LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

ls1 or lti???

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2004, 03:09 PM

Re: ls1 or lti???

Lol, how about replacing our motors with that bad *** fuel injected 502 crate motor? Would it fit? That would be bad *** if it would.
Old 11-25-2004, 10:23 PM

they crammed the 572 big block into an fbody. the TRUE ZL1 car. Probably took quite a bit of coaxing.
Old 11-26-2004, 03:15 AM

ok gota say somehtin on this one...k so this isnt the first z28 i pulled up next to but at this light some ls1 badass cruised next to me...i have a STOCK lt1 94z...nothin but a CAI...k so the light goes red we stock he revs it up so do i after i put it n nuetral(auto) then back to drive i hear tyhis ls1 cammin and think im not goana see nothin off him but the back of his car...i stall to 1200 green we go...all i see is this cammming ls1 behind me till i hit 100 in 3rd gear and he caught me then i let out...well jus to say most races are over by bout 80 so i slow and we go from a roll 20 roll...i take off im out a car n a half then he catches me about 80 again...neways im happy, i kno he had a cam intake an exhaust...lt1 make killer torque compared to ls1, take off alot better from wat i seen, take the older school motor...also the front end of a lt1 body Z, just look at it it looks freakin scary, exspecially white with the black lights and grill...neways there also TONS cheaper...and compare somehtin basic like throttle bodies for lt1 the biggest one made like 58mm is 290 brand new..ls1 throttle body ill say 350....everything for these cars are about 10-20%more expensive.,..but if price isnt a factor go for w/e look u like better
Daniel
Old 11-26-2004, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by Daniel6718
ok gota say somehtin on this one...k so this isnt the first z28 i pulled up next to but at this light some ls1 badass cruised next to me...i have a STOCK lt1 94z...nothin but a CAI...k so the light goes red we stock he revs it up so do i after i put it n nuetral(auto) then back to drive i hear tyhis ls1 cammin and think im not goana see nothin off him but the back of his car...i stall to 1200 green we go...all i see is this cammming ls1 behind me till i hit 100 in 3rd gear and he caught me then i let out...well jus to say most races are over by bout 80 so i slow and we go from a roll 20 roll...i take off im out a car n a half then he catches me about 80 again...neways im happy, i kno he had a cam intake an exhaust...lt1 make killer torque compared to ls1, take off alot better from wat i seen, take the older school motor...also the front end of a lt1 body Z, just look at it it looks freakin scary, exspecially white with the black lights and grill...neways there also TONS cheaper...and compare somehtin basic like throttle bodies for lt1 the biggest one made like 58mm is 290 brand new..ls1 throttle body ill say 350....everything for these cars are about 10-20%more expensive.,..but if price isnt a factor go for w/e look u like better
Daniel
My head hurts after reading that. Either the guy in the LS1 did a stupid long burn out or it was running on 5 cylinders or something. A STOCK LT1 should have no chance against a cammed LS1. Period. End of discussion. Do not pass go, do not collect $200 dollars.

Also, as far as parts are concerned, throttlebodies are a bad thing to compare. A cheapie cast aluminum BBK/Edelbrock can be had for $300 bucks, but a quality piece like a Holley will run you $500 easy. I don't believe anyone makes a cast LS1 throttlebody (may be wrong though). BTW, the 58mm LT1 throttlebody is a dual blade unit that uses two 58mm bores and throttle plates, it also isn't the biggest you can get. AS&M makes a monoblade that will flow around 1300 CFM.

Each engine has it's good and bad qualities. I personally think the LT1 is a better performance engine due to the reverse cooling and iron block. It's also cheaper to build and modify than it's gen 3 counterpart.

One last thing, it's not the gen 3 motor that is really all that great, it's the gen 3 heads. 15 degrees heads on a factory motor are hard to beat.
Old 11-26-2004, 12:29 PM

