LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Ls1 Vs. Lt1

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 09:42 PM

Re: Ls1 Vs. Lt1

Originally Posted by Capn Pete
No way! It's way easier to do with an LS1 IMO. Figure, most stock LS1's can dyno in the neighborhood of ~300 rwhp, so you only need another ~100 HP to make 400. What do most stock LT1's make, ~250 rwhp?

I'd say go LS1. My buddy regrets getting a '96 for that reason.
well what do you know. our 1/4 miles are the same and i didn't need 4.10's not trying to call you out. if you re-read my first post i said LS1 also for normal bolt ons. i still stand by the reliability of the long term LT1 abuse. (flame suit on).

david
Old 07-22-2004, 11:34 PM

Sorry to ask a question that you veterans of this site have probably seen over and over. That being said, I appreciate all of your inputs on both ends... I think I'm going to try to go for the LS1, because it def. has lots more stock horses, plus I like the headlights and the updated styling over the previous generation. Now all I've gotta do is sell my mom's car, and I'll get it rollin' (see cars/parts for sale thread for that post)

Thanks again guys... wish me luck!!!
Old 07-23-2004, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by dren70
well what do you know. our 1/4 miles are the same and i didn't need 4.10's not trying to call you out.
Too bad, I'm out!

Would you like to see what I could do with a set of LT's, higher ratio RR's, and a ~2500 stall converter? I'd even switch back to 2.73's if you'd like, but I'd still run almost a full second quicker I bet.
Old 07-23-2004, 06:04 AM

Too bad, I'm out!

Would you like to see what I could do with a set of LT's, higher ratio RR's, and a ~2500 stall converter? I'd even switch back to 2.73's if you'd like, but I'd still run almost a full second quicker I bet.
Damn, you'd think it was a mustang and f-boyd guy in here talking smack, when really its 2 f-body guys.

Oh yeah, having worked on my LT1 and a few buddies LS1s...LS1s are way easier to work on and faster stock, so yeah...of course they are better, thats why they replaced the LT1 with them, lol.

Just get what you can afford. I LOVE my LT1 and got it because it was cheap as hell. Would I like an LS1? Hell yeah, but car notes suck and I can't afford one right now. Bolt ons can get you into LS1 range. LS1 cars are getting cheap now too though. Regardless, just get a V8 4th gen and then go whoop on some mustangs! Either one is plenty enough to get the job done.

Last edited by Amped96; 07-23-2004 at 06:06 AM.
Old 07-23-2004, 02:49 PM

I had one of each (as you can see by my username ) and i have to say that the LS1 is an amazing motor. when i owned both, my friend and i raced them a couple times. the LS1 was BONE STOCK with 2.73s and the LT1 had a CAI, gutted cat, corsa exhaust and 3.23s. it was about dead even from 0 - 40 mph at which point the LS1 would get up and just start to pull away. by 70 or so the LS1 was ahead by 3+ cars.

the LS1 as you may know is underrated. in reality it makes close to 340 hp at the flywheel straight out of the factory where a later LT1 makes around 290(they were slightly underrated too).

im just amazed by the fact that my car has an internally stock motor and makes over 400 flywheel hp with bolt-ons alone. I will always like my old LT1 (particularly the torque and the styling) but there's no way i could have run it to the brink of an 11 second pass (gonna get that slip soon )and make 341 rwhp with ZERO motor modification.

in short, both cars are FAST, without question. if you can afford it however, the LS1 is the way to go. i moved up from the LT1 after getting trounced by a few bone stock ones.

EDIT: also the optispark ignition on the LT1 motor is quite possibly the worst thing to be designed by GM since the chevette.
Old 07-23-2004, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Amped96
Damn, you'd think it was a mustang and f-body guy in here talking smack, when really its 2 f-body guys.
I know, I wasn't trying to start a pi$$ing contest.....trust me, I don't walk around with blinders on and think that LT1's are "slugs" without potential.....I realize that the bottom end of the Gen-II / LT1 is that of a Gen-I 350 SBC, which is probably one of the most tried-and-true platforms ever .

