steering wheel housing. I compared the rod to pics online and it doesn't look damaged. Looks like I'll be taking apart my steering wheel to see if anything is messed up there...

Too much trouble just to turn a car on and drive it.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:13 PM

Try cleaning the battery terminals. If it is a bad connection, it will work fine under light load, but will short under the starter load.

-Geoff