My hangover just got a little worse after reading that also. I am obviously biased toward LT1s and I don't like snobby stuck up LS1 owners that think my car is a piece of **** when I race them. However, in defense of LS1 owners in general, I've only raced the guys that aren't cool. I know cool LS1 owners are out there but I just haven't ran one yet. Anyway, I think and, well, know from experience that a modded LS1 will absolutely destroy a stock LT1. So for you to hang in there that well is kinda hard to believe. The closest LS1 race I had was when I lived in Albuquerque. I had the car in my sig and a passenger with the t-tops off. I didn't have the Granatelli, Flowmaster, HPP3, or LT4 KM at the time. The car I raced was a M6 '01 WS6 that was bone stock with the t-tops off and a passenger. We went from a 25-80 or 90 MPH roll each time and at the end of that time he had me by a little over a car. However, he was BONE STOCK and I was lightly modded. The only time I ever gained ground on him was in the super low speeds from like 25-35. I would start to pull at those speeds and then he would stop me and steadily pass me. If we had gone to like 110 or so I bet he would have had 3 cars on me or so. If he would have been cammed I would've been after that race. It did make me feel good that he was pissed off though. Especially after I told him that my only real mods were the CAI and cut off stock exhaust. Then he proceeded to tell me that his car gets more girls and that mine is ugly so I just rolled up the window and turned off at the next light. I do agree that the LS1 WS6 looks a lot better than the LT1 Z28 but he didn't have to be a dick about it.
Old 11-26-2004, 01:13 PM

Ok...reality check .
1st 97WS6 , I would like to know How reverse cooling makes the LT1 a better performance engine ?
And Flex , You can chok that close race up to driver error because I know alot of people with 02 LS1's and not one has a car that traps less then 108 . Wich means they are putting down enough power to effortless leave a car trapping anything around 97-101 and I dont think there is anyway your car is trapping higher then that . When I first got my car I brought it home and raced a few of my friends from a roll in the TA . One of my friends was driving my camaro in sig . @15 MPH I pulled him . and they faster we got the easier I left him . This is a geared/CAi , ect, LT1 capable of 12's

And daniel..What can I say ? BS . A stock LS1 would easily have its way with you .On the highway with a Stock Auto Z ? Youd be nothing . To a cammed LS1 youd be so far behind it wouldnt even be funny . That was a very far fetched story you told and not one person on earth who knows anything about these cars is gonna Buy into the propaganda .

These threads are getting old about LT1 VS LS1 . Whenever one is posted you can always expect to hear some BS story about Joe blows Stock LT1 beating a Beefy LS1 . Or a LT1 having more torque . Right! Come back to earth for a minute .

Last edited by robb4964; 11-26-2004 at 01:16 PM.
Old 11-26-2004, 03:57 PM

lol robb...u can think w/e u want to think bud...i kno wat my car did...i beaten my freinds z with intake and exhaust...the person before i guess babied my car and its stock fast i guess...i can run a 13.4...yall can think im lying or w.e u want come check out ym car, my feinds ran his l98 z28 and ran a 13.5 i raced him the followin day and jumped out a car and stayed out there...neways ls1 are always clow off the line my brother has one and iver raced it 3 times...they pull like a sob after about 4000...as for freeway i kno i would get kiled by any ls1 basically i was jus sayin most ls1 arent that great of take ofdf without many mods to fix it...stock lt1 are good off take off..and most of the time when u race its decited by take off, neways there also much ckheaper to purchase and to mod...LATER
Daniel
Old 11-26-2004, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Daniel6718
lol robb...u can think w/e u want to think bud...i kno wat my car did...i beaten my freinds z with intake and exhaust...the person before i guess babied my car and its stock fast i guess...i can run a 13.4...yall can think im lying or w.e u want come check out ym car, my feinds ran his l98 z28 and ran a 13.5 i raced him the followin day and jumped out a car and stayed out there...neways ls1 are always clow off the line my brother has one and iver raced it 3 times...they pull like a sob after about 4000...as for freeway i kno i would get kiled by any ls1 basically i was jus sayin most ls1 arent that great of take ofdf without many mods to fix it...stock lt1 are good off take off..and most of the time when u race its decited by take off, neways there also much ckheaper to purchase and to mod...LATER
Daniel
Your full of S**t. LS1's will any mods will destroy you from start to finish. The only way you would hang with a LS1 (even from a dig) is by driver error or mechanical failure. A bone stock LS1 with 2.73 gears could hang neck and neck with you till about 80 and then proceed to walk away. Now when school is open again on Monday you should ask your english teacher for a little extra help. It definately looks like you could use a help with spelling and punctuation.

Have a nice weekend and I hope your Thanksgiving was good.
Old 11-26-2004, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by darrens99formul
Your full of S**t. LS1's will any mods will destroy you from start to finish. The only way you would hang with a LS1 (even from a dig) is by driver error or mechanical failure. A bone stock LS1 with 2.73 gears could hang neck and neck with you till about 80 and then proceed to walk away. Now when school is open again on Monday you should ask your english teacher for a little extra help. It definately looks like you could use a help with spelling and punctuation.