Hey, I also realize I don't have the fastest LS1 out there, and guys with 100% bone-stock LS1's have run faster than my lightly modded car has. BUT, look at 94ZRiCeKiLr's sig.....that's the type of thing I'm talking about.....a car with nothing but bolt-ons, running damn close to an 11.xxx second run! AND, it's hardly any less "streetable" than a bone stock car.
Old 07-24-2004, 12:46 AM

BUT, look at 94ZRiCeKiLr's sig.....that's the type of thing I'm talking about.....a car with nothing but bolt-ons, running damn close to an 11.xxx second run! AND, it's hardly any less "streetable" than a bone stock car.
haha thanx.

BTW: that pass was on 17 inch drag radials and 275/40/17 front tires. no slicks or skinnies to speak of.

Last edited by 94ZRiCeKiLr; 07-24-2004 at 12:51 AM.
Old 07-24-2004, 08:24 AM

Both cars are fantastic!!! Having owned the LS1 for a few months now let me tell you a few differances between it and the LT1.

First, Having owned a LT1 for seven years, I got used to the way it drives.
The LS1 is a smoother running engine. I have noticed the car doesn't have that little shake sitting at the stoplight when idling.

Second, Let me know if this doesn't make sense... It takes a little more pedal to get the same seat of the pants feeling from the LS1 than it took from the LT1. I loved getting the rear tires on my old car to slip with just a small push on the pedal. It took a few months to unlearn the old way and figure out the new. Make sense?

Third, I scared myself driving home from work the first week I had the LS1 when I went to pass someone. The car went from 55 to 85 in the blink of an eye. That's when I knew the motor had a whole bunch more power than the LT1.

Figure out what you want to do with the car. LS1 aftermarket parts cost a little more than LT1 parts right now. That has been changing and the price of aftermarket LS1 parts, plus the assortment, has been getting better.

Both types of cars are great. Buy one and have fun.

HF
Old 07-24-2004, 11:55 AM

Lets see, this is the LS1 forum. I wonder what they will all say in here dumba$$
Old 07-24-2004, 12:04 PM

Hey Jason93,

You have anything intelligent to say?! If not, keep your crap to yourself.

HF
Old 07-24-2004, 12:16 PM

Im simply stating the obvious!!!!!!!!! They both are good motors. Plus, that statement was targeted torwards the original poster
Old 07-24-2004, 12:29 PM

There is always someone faster, no matter what you own.

LS1=LT1 in my usually right opinion, then again it really is all in the way you choose to look at it.
Old 07-24-2004, 01:21 PM

Why did god delete some head bolts from the ls1? I have heard of some strange things with boosted and juiced apps. But for your most likely use as a weekend warrior/DD and LS1 is a great motor.

Rich
Old 07-24-2004, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by jasons93z
Im simply stating the obvious!!!!!!!!! They both are good motors. Plus, that statement was targeted torwards the original poster
Have you noticed a trend though..? Most of the LS1 guys in this thread have owned LT1s in the past. Their input is unbiased as it can be. You could post this same thread (which has been done 1000 times) in LT1 tech and you would get very similar responses.

The LS1 is simply a better motor from the factory. I have owned both cars and I had a pretty quick cam-only LT1. My SS will go just as quick with bolt-ons, if not quicker. With the LS1 you are starting with 15 degree heads, 1.7 rockers, lighter aluminum block, close to shorty headers from the factory, etc. It's a better motor. Period.

Last edited by 97bowtie; 07-24-2004 at 03:35 PM.
Old 07-24-2004, 03:53 PM

The LS1 kicks ***, however LT1s can be had on the cheap side. I got my entire car for 3,000 dollars granted I am rebuilding the transmission and the intake manifold leaks but consider my transmission will have 0 miles on it and that the intake manifold is a relatively easy fix I'd say I got more than a fair deal.

While it is unlikely that a car with 70K miles on it will have a bad transmission, how long will it be before that transmission fails? Was it worth the extra money spent on that car?

There are several things that need to be taken into consideration when purchasing a used car, not just which is better from the factory.

Also it is my understanding that modifying the LT1 car is cheaper due to its abundance of available parts, and used performance parts since it has been around longer.

However the LS1 is faster in stock form, and the body parts are also freshened up.

As far as potential though, they are about the same realistically speaking.

- Z28WannaB

Quick Reply: Ls1 Vs. Lt1