Have a nice weekend and I hope your Thanksgiving was good.
************************************************** **********i've also heard that a lt1 will walk away from a ls1, but in the long run the ls1 will catch and pass the lt1 by, I like my lt1 for the looks and what i wanted from this car was huge amounts of torque off the line, and the lt1 does this.

my thought for the lt1 was,i'd rather have fun off the line to 80 or 90 mph, there are going to be few times were i will always be above 90 mph, where the ls1 shows her true colors..............

both engines & cars are great, just depends what your driving needs are.
zoso
Old 11-26-2004, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by zoso1959
************************************************** **********i've also heard that a lt1 will walk away from a ls1, but in the long run the ls1 will catch and pass the lt1 by,
Reguardless of what you heard , reality is what it is . I have owned 2 lt1's and an LS1 and I have driven over a dozen of each . LT1's DO NOT walk LS1's . At least not in the real world . under the circumstances this may have happened ,it was driver error .
I went to the track and I outran a 2004 Cobra when My car was stock . Did I win ? Sure ! was my car faster ? Nope . The guy in the cobra couldnt drive worth a lick .
It boils down to the driver . the car can only do whats its being pushed to do .
Im about done with this thread .If you want the facts go to your local race track and watch a few races . Low 13's to low 14's ...HUGE DIFFERENCE . LS1's are making roughly 50 more HP minumum then an LT1 to the flywheel .
Old 11-26-2004, 07:16 PM

Lol, this is funny. The guy I raced was a good driver and HE BEAT ME. Just not as bad as I thought he would. Plus my LT1 is a pretty strong runner for what it is. No other LT1 that I raced with similar mods could beat me so I know I've got a good runner. And eventually I hope to reduce my car's weight by 1000 pounds so horsepower won't play that much of a role anymore according to the .10 second per 100 pounds rule. Last time I checked, a 13.8 or 13.9 minus 1 = 12.8 or 12.9 so I should be able to get even more middle fingers thrown at me by the LS1 guys. I'd have to slow down first to be able to see their kind gestures though, of course
Old 11-27-2004, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by FLeXNuTZ
Lol, this is funny. The guy I raced was a good driver and HE BEAT ME. Just not as bad as I thought he would. Plus my LT1 is a pretty strong runner for what it is. No other LT1 that I raced with similar mods could beat me so I know I've got a good runner. And eventually I hope to reduce my car's weight by 1000 pounds so horsepower won't play that much of a role anymore according to the .10 second per 100 pounds rule. Last time I checked, a 13.8 or 13.9 minus 1 = 12.8 or 12.9 so I should be able to get even more middle fingers thrown at me by the LS1 guys. I'd have to slow down first to be able to see their kind gestures though, of course
1000 lbs? That is a lot of weight reduction. With how inexpensive it is to do a good heads/cam combo on a LT1 (compared to a LS1 anyway) you might be better off getting the power you want that way. Just shave a little off of weight so the car doesn't end up having no interior anymore. Besides 12.8 is only good enough to beat stock or almost stock LS1's. Any LS1 with the basics (lid, catback and headers) will run those times or better.

If you really want to **** off some LS1 guys then go heads/cam. Then you can beat most of them, have a full interior and sound mean as hell while you do it.
Old 11-27-2004, 09:16 AM

Wink Re: ls1 or lti???

1000lbs?

are you going to remove your engine,trans and rear to get your weight down?
Old 11-27-2004, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by BirchMan98z
Hm. think I got misunderstood. I meant LT-4 heads were better than lt-1 heads, not LS-1 heads. LOL And what does that link have to do with heads anyway? C5R heads flow well over 400cfm, and the new c6 z06 heads are supposed to flow near 370 stock. LS-1/6 heads flow great from the factory, and are able to flow some awesome numbers when ported to the max.
I seriously doubt LS7 heads will flow 370cfm. From what I've heard they're CNC ported LS2's. Considering the LS7 is only supposed to make 500fwhp which is in the 430-450rwhp range, there will be no need for more than maybe 310cfm.
Old 11-27-2004, 09:45 PM

Well, my goal is 1000 pounds. There will be $$$$ parts that need to be replaced also such as light weight brakes, k-member, etc. etc. I'll also be using speed glass since my current windshield is screwed up anyway and using all speed glass will save 64 pounds according to their site. I do plan on heads/cam, built motor, and a turbo or supercharger in the future. I just think that serious weight reduction would really help out a lot along with the power mods. BTW, my interior will look stock except for the back seat and seatbelts. I wouldn't want anyone in the back seat anyway because they are designed for midgets and I don't need an extra 300+ pounds in the back seats when I come up against a LS1 or even a LT1 for that matter. IOW, people probably won't want to mooch a ride if there is no back seat in the car.

Quick Reply: ls1 or lti???